I've just read through several previous e65/66 posts searching "transmission", "valve", and "Mechatronic" but thought I'd check in on this diagnosis and estimate from my independent shop. My 745 is a Canadian delivered and third owner 2005 with 155K kilometres (about 96K miles) with the 2nd to first clunk and occasional hard up-shift described by many.

I took it into my indy for Service 1 inspection a couple of weeks ago as suggested by my dashboard and manual, and asked them to look at that clunk again. I asked them to look at it shortly after buying the car 2 years ago but at that time they said they could find nothing. When I picked up the car they said they'd get back to me on the transmission.

They called today and suggest new fluid (was going to do that anyways before 160K km) and mechatronic valve body replacement at the dealership - estimate of $4700.00! They say neither they nor the tranny shop they use can get the fluid or the parts, they are available ONLY from dealership so I have to go there. Does that sound right?? Plus, I live over 2 hours away from the closest dealership and they do not have a great reputation. I had a '95 e38 prior to this and had the tranny fluid replaced locally no problem.

There must be something else I can try first before the dealership for $4700. Love the car, but not this diagnosis.

Thanks from Canada,

Ken Rogers