Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to fix this?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP

What's the best way to fix this?

So my transition to Tampa this first month has been rough to say the least. The place we moved to wasn't ready, my 32 year old original windshield in my Mustang got smashed driving from CT to FL, and now this: tree branch falls on the E38. Dents and scratches galore.

The dents are pretty deep. The worst is the dent on the rail above the passenger rear window (really bad location to fix).

Looks like I'm going to have to go through my comprehensive.

How would you fix it?

One shop said just body filler and paint, although I would like them to push the dents out as much as possible. He seemed to think it wasn't possible because of the bracing in the roof? Also that the rail above the window is hardened steel? That quote was very reasonable though.

The other shop would push the dents out and use filler, but the quote was $2600

Anyone have pictures of the roof without headliner? Is there bracing in there or is all that easily accessible. May have to drop the sunroof cassette? Man what a bummer

'98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    740il
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    So my transition to Tampa this first month has been rough to say the least. The place we moved to wasn't ready, my 32 year old original windshield in my Mustang got smashed driving from CT to FL, and now this: tree branch falls on the E38. Dents and scratches galore.

The dents are pretty deep. The worst is the dent on the rail above the passenger rear window (really bad location to fix).

Looks like I'm going to have to go through my comprehensive.

How would you fix it?

One shop said just body filler and paint, although I would like them to push the dents out as much as possible. He seemed to think it wasn't possible because of the bracing in the roof? Also that the rail above the window is hardened steel? That quote was very reasonable though.

The other shop would push the dents out and use filler, but the quote was $2600

Anyone have pictures of the roof without headliner? Is there bracing in there or is all that easily accessible. May have to drop the sunroof cassette? Man what a bummer

Anything can be fixed,you just have to find the right person. Real f'd up though.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I'm so pissed off. And the branch didn't even seem that big. I also don't want my car totalled by insurance...
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    That BLOWS man. What a bummer.

I think fixing with filler wouldn't be a very good fix. Maybe get the dents removed PDR style and repaint. I assume the dents have scratches that definitely require paint?

Could also use something like a welded stud dent puller if there's too much bracing to get at it from under the headliner.

Really stinks for sure.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    That blows dude...

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    Bad luck. Hope the repairs come out to your satisfaction. That tree would be history.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    That BLOWS man. What a bummer.

I think fixing with filler wouldn't be a very good fix. Maybe get the dents removed PDR style and repaint. I assume the dents have scratches that definitely require paint?

Could also use something like a welded stud dent puller if there's too much bracing to get at it from under the headliner.

Really stinks for sure.
    The scratches are weird. They don't seem deep, but I can't really get them out with my fingers. The problem is trusting whether someone actually pulls the dents when they say they are going to. Unless I get the PDR done ahead of the repair, but then I probably have to pay for that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by motion View Post
    Bad luck. Hope the repairs come out to your satisfaction. That tree would be history.
    Yeah, it would be, but I'm renting And apparently the county cares a whole lot about these oak trees.

Anyone have pictures of the inside of the roof without the headliner in there?

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    All dents have to be pulled out before any bindi can be applied, if shop wants to do bondo right onto the dents, then it is very bad thing to do because bondo can shrink over the time and all dents will appear at some point
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    are slow
    Jamming bondo on top of a huge dent sounds like a recipe for failure.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I have some pics somewhere of the sunroof drain area but the ones in this link probably shows all I would have. The sunroof cassette takes up a good portion of what you will need to get to.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/479490

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    Pull the headliner and pay a paint less dent guy to do the work. I had a small acorn dent on my roof and the guy got the dent right out. Ran about $100 for the work headliner isn't hard to pull. I'd do that and then get the paint work done
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    2001 740I M Sport
    It's going to have to be stripped, and the dents will be pulled out with a dent puller/stud gun. No PDR guy in the universe will be able to make the roof 100% again. The metal will probably need to be shrunk too from stretching caused be the dents. The reason it will need to be shrunk is because once the dents are pulled out the roof will want to "oil can". This means that the metal will flex up and down easily. Once it is shrunken the metal will be tight again with no springy-ness to it. There will be a skim coat of bondo in places but it will be a proper repair, not just "cave and pave" with mud. This is probably an 6-8 hour job. Metal working is becoming a lost art. If you were closer I would tackle it. I worked as a body man for years. If you want to message me I can give you specifics on how to repair it yourself and have it ready for paint.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    I have some pics somewhere of the sunroof drain area but the ones in this link probably shows all I would have. The sunroof cassette takes up a good portion of what you will need to get to.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/479490
    Thanks Mayor. It doesn't look like there is too much by way of bracing for the majority of the skin in the back there, but maybe that picture is deceiving. It definitely looks like the rail along the roof above the windows is not accessible, however, so that will have to be pulled out from the outside or filled it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by e30luv318i View Post
    Pull the headliner and pay a paint less dent guy to do the work. I had a small acorn dent on my roof and the guy got the dent right out. Ran about $100 for the work headliner isn't hard to pull. I'd do that and then get the paint work done
    I thought about this, since it is the only sure way I could know that the dents were actually removed before the filler/paintwork. But that may actually require I drop the sunroof cassette, also, which is a whole extra layer of work...

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic E38 View Post
    It's going to have to be stripped, and the dents will be pulled out with a dent puller/stud gun. No PDR guy in the universe will be able to make the roof 100% again. The metal will probably need to be shrunk too from stretching caused be the dents. The reason it will need to be shrunk is because once the dents are pulled out the roof will want to "oil can". This means that the metal will flex up and down easily. Once it is shrunken the metal will be tight again with no springy-ness to it. There will be a skim coat of bondo in places but it will be a proper repair, not just "cave and pave" with mud. This is probably an 6-8 hour job. Metal working is becoming a lost art. If you were closer I would tackle it. I worked as a body man for years. If you want to message me I can give you specifics on how to repair it yourself and have it ready for paint.
    Now this sounds like the real way to fix it. I wish I could find someone to do it this way.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i
    I had a paintless dent repair on a dent that was almost as bad as that one. It was in the door though, but it came out looking great.

My Cars
    '92 BMW 735i(W/383 GM)
    I feel your pain. I had 25 yrs worth of dents and dings repaired and repainted on mine at (don't laugh at me) MAACO on Anderson Rd here in Tampa. They did good work, and after 3 yrs. now it all still looks good.

My Cars
    CharlesNawOB
    Make shure dents are repaired with fiberglass not bondo it will be fine

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 740I M Sport
    The dents should be pulled out to the point where a thin skim coat of bondo is used, like 1/32 of an inch or less. If you need fiberglass reinforced bondo to fill the dents than you didn't work the dent out enough to begin with. Fact. Strip the dents down to bare metal and pull them out. Once the dents are out use the stud gun without a stud in it to heat the area and instantly put a wet rag on it to shrink the metal. You'd be surprised to see the metal shrink back to its original shape.You can buy a stud gun from Harbor Freight, works great!

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Thanks, Cosmic. I did get your PM, I've just been busy and didn't want to bother you too late.

I've got 2 more places I'm going to check out and then have the Geico adjuster look at it. I will know more Friday.

If there's anyone on here within 2-4 hours of the Tampa area that runs a body shop, let me know.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36
    Looks like the trees gotta go.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    So I have 4 quotes. All ranging. The highest would total the car, the lowest is unacceptable to me to not pull the dents. Despite the condition I keep the car in (which I think is excellent), the thing is worth less than $3k with the mileage. Yeah, the paint has 17 years of dings, and the seats could use a good cleaning but the rest of the car is perfect, down to the chain guides I did a year and a half ago. So sad these things are worth nothing, which means anything that happens to them is game over.

I think I'm going to go with the middle quote, which pulls the dents, thin coat of filler, and paint. The problem that the adjuster pointed out is that not fixing the chips and scratches on the quarter will show a lot when it is re-cleared. That got me wondering if the whole car is going to look weird having the roof and quarters looking new, and the doors and trunk old.
    Last edited by racer2086; 08-05-2017 at 02:03 PM.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Perhaps you can negotiate a deal to get the whole thing painted? At least have them buff out the original paint. I'll bet it won't look weird too long anyway.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    E38
    +1 on that. I'd just get the original paint compounded and polished myself on the side, so that it matches the new work.
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    2001 740I M Sport
    Go get a stud welder and angled die grinder from harbor freight. Pull the dents out and spread filler yourself. That way you can be as fussy as you want. Most shops will want to rush through it.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I'd love to, but I just don't have the time to do such a thing, since I'm working my first job out of school. Plus, it is regularly 95 degrees in the garage here. I haven't fully ruled that out, though.

I will call the shop tomorrow and see what the options are. I'd like to see what they'd charge for a respray. I'm sure I could get them to buff it at a minimum.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    So respray is way too expensive. I'm just having the work done on the roof. The shop didn't even feel comfortable buffing the paint since it is old and does have wear.

They are going to fix the imperfections and stuff on my quarters when they do the roof, so that everything can get painted and the clear will be even. I think it'll probably look fine. Either way, the paint elsewhere is far from perfect, so whatever.

I dropped the headliner and dropped the car off yesterday. You could see the dents from the inside. Should be ready Thursday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast