Thread: Help Troubleshooting a Starting Issue After Sitting 2 Years.

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3

Question Help Troubleshooting a Starting Issue After Sitting 2 Years.

Hello,

So long story short My 1995 M3 has been sitting in storage for about 2 years or so and I just got back and threw a battery in it and to no avail I can't get it to start.

It had some gas in the tank when I left her and I added a little of that fuel stabilizer at that time. Before I tried starting it for the first time in almost 2 years I added a few new gallons of gas and some Seafoam to the tank.

I try to turn it over and nothing, it acts like it wants to start but it wont. Nothing has changed with the car except it sitting for 2 years. Do you think a fresh oil change would fix this problem? I feel like its something related to the fuel system because its cranking over but Im not getting any ignition, I doubt the spark plugs are bad.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I also uploaded a video to youtube of the check engine light diagnostics but I have not clue how to decipher that damn thing.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Key battery dead? Maybe the EWS is preventing a start. Does it try to start at all, or just cranks, and no coughs or anything ... Oil change won't do anything. Not a bad idea to do, but it won't prevent starting.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Key battery dead? Maybe the EWS is preventing a start. Does it try to start at all, or just cranks, and no coughs or anything ... Oil change won't do anything. Not a bad idea to do, but it won't prevent starting.

They key doesnt have a battery. I was thinking it could be something ews related but it does act like it wants to start and it doesnt. It will crank and crank then make a jittery sound and nothing.

I have a new battery on the way.

My Cars
    '95 M3| '98 M3 | '03 M5
    By trying to start I assume you mean crank, if that's the case check the fuel pump. When you turn the key to position 2 you should hear the pump prime. I bought a car that was sitting for at least three years and the culprit was a rusted fuel pump. I also replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs.
    1995 Cosmoschwartz M3/2/5- Daily Driver
    1996 Estorilblau M3/2/5- Beater
    1998 Cosmoschwartz M3/4/5- Garaged
    2003 Sterling Grey M5- "Weekend" Car

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Thought I heard one single click at one point. Is that what it does? If so, sounds like the starter is locked up.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
    Thought I heard one single click at one point. Is that what it does? If so, sounds like the starter is locked up.
    That was just the video of the CEL codes flashing.

Post a video of you actually trying to start it

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post

If the starter is locked up how do I go about getting it unlocked. All I know is the starter is in the worst possible place on this car.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 09-02-2017 at 02:41 AM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    First no crank is different than no start. If car will crank, use a little starting fluid, and see if it will start and run for a few seconds.

No crank, charge battery first. Also, sometimes animals will build a nest in your air intake.

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    After sticking a new battery in the car and trying to start it I can tell the starter is good because the car is cranking and I can tell the fuel pump is working because I can hear it and also smell fuel after flooding the engine. So I take it I am getting no spark so I need to investigate why that is.

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    You know what this reminds me of, The Crank Position Sensor going out.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fbmbirds View Post
    You know what this reminds me of, The Crank Position Sensor going out.
    That is possible ... common on the 95.

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    I had to replace my sensor on my 95 325is not that long ago. I might just swap the sensor out and see.

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    So I got a replacement crank position sensor and a new battery. Not sure what the hell is going on now. Video for the record, To me it seems like the starter is engaging then it disengages after a few cranks.

The car prior to this would just keep cranking and nothing. It wasnt until just recently that it starting cranking then make the sound you hear in the videos. Hopefully I didnt something up by cranking it over so many times.

I will say I just replace my valve cover gasket and when doing so I checked the spark plugs and they looked good. The next thing I will be doing is replacing the fuel filter then probably gonna go ahead and change the oil since I reset the chucking oil service indicator lololol.

Really hope this isnt a starter issue because Im not looking for that type of commitment.

Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 09-02-2017 at 02:43 AM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Pull a coil, stick any spark plug in it and wrap a wire around the plug and ground the wire. Have someone turn the key trying to start it an watch the plus for spark.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    I'm like 90 certain it's gotta be a starter issue. Not looking forward to taking the intake manifold off and checking to make sure its the starter but I guess the one good thing in doing all that would be making sure everything else under there is good and clean.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Since your starter is turning the engine over and it won't start, there is more going on than an intermittent starter issue. Charge the battery, check for spark when cranking.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    Since your starter is turning the engine over and it won't start, there is more going on than an intermittent starter issue. Charge the battery, check for spark when cranking.
    Ok with that being said, I could spray some starter fluid into the intake and see if she will want to start. If it acts like it is then It has to be a fuel delivery issue then right? ie Fuel pump, fuel relay or clogged fuel filter

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Drain the tank get new gas replace the plugs and crank it for a good minute or two

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    -Chris

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    I just replaced the fuel filter. While doing I left the fuel relay and fuel pump fuse in and when I disconnected the filter there was zero pressure. I even turned the key over just to see and still zero pressure. So Im going to take it the fuel pump is shot and will need to be replaced? Is there any sure way of testing the pump to tell?

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by fbmbirds View Post
    Is there any sure way of testing the pump to tell?
    Check fuse 18?
    Jump pins 6&7 on the fuel pump relay.
    Check pin 2 on x638 for voltage and pin for ground.

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 8.29.08 PM.png

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    Just wanted to report back and let everyone know it was the fuel pump. Such a simple replacement procedure to! I remember changing the fuel pump on my wifes' van and I had to drop the tank and it was a pain in the butt. N

Got the car running and it feels good since my other bmw now has a tranny issue im trying to work.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Bosch injectors are notorious for sticking after not being used for a while.
    I see it at least twice a week.
    I'll bet that's your problem.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by adv injector View Post
    Bosch injectors are notorious for sticking after not being used for a while.
    I see it at least twice a week.
    I'll bet that's your problem.
    Or, you know ... the fuel pump, as stated in the post above you, lol.