Thread: car won't crank to start after failed start due to low battery charge

My Cars
    2008 528i

car won't crank to start after failed start due to low battery charge

Hello!

my e60 has been sitting for about a week. battery was not that fresh so when I tried to start it after the said week the car attempted to crank: it cranked a little bit but not enough to start.

So I put a jumper cable in the front (under the hood) and what it does now it turns ignition on as usual, then when I push the button I can hear the fuel pump but nothing else, not even a click in the starter.

I replaced the battery, thinking i was doing something wrong. the same happens. it doesn't even try.

is there anything I need to reset? is there such thing as a "protection" when a starting fails?

thanks!

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    As far as I know, the EWS system (or whatever the equivalent is called in the E60) will let it crank but not fire the spark plugs. SO if the rolling code from the keys is out of whack with the security system, you should still get a crank (IIRC).

If there is not even a click from the solenoid on the starter, then it seems that the solenoid on your starter motor is not working, or it is not getting a signal from the ignition. The only way that I know of to check for sure is to put 12V to the plug on the solenoid on the starter motor (the body of the starter is grounded, like the AC compressor so no need for a ground wire to it). If the solenoid clicks then it is good and NOT getting a signal from the ignition. If it doesn't click - then it needs to be replaced. In that case, you might want to check the starter motor itself, as well.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Getting a good connection for jump starting is sometimes difficult. Are you jumping with another car battery or a portable jump start battery? I would put a 10amp charger on the battery overnight and try again. My understanding is loss of DME-CAS sync will not allow engine to crank.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    I have a similar issue I need help with (PLEASE!). I recently bought a 2001 740i (4.4L) that cranks, but won't fire. Previous owner claims it simply died while being driven. After hooking up a "generic" hand-held diagnostic computer/code reader a reading at the cam sensor was indicated. The assumption was that the sensors themselves were bad, but after replacing those AND installing a new battery, he realized the timing chan guides had failed. He then replaced those and re-set the cam positions/timing with the # 1 cylinder at top dead center. So everything should be ready to go now, right? Wrong. As stated, it cranks but still won't fire. Is there some kind of safety reset button? I'm thinking maybe when the timing chain guides failed there was a safety feature that disabled the engine to prevent further damage (?). Any ideas or suggestions? Thanx, Sean

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemerphan View Post
    I have a similar issue I need help with (PLEASE!). I recently bought a 2001 740i (4.4L) that cranks, but won't fire. Previous owner claims it simply died while being driven. After hooking up a "generic" hand-held diagnostic computer/code reader a reading at the cam sensor was indicated. The assumption was that the sensors themselves were bad, but after replacing those AND installing a new battery, he realized the timing chan guides had failed. He then replaced those and re-set the cam positions/timing with the # 1 cylinder at top dead center. So everything should be ready to go now, right? Wrong. As stated, it cranks but still won't fire. Is there some kind of safety reset button? I'm thinking maybe when the timing chain guides failed there was a safety feature that disabled the engine to prevent further damage (?). Any ideas or suggestions? Thanx, Sean

Sean, You are in the e60/61 5 Series 2004-2010 forum. You want the e38 7 Series 1995-2001 forum. They may be more familiar with you problem than us. Your 7 series doesn't have near the computer modules running the car as the e 60-61's do. Here is the link to that forum below.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...995-2001-(E38)

Good luck and welcome to the group.

My Cars
    2008 528i
    so after installing a new battery still nothing

i opened the control wire on the starter and I have 12V when the car should be cranking. On the other hand, I when I feed 12V+ to the small plug on the starer nothing happens.

So I guess the starter got ruined at the same time when the battery went low. Coincidence? I'll try to replace it to see what happens.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    It could be corrosion (hard to see sometimes - doesn't have to be massive) where the boost terminal in the engine compartment runs to the starter via a couple of points (IIRC). It could be ground wires that are corroded or broken. Doesn't have to be the starter.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    E60 530XI
    Yes I had the very same thing happen to me. It ended up being the starter. Got it on rockauto for like $60 new not rebuilt, it took a couple days to come in the mail so I left the battery unhooked. Well I now have more lights on the dash than a Chirstmas Tree. Getting Tranmission fault, Electrical Fault among others. I have read in other threads that this is due to the battery registration. I just got the K+ cable but havent had luck installing the softwares on my computer. Wish me luck cuz i dont want to take it to the dealer!

My Cars
    EnriquekalOG

car wont crank to start after failed start due to low battery charge

Okay so i checked the wires, amd they are connected.. Now i had my friend crank the car to check for spark, unfortunately no spark.. And the distributor doesnt have any electricity..would u know some causes of this? Like a relay, fuse? Thanks