Thread: Car wash casused a short! DSC, ABS, ASC.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330xi

Car wash casused a short! DSC, ABS, ASC.

Hey all,

I've had a second hand '02 330xi for quite some time and just like the previous owner, I take care of her. However I was in a "touchless" car was the other day and I think one of the spray nozzles managed to get water into my RF headlight assembly and possibly short something out. First it was the RF xenon DS2 was working intermittently, then not at all. Then when I would flip the lights on, I would get those DSC, ABS & ASC dash lights:

I replaced the DS2 bulb, dried out the assembly as best as I could, however the next day it was back to this:

I'm still getting those dashboard lights when I flip on my lights, but not every time. I plugged in my OBE2 reader (simple Bluetooth one) and there are no pending or logged fault codes. Nothing.

I've searched these boards and others, but I couldn't find anyone with the exact issue I'm having. I'm at a loss fellas.

Any thoughts?

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Obvious in your photo is a vast amount of moisture behind the lamp shield...not good! The wiring and plug assembly for the lamp are generally protected from rain-water intrusion. I have had moistur collect inside the lamp, both sides. The lamp covers, are easy to remove and clean out the moisture...but check the rubber gasket, also check the lamp body vent..(3/8 inch diameter) located at the bottom. It has a screen...sometimes spiders web here..YES...and when enough prea has been caught..eaten, this vent hole becomes blocked...then condensation begins.

I would begin to think your issue with headlamp moisture may be a start with something else already in the waiting...?

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Wow..just noticed...you have 300k?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330xi
    Hey thanks for the reply. Yes it's not good to have the moisture back there, but I seem to have fixed that.

Do you have any idea what could be causing those dash lights when I turn my lights on?

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    If memory serves me, I've had those lights come up on two occasions. Once because I had to reset my steering angle sensor after changing control arm bushings, the other was when I had a faulty wheel sensor.

I'd suggest a scan with a BMW specific scan tool to figure out what direction you need to go in. I supposed it's possible that the high pressure water or even the dryer could have blown debris into something or got something wet. In my case, my wheel sensor was full of debris. I just cleaned it out so that the sensor could "see" and all was well after that.

My Cars
    06 330ci zhp convertible
    hey brother, just on the island here.

I have 272K kms and going strong. also have the 'trifecta' lights on. I tried the inpa software but it didnt help me. I am trying ista+ software next and will let you know if i can find out what causes those lights for me.

I have been driving over a year with them on, no harm yet, but i dont want to push it any longer.