Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on BMW rear view mirror replacements

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6

Update on BMW rear view mirror replacements

So I think the majority of Z3 owners probably don't like the OEM mirror or placement because it blocks so much of the right of center view. I found myself ducking under that damn mirror on every twisty road and every right hand corner. BMW uses a "tri-lobe" mirror mount that seems like BMW is the only user of such a weird mount. I wasn't around early enough to get in on Gary's mirror adapter or Uptite's eBay mirror sales. So I tried the usual cheap mirrors from Autozone and O'Reilly, mirrors with new wedge shaped mounts under the OEM mount. The problem of frontal view being blocked was nearly eliminated. Only problem was the mirrors buzzed so badly, you couldn't see what was behind you. Was it a cop or just a SUV with a rack on top?

So I started looking for another option. Browsing Summit Racing for better wedge mount mirrors found a company named Brandmotion. They have a bunch of expensive auto dimming and OEM spec mirrors that looked interesting. I was thinking that perhaps something more expensive would have a better build quality and eliminate the buzzing rear view. Then I came across the holly grail. They make a mirror mount adapter for converting tri-lobe mirror mounts to wedge base mounts. It is a aluminum adapter with a set screw that anchors the adapter onto BMW's OEM mirror mount. So no more need of a second wedge base mount for replacement mirrors. The best part is the unit only costs $25. The manufacturer number is 5000-TFAB. Here's a link to Summit Racings listing:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...tfab/overview/

After finding this piece I started looking at their entire line of replacement mirrors. I found one that looked promising. It has a real thick piece of glass facing mirror. It uses a double articulated mount and is a little bit narrower than the OEM mirror. It too is manual dimming, which is what my MZ3 mirror is. I've mounted it and can report that it doesn't buzz or vibrate and looks to be a winner for me. The cost is reasonable too at $40 from Summit Racing. The model number is 9002-9701. They have a couple more mirrors in the same model sequence, but I can't tell what the differences are from Summit's website. Here is a link to their listing:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...9701/overview/

With the mirror mount adapter and this mirror, I can place the top of the mirror right up to the header. So it adds an inch or more of new frontal view real estate. If you rely on an interior rear view mirror, I think this setup is something to consider. Finding the mirror adapter is a great find if you want to be able to go back to stock mirror down the road. I word of caution though. When mounting the mirror, you need to not crank down the set screw on the mirror. If you do it acts like a Press and will pull the mirror mount adapter off of the OEM mirror mount. I have mind just tight enough to prevent any movement and stop. The mirror doesn't buzz or vibrate with this recommendation or at least not in my roadster. If I have issues in the future, I'll just install a new wedge base mount and bypass the OEM mount. The mirror is a keeper no matter method of mounting.
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Why are the links being hijacked? Is there something wrong with bimmerforums?
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    Good question. You have the part numbers at least you can go find them at Summit Racing manually. Brandmotion's site has them too, but at a higher price.

I also found another adapter that they make. It is a one inch spacer that lifts the mirror mount another inch further out, which might allow more adjustment and placement higher and further into the car. Meaning that the mirror is mounted closer to your head, which makes looking around it a little easier. Though I haven't tried it so don't know how well it would work. It is part number 5000-SPCR for $64. It uses two set screws to hold against the mirror adapter and OEM mount. I might try this just to be able to tight down a set screw without pressing the mount adapter off of the OEM mount. I found that my OEM mount is damaged and now has a slot right were the adapter set screw tightens down to. So the set screw has less real estate to tighten onto. I might have to make up a epoxy dab on to my OEM mount to prevent the mount adapter from being pressed off of the OEM mount. I've looked at replacement OEM mounts and they don't have the slot that is on my OEM mount.
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    The two links in Post #1 work OK for me.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    The two links in Post #1 work OK for me.
    Same here.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    z3
    Links seem OK to me too...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6
    They don't work for me either. What browser are you guys using? I'm on a Mac with Safari as my browser. The window that comes up for me is "www.viglink.com/merchants". I don't get an option of going onto the actual linked page at Summit Racing.
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I'm using Firefox. I think there is a way to turn viglink off, but I'm not sure how I did it.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    IE 11 and hijacked :-(

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I guess after half a decade I've learned the Z3 duck under the mirror move... but at a low priority, had been thinking about going the Cobra or AH-3000 route where it would mount on top of the dash, and the stalk would be upward vs the downward from the windshield... actually at one point had located a couple three possibles, but never actually got to doing anything... but had you (OP, or others) thought about such... or thought about such and rejected the notion?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Hijacked here too using Firefox. Did a little research and found an opt out option from Viglink: http://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

This appears to work as the links to Summit Racing in the first post appear to work.

My Cars
    1996 Z3 E36(7) M44
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Hijacked here too using Firefox. Did a little research and found an opt out option from Viglink: http://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

This appears to work as the links to Summit Racing in the first post appear to work.
    Bingo that worked!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp

Thank you... worked :-)

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6

That worked for me too. The original links now work. How and the heck did VIGLINK get enabled in the first place? Well perhaps another topic for another day.

Re: the dash top option. I'm going to be adding gauges to my MZ3 and will be using the dash top for a gauge pod. If I'm going to do something drastic like that, I wouldn't have a place to do a mirror in that position. I haven't gone down that road yet. But with the mount adapter and this model mirror, it takes care of mirror location problem without having to take a different approach. Besides, I don't know if a dash mounted mirror would be high enough to go over the soft top plastic window. If you are using the OEM wind deflector, the higher mirror mount location can look over the top of the screen. So another benefit of keeping a high position for the rear view mirror. Or that's my two cents opinion.

Dennis
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe
    Great info! Thanks very much, Dennis. I keep telling myself I like the overall oval design of the OEM mirror which shape is repeated by the side mirrors. Call it visually "cohesive."

The truth is, that the OEM rear view mirror significantly impedes front visibility and I'll likely fix that issue soon.
    Last edited by paul4223; 08-06-2017 at 10:43 PM.

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6

I'm happy with this addition/modification

Quote Originally Posted by paul4223 View Post
    Great info! Thanks very much, Dennis. I keep telling myself I like the overall oval design of the OEM mirror which shape is repeated by the side mirrors. Call it visually "cohesive."

The truth is, that the OEM rear view mirror significantly impedes front visibility and I'll likely fix that issue soon.

I didn't like the idea of changing either. But for my driving enjoyment and safety, getting that mirror out of the way was more important. I really don't know how or why BMW would block the frontal view with their mirror design like this. I went for a spirited drive this afternoon with the new mirror, and it was a joy to be able to see the "line" on right hand turns and curves. And without any buzzing or vibrations that the cheaper mirrors presented. I'm very pleased with this addition/modification. I don't know what Gary's adapter looked like or Uptite's either. But this one from Brandmotion is doing the job for what I'd consider cheap cost. Just be careful when mounting the mirror of your choice with tightening the mirror screw. Like I mentioned earlier, my OEM mount has a defect or chip out of the mount right were the set screw tightens down. So if I over tighten the mirror screw, it acts like a "press" and can pull the adapter mount off of the OEM mount. So far this setup has worked for me and some of my roads are pretty rough. The mirror hasn't fallen off, so I'm good to go now. I might put a dab of epoxy where my damaged mount slot is. But I'll worry about that a little bit latter.

Dennis
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    I've been running an '03/'04 Mini Cooper mirror in my Coupe for about 5 years now. Small oval shape, somewhat similar to original, just not as long. It snaps on to a modified e36 mirror stem, as in shortened to a stub.
    I took a couple extras up to Der Schuh back in May, but never pulled them out of the hatch - too much going on.
    -Donny

My Cars
    E36/8 M Coupe, 911/997.2
    Thanks for posting this! Replacing my mirror has been on my (low) priority list for years now, more so because of the concern for the dimmer fluid leaking out, but going with a slimmer mirror will be an added bonus.

I probably have become so used to amount of viewing obstruction that our stock mirrors cause, that I won't realize how much obstruction it actually causes until I replace it with a slimmer one...
    Ben

'00 M Coupe (my daily for almost 10 glorious years now)
    '09 911 (wife's daily/my bucket list)
    '08 Z4 Coupe (wife's, sold, sometimes regrettably)
    '91 E34 M5 (gone, but not forgotten)
    '88 E30 (kid's)

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I was in early enough to get one of Uptite's shortened mirror stems which completely solves the problem with the OE mirror. It just goes to show, buy it when it first appears--so many things I've bought for my ///M have vanished from the market place right after I bought them that now I don't hesitate--if I see something available, I just buy it--no hemming no hawing, just pull the trigger and be done.

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6
    I was in early enough to get one of Uptite's shortened mirror stems which completely solves the problem with the OE mirror. It just goes to show, buy it when it first appears--so many things I've bought for my ///M have vanished from the market place right after I bought them that now I don't hesitate--if I see something available, I just buy it--no hemming no hawing, just pull the trigger and be done.
    Unfortunately not all of us were MZ3 owners when those products came around. I have been waiting for Gary since his site says he's making mount adapters again. Though I never received an email reply. Just ........nothing. I went a couple weeks without the mirror and felt lost and blind. I needed a fix and got lucky finding this adapter. Worse case these days is to just install a wedge shaped mirror mount below the OEM mount. With double axis mirrors, you can mount a after-market mirror mount below the OEM and still mount a new mirror and have it hide the old mirror mount. That's what I did for a week or so when I realized the cheap Autozone mirrors buzz and vibrations weren't worth keeping. I got lucky surfing Summit Racing's site. I fell into the Brandmotion products by accident.
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe

My Cars
    z3
    I wanted to snag one but waited like an idiot!

I'm back on the "cut and re-weld" shorter thought process here...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I got a Gary's adapter and mirror if anyone wants one. PM me.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    I got a Gary's adapter and mirror if anyone wants one. PM me.
    i'll take it

PM sent

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    Wow. After nearly 15 years of failed attempts, it looks like you finally found the solution to the rear-view mirror blockage problem. Good work. Thank you.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    i'll take it

PM sent
    ... and its gone.

I like Coupes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast