Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Need Help with Subwoofer Install in Trunk.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster red/black

Need Help with Subwoofer Install in Trunk.

HI, I have a 00 roadster with the (I think) non-hk system, that sounds horrible. I replaced the door speakers and rear fill speaker with Rockford Fosgates but they are running on the stock amp and headunit. I have a 12 inch subwoofer with a weak amp in the trunk and the only thing I can hear is rattling from the floor where the top goes. Will adding a powerful amp and sub combo give me adaquet bass in the cabin, or should I consider other options. I would like to keep the factory Headunit, and not have to port the trunk if I dont have to. Thank you guys for any help you can give me!

My Cars
    87 325i
    im guessing its ur headunit..it should be the first thing u upgrade before door speakers.
    try this forum:
    eCoustics

its relly helpful with car audio, they will help you with ur problem more efficiantly.

My Cars
    01 330i
    What is the RMS rating for your sub and amp? Have you properly set the gain? By properly I mean have you used a multimeter to set the levels.

My Cars
    whatever is there
    u may want to port your trunk into your cabin, bmw trunks are sealed really well. and a deck owuld be primo too

My Cars
    E46 04" M3 Alpine white/black
    that's wut i thinking too,

u gotta upgrade urs head units first,

i got a factory head unit, and non-hk speaker too, but i setup w/ a rockford 1800w amp w/ 2 12" mtx sub, and cut out the factory amp, intalled w/ a rockford 350w amp

but it kinda crazy that way, i wanna upgrade my head unit now
    b4 all my speaker pop-up

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Factory headunit on a roadster is generally really good. What are your speakers? what is your amp? What is your sub? Getting good equipment is the best thing to do I think. Rockford just doesnt do the whole Sound quality vibe, more for the volume thing. Also, try deadening your trunk and doors
    Dreams are what you make of them

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Trepan
    Have you properly set the gain? By properly I mean have you used a multimeter to set the levels.
    Can't say I have heard of it done with a multimeter, and I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. I would use an oscilloscope, or the human ear. Both of those usually have the best results
    Dreams are what you make of them

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster red/black

My Components...

First of all, thank you all for your input youve already helped me a lot.

I dumped my sub and amp combo, and put in two 10" Rockfords that hold about 200 rms each (sorry if I sound completely ignorant, I admit I dont know much about any of this.) I have an older kicker amp that is running 120 watts X 2, which im sure is a lot less RMS. I still get mostly horrible sounding rattling coming from the top area, but If I add weight to the deck (where the top goes down) the rattles go away for the most part. Have any of you had this problem, and if so, how did you rectify it? I am definetly upgrading the head unit as well, any suggestions?

Thank you all for your help....Its MUCH Apreciated!