Thread: Service Engine Soon - Help

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible

Service Engine Soon - Help

So this evening when I start my car, the service engine light stays on. Nothing unusual that I noticed while starting. Restarted few times but it stays on. I drove home with that ( 2 miles). Looked up code in Torque. Attached the code.
    Any help or pointers would be great.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    Car is 2011 335i manual with 87k on it.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I'm going to guess that you used a generic OBDII scan tool. That is a pretty generic code that you have presented. Unless I'm mistaken, there are several BMW specific codes that could lead to that generic code. I'd suggest have a scan run using a BMW specific scan tool to narrow things down a bit.

My Cars
    You need a new DMTL pump. We replace them all the time. BMW extended the warranty on the pumps on certain models or VIN ranges, but not on all. Post the last 7 of your VIN and maybe I can check it.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    You need a new DMTL pump. We replace them all the time. BMW extended the warranty on the pumps on certain models or VIN ranges, but not on all. Post the last 7 of your VIN and maybe I can check it.
    E242160

I dropped my car to the dealer today morning for diagnosis.

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    So today they (Dealer) replaced the MAF sensor as they believed this is the issue. But the Check Engine light came back again.
    I didn't have time to go to the Dealer again, so was driving with the light on.
    Then I filled up gas tank at Shell ( Nitro) and made sure gas cap is tightened as I heard loose gas cap can also throw similar codes.
    Surprisingly, the Check engine light is gone. I have already driven more than 100 miles and all good so far- no check engine light. Not sure, if it was the quality of the gas ? I always go to Shell but last few times I had to stop at random gas stations.
    Last edited by Iftekar; 08-23-2017 at 01:23 PM.

My Cars
    Whoever worked on your car is an idiot. Jesus, I don't even know what I just read. His story is just jibberish and the guy can't type worth a damn. He leaves out vowels and shortens words to the point where it's not even legible.

I'm not sure what fault code showed up when he scanned the vehicle (because he didn't put that in his story), but obviously none of what he did is related to the DMTL pump. But if the light hasn't come back on, then I guess you don't need to worry about it.

By the way, your vehicle does not have the extension warranty on the DMTL pump.

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    I have attached the error code details. My warranty just expired so I have already ordered the DMTL pump from Amazon. After watching few videos on YouTube, I think I can replace it easily.
    But as the check engine light is now gone, I am not sure whether to replace it now or wait for few more days ( till Amazon Return window).

My Cars
    Just replace it. It's a common failure part. If the code set once, it will definitely set again.

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Just replace it. It's a common failure part. If the code set once, it will definitely set again.
    Alright. Will do then.