Thread: 2007 BMW 530xi Uncommanded defrost?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530 xi

2007 BMW 530xi Uncommanded defrost?

I had always (summer and winter) left my cars ventilation airspeed in auto mode, A/C on, and recirculation in auto (3 green LEDs to the right of the manual airspeed knob in the center of the dash). This worked exceptionally well, until a while ago. I noticed that at seemingly random times, the blower would spike up to full speed, and then return to normal operation a few seconds later. As time went on, the duration of the spike increased. Eventually, it would be at full speed nearly all the time. Thru this progression, I realized that the entire airflow was being directed up to the front window, and that the air temperature was full hot (even in the summer when the A/C had just been full cold).

I'm guessing that some sensor is telling the computer that either defrost is needed, or that I selected defrost from the button to the left of the manual airspeed knob.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? What was the diagnosis?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Have you tried getting the codes pulled? This might give you an excellent place to start troubleshooting.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530 xi
    Sadly, no codes have ever shown for this issue. Is there a sensor that detects a fogged windshield while in the Auto fan speed setting that triggers the defrost to come on? Where is it located? How can I diagnose this to be sure before investing in parts?

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Quote Originally Posted by PorMan View Post
    Sadly, no codes have ever shown for this issue. Is there a sensor that detects a fogged windshield while in the Auto fan speed setting that triggers the defrost to come on? Where is it located? How can I diagnose this to be sure before investing in parts?

Yep and that's your problem. Go to realoem.com and enter your vin number, then drive down to heating and cooling and find the condensation sensor. It's located within the base of the rear view mirror at the windshield. Relatively easy to change out...
    Last edited by jtbgonesailing; 07-31-2017 at 03:35 PM.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530 xi
    Is there a way to confirm that sensor is the issue before shelling out $100 for a part? What is the failure mechanism? Is the part repairable in any way?

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    If you used a OBD diagnostic code reader, that will read BMW specific error codes and not a generic code reader, then you should not have a damper door actuator motor problem in the IHKA module. However, if you went to AutoZone or one of the other parts stores and had them pull the codes, no telling what you got.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530 xi
    jt: I only have TorquePro on my phone with a chinese OBD bluetooth adapter, and a Creator C110. TorquePro does not indicate any problems. I have observed nothing that indicates door actuator problems. The sensor failing makes logical sense to me, but I was hoping to be absolutely certain before potentially spending the money needlessly.

A few more questions, assuming only sensor is replaced. If battery is left connected, will "re-coding" be required? The windshield will not be replaced, so that variable will not change. Is the sensitivity of 2006 sensors the same as recently manufactured sensors? What other variables should be considered?

If the battery is disconnected during the replacement, will that alleviate the need to re-code, as the sensor disconnection would not be observed by the computers. Do the sensors have serial numbers that are read electronically, providing a means for the computers to detect the change?

Don't laugh, but does a Creator C110 provide the means necessary to do the required re-coding? If not, what is the least expensive route (ruling out a stealership) to do the re-coding, short of having a friend with the requisite items (which I don't have)?

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Here is the BMW TIS repair manual for changing out your fog sensor.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ration/FW583nP

I provided the link to REALOEM to obtain the part, by part number, to ensure you have the BMW factory compatable replacement part.

The TIS repair instructions do not call for disconnecting the cars battery, nor do these instructions call for any reprogramming, just plug and play, after installation.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530 xi
    jt: Thanks for the TIS link. I found several for similar installs, but not this one that seems to be the exact one for my car.

I guess it's time to order the part...

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Yea the TIS (Technical Information Services) is a BMW factory document. Save the home screen and then you can drive down to your cars by entering your vin number on the homepage. With this document you can address almost everything BMW has come up with repairing, replacing or adjusting. So this document will tell you how to do something and realoem.com will give you the factory part number and if it has been superseded by another part number.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530 xi
    Yes, I ran into realoem some time ago, but TIS is new to me. Both great sources!

Also, http://www.bmwpnpc.com/ is a great tool for price comparisons.