Thread: A/C Problem On E46

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i

Unhappy A/C Problem On E46

Ive been having this problem for a good month. My A/C works but its not blowing cold enough. The middle vents work but whenever i switch the climate control to blow cold air the footwell or the windshield, it blow hot. Ive have tested the heater control valve to see the valve opens and closes which it does. I was told that it could be my solar sensor? At night it blows cold air beautiful. But in the day it barely blows cold. Also the middle vents where the stereo is at, the left vent blows cold and hot and the right vent blows cold. Anyone know about this problem?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I would suggest having the codes pulled just so you have a good place to start troubleshooting. If it ends up being the blower motor, I'm attaching a link to a DIY tech article from our site. Please let us know if you have any questions!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...ower_Motor.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    There's no solar sensor in an E46. It sounds like your AC system is low on refrigerant, R134a. I'd find a reputable automotive AC shop and have the low and high pressures read with gauges. That's always the first step in diagnosing AC issues. Do not buy a can of R134a at the local part store to recharge the AC system yourself. Why? You'll likely over-charge the system. That can cause additional issues.

Has the AC system ever been serviced?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I would suggest having the codes pulled just so you have a good place to start troubleshooting. If it ends up being the blower motor, I'm attaching a link to a DIY tech article from our site. Please let us know if you have any questions!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...ower_Motor.htm
    I love Pelicans tech articles. I've used many of them but, this is really worthless advice.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    The Refrigerant is up to specs. I did the flush and add new refrigerant and it does have a solar sensor. I was looking on prodemand and its has something to do with the Heater and A/C control module. The solar is located at the front of the dash which i see it. I was thinking if i should clean up the condenser well to get easy air flow, or check my evaporative?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Solar sensor! I learn something new every day!

My Cars
    2003 330i ZHP
    I didn't know my e46 had a solar sensor.

Anyway, check your aux fan if you have an auto, they fail and cause issues with the AC not working well. Also post low/high side pressure with the car running if you can. That will help with trouble shooting

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk