Thread: Newbie buys a 2000 328i and is in for a few surprises!

My Cars
    2000 328i

Newbie buys a 2000 328i and is in for a few surprises!

Hello all!
    Ken here, a couple of weeks ago I purchased a 2000 328i. Miles were pretty high at 240k but the car looks and drives well. 2nd owner replaced the radiator and thermostat recently, did a transmission flush 1000 miles back and generally took good care of the car.

I went into it knowing that It needed some work:
    Car wobbles on breaking - needs front rotors turned or replaced.
    Needs tires (2 down, 2 to go)
    Needs window regulator for rear passenger window.
    Needs windshield cowl
    Needs turn signal switch (signals work - trip computer controls don't work)
    Stereo SUCKS!

Brakes getting done this weekend, I'm ordering the regulator from autopartswarehouse.com this week and I'll do the job myself. (I watched a great tutorial on youtube) I'll be ordering the cowl and turn signal switch online as well within the next month.

With all of that said, I have had the transmission light (gear with the exclamation point in it) come on several times and kick the car into limp mode. I pulled out the manual and read that if it happens, turn off the car, pop the e-brake on, wait a bit and restart. I've done this and it's worked every time. My question is what is causing this to happen over and over, every other day? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Very glad to be here and have a resource and a community.

Cheers,

Ken

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Welcome!

I would start with checking transmission fluid level first. Chances are high that you have a GM tranny that uses cheap Dexron VI. Do pay attention to details in DIYs, it is very important to do the final check when the transmission is warm. Popping ebrake has nothing to do with the "fix". I would do that first before you spend any more $ on the car.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    If you're planning on fixing what you can yourself, getting a BMW specific scantool is a good idea. Whatever is tripping that light may be setting off a code and you just don't know it. As for the cooling system, the radiator and thermostat having been done are good, but what about the pulleys, water pump, expansion tank (and thermostat), hoses, etc. At the mileage on your car, the cooling system should have been totally refreshed 3x's over.

As for the wobble, don't get the rotors turned. It's a waste of time and money. Replace them.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    You've written that the previous owner had the tranny flushed. Do you have a receipt for that? I'm asking as there are 2 ways to flush an automatic tranny. The "wrong" way to flush the tranny is via the use of chemical cleaners. This loosens small particles that can block small fluid passages in the tranny. The "correct" way to flush the tranny is to use only tranny fluid. This is basically a full exchange of tranny fluid. You need to determine the tranny's manufacturer as BMW sourced trannies from GM of France, and from ZF, a major German industrial company. The trannies are totally different and require different fluids. The bottom of the GM tranny fluid pan is flat while that of the ZF is ribbed.
    Concyr on the overhaul of the cooling system. It's this car's Achilles heel. Don't buy cheeeep aftermarket cooling system parts as they'll fail. See Mango's cooling system stickie at E46Fanatics.

My Cars
    2000 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Welcome!

I would start with checking transmission fluid level first. Chances are high that you have a GM tranny that uses cheap Dexron VI. Do pay attention to details in DIYs, it is very important to do the final check when the transmission is warm. Popping ebrake has nothing to do with the "fix". I would do that first before you spend any more $ on the car.
    Mless5,
    thanks for the info. I will contact the guy I got this from. He told me he had a mechanic do all the work for him for the 10 years he had the car. I'm sure I can get in touch with him and find the records and see everything that was done. I'll check the tranny fluid today and make sure I check when it's warm. Thanks for the tip!

My Cars
    2000 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    If you're planning on fixing what you can yourself, getting a BMW specific scantool is a good idea. Whatever is tripping that light may be setting off a code and you just don't know it. As for the cooling system, the radiator and thermostat having been done are good, but what about the pulleys, water pump, expansion tank (and thermostat), hoses, etc. At the mileage on your car, the cooling system should have been totally refreshed 3x's over.

As for the wobble, don't get the rotors turned. It's a waste of time and money. Replace them.
    Tony,
    great tip on the scan tool. I just found one online and am ordering it. As for the cooling system, I will contact the former owner and get the contact info from his mechanic and see if I can find out everything that was done.

My Cars
    2000 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    You've written that the previous owner had the tranny flushed. Do you have a receipt for that? I'm asking as there are 2 ways to flush an automatic tranny. The "wrong" way to flush the tranny is via the use of chemical cleaners. This loosens small particles that can block small fluid passages in the tranny. The "correct" way to flush the tranny is to use only tranny fluid. This is basically a full exchange of tranny fluid. You need to determine the tranny's manufacturer as BMW sourced trannies from GM of France, and from ZF, a major German industrial company. The trannies are totally different and require different fluids. The bottom of the GM tranny fluid pan is flat while that of the ZF is ribbed.
    Concyr on the overhaul of the cooling system. It's this car's Achilles heel. Don't buy cheeeep aftermarket cooling system parts as they'll fail. See Mango's cooling system stickie at E46Fanatics.
    Marco,
    I don't yet have the receipt but I will hopefully have the records from the mechanic this week. Great info on the different tranny's, I will check all of this out, check the current level and hopefully they used the correct fluid in the flush. I just signed up at E46fanatics and read that cooling system post by Mango. GREAT info, thanks so much!

Ken

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    TonyAngel...I need to have also a BMW specific scantool. What scantool do you recommend?

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I'm using a Foxwell NT510. I also have a Carly, but the Foxwell is a much more capable tool.

Although the above is what I am using, what I'd recommend is having a dedicated laptop with an appropriate cable running ISTA, INPA, etc. That is the best you are going to get for us DIY'ers. I use the Foxwell because it is fast, simple and pretty much idiot proof.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Let me know if you still need turn signal stalk, I have a spare one I am willing to donate.

My Cars
    2000 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Let me know if you still need turn signal stalk, I have a spare one I am willing to donate.
    HOLY COW!!!
    Mless, yes I absolutely do. Thank you so much for the offer.

My Cars
    2000 328i
    TonyAngel,
    I was looking at a WiFi scan tool I could use on my tablet. Thoughts on something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Foseal-Scanne...=bmw+scan+tool

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Whatever you get, just make sure that it will read bmw specific codes.

As for the wifi, I find them much less convenient than I thought they would be. For me, connecting to the adapter meant that I lost my internet connection so could look crap up without disconnecting from the car.

For something like a scan tool, I like wires and a dedicated device.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 1995 325is
    Go to RealOEM and put in the last seven characters in your VIN. That should tell your which transmission you have.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I hear you on that...the guys in the shop all have laptop screens when plugged into Evinrude...Thanks again for your input...I'm sure we will connect again as this is my first BMW car....Steve in Norwich, Ct.

My Cars
    2000 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Whatever you get, just make sure that it will read bmw specific codes.

As for the wifi, I find them much less convenient than I thought they would be. For me, connecting to the adapter meant that I lost my internet connection so could look crap up without disconnecting from the car.

For something like a scan tool, I like wires and a dedicated device.
    Thanks Tony, good to know.

My Cars
    2000 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by curry View Post
    Go to RealOEM and put in the last seven characters in your VIN. That should tell your which transmission you have.
    Great info, I'll be doing that right away!

My Cars
    2000 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by curry View Post
    Hey Curry,
    RealOEM says this
    "Exch. automatic transmission EH A5S 360R - VO"

What transmission is this? Is this the GM?

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Yes, A5S360R is what BMW calls the GM trans that they use. GM calls it a 5L40E