My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport

Ruskies New E53 4.4L

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd introduce my new to me 2002 X5 with the 4.4 engine. I stumbled across it in the dark corner of Craigslist where pictures and details are non-existent. Well, turns out, after several flaked appointments to see the car that it was a solid car and in pretty decent condition. It only has 130K which is pretty good for its age, I also got it for a steal of a price so very happy with that.

Anyways, I have a few problems that i'd like to address... The main purpose of the car is to be a spare, back-up, emergency, hauler, 4x4er, bad weather, long trip car and not intended for daily driving. So here are some of my concerns that i'd like to address:

1) There is a tamper dot on the cluster... now hold up, I know what you are thinking... but I am confident there was no malice behind this, ie; carfax and title show correct mileage. The car also has the ABS light and DSC Triangle light lit up permanently. I found some receipts in the car that show a diagnosis of failed speed sensors. ABS codes 30, 31, 32. My plan is to clean all of the speed sensors and if that fails, replace them. The car has brand new rotors and pads, and in the past I have seen that shavings from rotors have caused the fragments to stick to the sensors causing the light.

2) When I got the car all the windows worked... except the passenger door. No power at all, no locks, no window movement from either switch. I replaced the fuse in the glove box, and voila! The window works... but ONLY from the passenger switch. So what are we looking at here? Faulty master switch and a bad door lock actuator? I've also noted that I have to hold the button for the window to move, it will not roll up or down by itself with one click.

3) There is a strange rattle/knocking noise coming from the trunk area, sounds like its coming from the taillight hatch area. I've done some research on this and it appears that this is a very common issue being either the rear seat or the bump stops on the hatch. I have so far ruled out it being the seat and will report back if the bump stops resolve the issue.

All in all, I have so far replaced the battery in the remote and got the key to work, and polished up the headlights since they were very badly oxidized. I've ordered a new chain tensioner and will have that installed over the weekend. Surprised to say that there is not a single leak, no coolant, power steering, or oil leakage. So far so good!

Here's a quick pic:
    (Black interior)

If anyone has any ideas on my woes, more particularly the electrical gremlins, i'd appreciate your input. Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by RuskiE39; 08-04-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Small update, managed to fix the creaking rattle noise mentioned in problem #3. Adjusted the bump stops with a torx head and all is quiet now!
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    //M5s, 4.8iS , Z32TT
    Welcome to the E53 ownership!

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) --------------- 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's) -------------- 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E39 M5, 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32 TwinTurbo

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by tmvE39E53Z32TT View Post
    Welcome to the E53 ownership!
    Thanks! I love it but I wish it looked more like yours, haha.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    поздравления!
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    поздравления!
    Spasiba! Now if anyone can help answer some pogromming questions, I would truly appreciate it. Apparently the "IKE" unit is not the original one from this car and is from a 98 E38. I'm guessing that's the reason my ABS and DSC light is on as well as why I have a tamper dot. Does anyone know what I need to do to get this resolved? My buddy has PA soft we just didn't have much time to research what exactly needs to be done.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by RuskiE39 View Post
    Spasiba! Now if anyone can help answer some pogromming questions, I would truly appreciate it. Apparently the "IKE" unit is not the original one from this car and is from a 98 E38. I'm guessing that's the reason my ABS and DSC light is on as well as why I have a tamper dot. Does anyone know what I need to do to get this resolved? My buddy has PA soft we just didn't have much time to research what exactly needs to be done.
    Basically Its a 4x4 E39 540, go from there
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Any further updates?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Any further updates?
    Not much to report, I replaced the chain tensioner on it shortly after purchase, did an oil change and she has been great so far. The wife is dailying it to work and loves it. Currently bidding on another X5, however this one is a 3.0. If I ended up getting it I plan on making it my winter daily or flipping it and getting a 4.6.

Not sure if I mentioned elsewhere, but we ended up picking up a set of style 63's with winter tires on them.

Decided to gut the muffler so I ordered exhaust tips for it... I was shipped the wrong ones so I reached out to them to correct the issue... they sent me the wrong ones again:

Anyways, I got fed up and ordered some slightly sub-par ones. Not a big deal to me, just need something to replace the muffler tips with so I got these:

After I get an alignment on the beast I will get these installed, actually tried getting an alignment last week but Firestone didn't have a "special tool" to adjust the rear.

Rear airbag has a small leak, I still need to address the electrical problems in the passenger door and fix the cluster ABS/DSC tamper dot trifecta due to a swapped cluster from the PO.
    Last edited by RuskiE39; 10-10-2017 at 12:12 AM.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe