Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stromung Exhaust still the way to go?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilburnin View Post
    I absolutely made sure of that Randy.

This is Ben from St. Pete, hopefully see you soon!
    Haha, good, then I'll get to hear it too!

I gotta admit Ive spent some time on YT due to this thread...

and muffler deletes on M's and non M's sound rather good for an aggressive sound..I was shocked.

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6

melted your bumper - Yikes

The BB exhaust melted your bumper? Yikes. Was it a design flaw in alignment? Or something else weird? I'm at the stage that I need to decide on whether I go BB or Stromung. Does the Stromung have resonators in front of the rear diff like the BB? Of the two, which was quieter? I don't care for drone, but a little more action would be nice. I just don't want to announce my arrival to local authorities before my radar detector advises me of their presence first if you know what I mean. Does anyone discount Stromung for a source? BB has a current 15% off right now, which helps defray the cost along with free shipping. That's nice to those of us on a fixed income.
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I've never fitted a Stromung (to a Z3M, my E36 M3 had one) as noted by my previous comment, but I've fitted plenty of B&B exhausts without a clearance issue.

sometimes a melted bumper is completely inconspicuous, and it only takes minimal__albeit, prolonged__contact to melt the bumper. Only when I had an Eisenmann Race system fitted, with mortar-like tips, did I have to resort to trimming the bumper; more like just smoothing out the work that the Eisenmann had already accomplished via contact...

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I've never fitted a Stromung (to a Z3M, my E36 M3 had one) as noted by my previous comment, but I've fitted plenty of B&B exhausts without a clearance issue.

sometimes a melted bumper is completely inconspicuous, and it only takes minimal__albeit, prolonged__contact to melt the bumper. Only when I had an Eisenmann Race system fitted, with mortar-like tips, did I have to resort to trimming the bumper; more like just smoothing out the work that the Eisenmann had already accomplished via contact...

Ha.......... Randy, I knew I saw Stromung in one of your gallery photos. So I gather that your install of Stromung left you underwhelmed such that you forgot about them entirely. Is Billy Boat one that you'd recommend? I'm working on making part decisions and ordering stuff for the eventual build. Looking for guidance. I want 304 Stainless, and not all the parts of the SuperSprint stuff is. I'm not into loud either. I don't mind some tone improvement, but do not want the Magna-drone that some systems produce.
    Last edited by dennisljacob; 08-17-2017 at 09:12 PM.
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisljacob View Post

Ha.......... Randy, I knew I saw Stromung in one of your gallery photos. So I gather that your install of Stromung left you underwhelmed such that you forgot about them entirely. Is Billy Boat one that you'd recommend? I'm working on making part decisions and ordering stuff for the eventual build. Looking for guidance. I want 304 Stainless, and not all the parts of the SuperSprint stuff is. I'm not into loud either. I don't mind some tone improvement, but do not want the Magna-drone that some systems produce.
    LOL! Make a liar out of me, why don't ya?

Yeah, I guess they didn't leave that much of an impression, but at least they must've fit...

Actually, looking at those pictures, the bends look rather nicer than most.

Thinking back about that car, and given all the jobs that were piled onto it (at times, I didn't know if I'd ever get through the owner's list) you can imagine me suppressing the memories
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 08-17-2017 at 11:56 PM.

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6

Smile sorry to bring back old memories

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    LOL! Make a liar out of me, why don't ya?

Yeah, I guess they didn't leave that much of an impression, but at least they must've fit...

Actually, looking at those pictures, the bends look rather nicer than most.

Thinking back about that car, and given all the jobs that were piled onto it (at times, I didn't know if I'd ever get through the owner's list) you can imagine me suppressing the memories

Repressing memories. Must of been a bitch of a car to work on. That or you got tired of looking at blue coupes? Or is that possible?

Given a few audio clips and what appears to be nicely made - in the USA exhaust - I went ahead and ordered a set for my MZ3. Don't know when I'll get them installed, but I'll have all the parts when the time comes.

Before I forget, should someone with forced induction consider replacing the OEM BMW cat in favor of a high flow metal core cat instead? Or is it just throwing money away? Or should I just toss the cat into the "next owner" pile if they need smog testing where they live? I've read that non-cat cars have a nasty exhaust smell. Something that a topless car would be more exposed to. What say you gentlemen? Out? In? Next owner pile?

Dennis
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe

My Cars
    E36/8 M Coupe, 911/997.2
    I went ahead and ordered a set for my MZ3. Don't know when I'll get them installed, but I'll have all the parts when the time comes.
    Did you just recently place the order? Through Stromung or a dealer?
    Ben

'00 M Coupe (my daily for almost 10 glorious years now)
    '09 911 (wife's daily/my bucket list)
    '08 Z4 Coupe (wife's, sold, sometimes regrettably)
    '91 E34 M5 (gone, but not forgotten)
    '88 E30 (kid's)

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6
    I purchased through Understeer.com They were the only dealer with a small discount off full price. We'll see if they deliver or not. They haven't confirmed the order yet. But they did take my funds via paypal.

Just received an email from Chris Bethel confirming my order. He indicated that Stromung has a build time of about a week. He said I would receive tracking info as soon as it's available. So good to hear.
    Last edited by dennisljacob; 08-18-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Did a couple good rips up the rpm band last night and the Stromung cans sound stellar. Of course, this is on an s54 car and I also have the Euro resonator X-pipe in place of the stock H-pipe.

My Cars
    E36/8 M Coupe, 911/997.2
    I purchased through Understeer.com They were the only dealer with a small discount off full price. We'll see if they deliver or not. They haven't confirmed the order yet. But they did take my funds via paypal.

Just received an email from Chris Bethel confirming my order. He indicated that Stromung has a build time of about a week. He said I would receive tracking info as soon as it's available. So good to hear.
    Thanks Dennis, I just sent you a PM...
    Last edited by Oilburnin; 08-18-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    Ben

'00 M Coupe (my daily for almost 10 glorious years now)
    '09 911 (wife's daily/my bucket list)
    '08 Z4 Coupe (wife's, sold, sometimes regrettably)
    '91 E34 M5 (gone, but not forgotten)
    '88 E30 (kid's)

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe

Before I forget, should someone with forced induction consider replacing the OEM BMW cat in favor of a high flow metal core cat instead? Or is it just throwing money away? Or should I just toss the cat into the "next owner" pile if they need smog testing where they live? I've read that non-cat cars have a nasty exhaust smell. Something that a topless car would be more exposed to. What say you gentlemen? Out? In? Next owner pile?

Dennis
    Go with a high flow cat. You don't want the smell!

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12