My Cars
    840ci

2007 BMW X5 4.4 Liter Giveaway, keep it or sell it?

My aunt is giving me her 2nd gen 2007 x5 4.8 liter. This car only has only 38k on the odometer. She is moving to Canada and wants me to take over it since I have a family now. However, I've heard some horror stories on the earlier models. I'm debating on whether I should sell it for another suv. I do work on cars, more like a backyard type of mechanic. I own a e31 840ci m60 motor. The x5 will be driven by my wife most of the time so I'm anticipating that it would be more prone to problems driven daily. Any suggestions? Is it really that bad?
    Last edited by e31bev; 07-29-2017 at 12:03 AM.

My Cars
    09 X5
    Totally depends on you and your time.

38k on 2007 e70 is a steal!!! There are few known issues that pop up at 50-70 k miles. Any weekend mechanic can fix those given the mountain of information here and on YouTube.

If you want to buy a brand new suv, yes, no issues for 3-5 years.

But on the e70, more or less you know what is needed to be done in few years. You'll be good!

I bought my first bmw last year for my wife and kids. An e70, didn't have knowledge, learned it from here to fix known issues.

Anyway, make your decision before your wife test drives it! 'Cause Once she drives that beast, no way she'll let you get her anything else!

Quote Originally Posted by e31bev View Post
    My aunt is giving me her 2nd gen 2007 x5 4.8 liter. This car only has only 38k on the odometer. She is moving to Canada and wants me to take over it since I have a family now. However, I've heard some horror stories on the earlier models. I'm debating on whether I should sell it for another suv. I do work on cars, more like a backyard type of mechanic. I own a e31 840ci m60 motor. The x5 will be driven by my wife most of the time so I'm anticipating that it would be more prone to problems driven daily. Any suggestions? Is it really that bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1986 e24 635csi, 1999 Saab 93, 1992 Saab 9000 turb
    Get it. Nice car.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljames View Post
    Get it. Nice car.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I'm the proud owner! I love it!! Powerful too.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    I'm the proud owner! I love it!! Powerful too.
    Its a good car, especially with that mileage, give it good care and it will run trouble-free for the next 2-3 years
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    Its a good car, especially with that mileage, give it good care and it will run trouble-free for the next 2-3 years
    Wait, what...? Trouble free for only the next 2-3 years? I think I've got a ball joint problem already, Lol! On good roads it drives very smooth, but road imperfections, you will feel a bobbling on the driver side suspension. Looks like I've already got work to do for the cost of parts only.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Wait, what...? Trouble free for only the next 2-3 years? I think I've got a ball joint problem already, Lol! On good roads it drives very smooth, but road imperfections, you will feel a bobbling on the driver side suspension. Looks like I've already got work to do for the cost of parts only.
    like I said - give it a good love and it will be a good car. You got it for free on a first place, what would be better
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    like I said - give it a good love and it will be a good car. You got it for free on a first place, what would be better
    Very true, but last weekend, as I was driving, the cel light pops up.

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    So, what did you end up doing?