My Cars
    2001 X5 3.0

X5 blown head gasket or bad CVV

I have a 2001 X5 3.0 4 wheel drive with 114,000 miles.Getting lots of smoke out of the exhaust and running rough. Here is whathappened: Last January outside temperature in high teen’s low 20’s. Drive about6 miles and going uphill at 50 mph, car starts missing then lots of smoke fromexhaust. I immediately pull over and turn off car. Car towed to mechanic and hesays engine has had a hydro lock so blown head gasket, cracked block mostlikely from overheating. Recommends new engine for $6K to $7k. That is too muchfor me so I tow the car home and put a tarp over it. Now I am working on it.Drained the oil and no water in oil, but engine down about 1 quart. Drained theradiator and no oil, down about 1 quart. Remove plugs and do a compressiontest. Get 105 to 130 across 6 cylinders (mind you the car is cold and I onlyturn it over for about 5 seconds on each cylinder). Remove crankcase ventilationtubing from air intake. Start car, runs rough and uneven RPM for 1 minute, turnoff, lots of smoke from exhaust.
    So what is wrong? I read up on plugged CVV and learned thatin cold weather they can freeze or plug up then blow oil into the air intakeand cause rough running and lots of smoke. Even known to cause hydro lock insome cases.
    Could a bad CVV cause all of this? What else puts oil intothe cylinders? Blown valve cover gasket, valve seals??? Do I just run theengine until it hopefully stops blowing smoke or should I check other thingsfirst? Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Yes a bad ccv will cause a lot of smoke, have you bothered to smell the exhaust fumes? Does it smell sweet like coolant, is the smoke white, cleary, or blue? A bad ccv can cause enough presssure to blow the valve cover Gasket and cause all sorts of running issues. Start by replacing the ccv and go from there.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe