Thread: 5.0 swap questions

5.0 swap questions

So this swap is in an e28 but maybe someone can still help. I am trying to get the clutch to disengage. I was suggested to use a hydraulic throwout bearing rather than a fork and throwout bearing with a slave cylinder. i dont even have room in my tranny tunnel to make one fit.

here is the throwout bearing that i am running https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...UaAnVpEALw_wcB

It is recommended to use a 3/4" master cylinder with this setup. which irks me because stroke is also a factor. the stock master clyinders for e28s and e30s is basically the metric conversion of 3/4.

I cannot get the throwout bearing to go far enough to disengage the gears, i have it shimmed as close as possible without touching the pressure plate. when I bleed the clutch i have a small amount of stroke at the very top of the initial pedal travel that has absolutely no resistance. I dont understand if this is a matter of it being the throwout bearing travel before it touches the pressure plate or what.

I've been building this car for a long time and have had this cluthc setup for nearly a year and have been coming back to messing with it and giving up and working on other things for a long time. no matter what i do theres always that tiny amount of travel at the top that has no resistance what so ever. it is a new master cylinder with all new lines to and from including the plastic barbed feed fitting that goes into the master from the reservoir.

I'm at the point now where i think im going to have to get a 7/8" master cylinder which i know a lot of people like better anyways. not a lot of info on that floating around so if anyone can help there as well it would be appreciated.

thanks fellas
    Last edited by bdkawey; 08-21-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    Aaron Wey
    07' Subaru legacy gt spec b (1/442): daily
    85' 535i: 302 swap/drift project
    86' 528e: scrapped and gone
    aaron by Jeremy King, on Flickr

My Cars
    5.0 325is
    I am assuming that you're using a T5, with that aftermarket bracket that bolts to the two ears on the left side of the case. I fought with that setup for a long time. I could never get the clutch to completely disengage. Tried multiple clutches, bleeding, slave cylinders, etc.

what finally fixed mine was moving the slave cylinder closer to the input shaft. I did this by making a bracket that mounts the slave cylinder on the bellhousing. It required hogging up the bellhousing a bit, and reinforcing it by using a piece of steel on both sides.

The T5 clutch fork has a slight bend to it, and while it doesn't seem like moving the pushrod a little would be enough to make a difference, it solved my issue. I don't remember which slave cylinder I have now, I think it's that Datsun one that others have used.

I have no idea why some swaps have this problem and some don't. If I remember correctly there are some other 5.0 swap weirdos that have luck with this method as well. It was either the 5.0 Miata guys or the 5.0 ranger guys.

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    If I'm not mistaken, schwerdt1 ran a hydraulic throw out bearing. Maybe he can chime in.

My Cars
    5.0 325is
    Looks like i didnt read carefully enough, you already have the hydraulic throwout bearing.

I think there was a thread where a guy put a 3/4" master cylinder in a track car.

stock is essentially already a 3/4 bore master cylinder. ive seen people us 7/8.

i dont think ive seen anyone put a larger clutch master in an e28.

I bought one of these clutch pedal brackets to reinforce the clutch as well as adapt it to be able to mount a wilwood master cylinder.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=103670

i also got a 1" bore master cylinder which may be waaay overkill but im just so annoyed with the stock not working and if my calculations are correct a 7/8 bore wilwood with a short 1.12 stroke isnt much more fluid than a 3/4 stock master cylinder.

if the 1" is too much ill ditch it for a 7/8 down the line. but for now ill use a clutch stop if its too much.

modded my bracket over the weekend and im either having the brake hose that i need made or ordering one today.
    Last edited by bdkawey; 08-21-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    Aaron Wey
    07' Subaru legacy gt spec b (1/442): daily
    85' 535i: 302 swap/drift project
    86' 528e: scrapped and gone
    aaron by Jeremy King, on Flickr

My Cars
    1995 318is with a 95 5.0
    I used a threaded rod with a nut so I could adjust the clutch engagement. It only needs to be adjusted once a year or every 10k miles.