Thread: Z3 soft top zipper replacement

My Cars
    E92 M3, E36 M3 evo, Z3

Z3 soft top zipper replacement

My rear window has a ripped zipper on the lower right side and I suppose I have to replace the whole thing together.

The problem is zipper on the soft top side has also ripped. Is it possible to replace this zip without replacing the whole soft top?

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    You would need to find someone who could sew the new zipper in without removing the top and I doubt you will be able to find anyone unless you get really lucky (unless you can do it yourself). Replacing the top may be your only option.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1996 Z3 E36(7) M44
    On my top the grey sewed thread around the back window, that essentially holds the zipper to to soft top kept coming apart. Age and sun light had taken its toll. I had zipped a new window in and it held up well. The thread around the window kept coming undone. I used speedy stitcher to sew it back in. Over time the thread in the area where the zipper started on the soft top came undone. That area seemed to be more under stress from stretching when the top was put up and down. I sewed it back a couple times, but that was a stop gap. I finally replaced the top this past spring.
    If you are going to sew the seam it takes two people.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1cJ...WrBehV&index=6

Ymmv

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3
    I have been struggling with this issue for about 3 years now, it works for a while but as Bob says, the stitching comes loose or the holes tear as it gets older. Also, as you cycle the top the stitching feels it first and just starts to loosen up.
    I think I can go through this summer and put the hardtop back on for winter, but next year the repair will just not look right anymore and I will be forced to replace the top. A $1500 deal in these parts if I have it done at a local shop.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyrov View Post
    ... will be forced to replace the top. A $1500 deal in these parts if I have it done at a local shop.
    That's what it cost at my local shop.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1996 Z3 E36(7) M44
    I nursed my along for about 3 years. In the end I wish I had done it sooner. The old top was pretty dried out, the interior of the top was a dusty looking shade of grey. I ended up with a GAHH top. Their web site had a list of recommended installers. The one I choose had done previous leather work on my seats. His work was very good in that respect. He had pictures up on some classic cars he had done. He showed me a receipt from a a different customer who just had his top done there so I felt comfortable. It ended up at $1399. I could not be happier with the top or the work.
    https://www.gahh.com/convertible-top...plastic-window

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob M View Post
    The price in the link is what upholstery and top shop charged for my GAHH top, and it took them a little less than 7 hours.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405