Thread: New to group and BMW

My Cars
    2012 F10 550i M-Sport

New to group and BMW

Hello BimmerForums group,

I recently acquired a 2012 BMW 550i M-Sport and is my first BMW owner experience outside of numerous MB and Lexus models. Enjoying my car so far, but searching for answer to an apparent ongoing problem. This is towards the LIGHT functionality when the car is exposed to any water. This includes light to moderate rain and car washes (both automatic and hand). I've seen threads through searches where it had some of these issues, but not all at once like my situation.

I have added a photo of what happened this morning after a car wash. Now, I've had the car only 2-weeks, but consistently doing this with moisture. Searches show that possible module under the headlight and/or wheel-well area. Now, so far everything normalizes after a couple of hours in the heat or about a day later. My question is, "What causes this?". A sensor? A module? I don't have condensation and everything is stock.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Last edited by Melschase; 07-29-2017 at 03:25 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I don't see any photos, but I'm assuming the inside of your headlight is filling with fine condensate fog?

The headlamp should be removed from the vehicle and all seals checked/renewed. The collective cost to replace the headlamp is easily over $2500, prolonged exposure to moisture kills the control modules very easily. I replace them often on customer vehicles with (visually) minor corrosion on them.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    2012 F10 550i M-Sport
    Hello Stuck - thank you for your reply...

Sorry, it appears my photo links are not working. Let me see if I can provide some clarity. No condensation in any of the light housings. Only happens during any water interaction with the front end (i.e.: washing car, rain, etc.). However, after several hours of "assuming" drying - it returns to normal. The following is what my warning signals say:

* Adaptive Headling Malfunction
    * Right Turn Signal Malfunction
    * Left Turn Signal Malfunction
    * Daytime/Parking Lamp Malfunction (actually noted twice)
    * Headlight Vertical aim control Malfunction

All this appears at the same time. Any guidance would be helpful. Very annoying as I limit driving the car in the rain and even automated car washes. Thanks in advance for you help!

Mel

[IMG]https://photos.app.*******/CabgZmIV39U5SeJj1[/IMG]

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Looks like your photo host is blocked on here for some reason.

Regardless, there is a module that plugs into the headlamp at the back that controls most of the functionality. It is a cartridge shaped module, and loads in like an old Nintendo cartridge. It is placed at the lowest point in the lamp housing so of course water finds it way right to it.

The cartridge itself likely isn't the issue, but water is getting inside the lamp housing somehow and causing the anomalies. If it isn't corrected you'll likely be replacing the module, which runs about $550, and will need to be coded to the vehicle before it will work (at least another $150)

Have the car looked at and the headlamp removed to pinpoint the water ingress point so it can be corrected.

Last edited by Stück; 07-30-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars