Thread: Getting my E38 Repainted, Don't Know Which Black.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i

Getting my E38 Repainted, Don't Know Which Black.

Hey guys, I'm getting my E38 repainted on August 1st. I'm getting a $800 paint job from Maaco.

It's Urethane + IC paint job.

I'm going to get my car painted black but I don't know which black to go with.

Should I go with a metallic or a solid black? What are the pros and cons of both? Will Maaco's solid black paint look tacky? Will their metallic black look tacky?

People have also told me that metallic also looks more like a charcoal gray. How black can a metallic get?

I really like how Scwarz II looks but I don't know how good Maaco can do it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Generally Macco paint quality is good.
    For the money, where they lack is in the prep work and masking. Best if you could do a lot of the prep work - remove everything you don't want painted or paint over spray.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    If you can do the prep work yourself then it'll be a decent job. They really skimp on that, but otherwise their paint is decent. The people there do a lot of painting so they're certainly well-practiced.

I've always preferred metallic blacks because they hide imperfections and dust pretty well, whereas solid black *always* looks dirty, especially here in Arizona where it's dusty.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    my two cents...
    it doesnt matter what color you go with cause 1) it's maaco , you will be lucky if they dont permanently ruin almost every one of ur body panels with their in capable un skilled workers sanding.
    2) maacos paint jobs only last / look good for a few years at most.
    make sure you go to a well known well reviewed Maaco and yes -- as others said -- i would do the prep work you self, but again i would NOT have a maaco paint it.
    also , their paint jobs are what you call a ten footer paint job cause they only looks good from 10 feet away...

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by mooll View Post
    my two cents...
    it doesnt matter what color you go with cause 1) it's maaco , you will be lucky if they dont permanently ruin almost every one of ur body panels with their in capable un skilled workers sanding.
    2) maacos paint jobs only last / look good for a few years at most.
    make sure you go to a well known well reviewed Maaco and yes -- as others said -- i would do the prep work you self, but again i would NOT have a maaco paint it.
    also , their paint jobs are what you call a ten footer paint job cause they only looks good from 10 feet away...
    I was weary at first but the one I'm going to has a 4.5 star rating and the manager Steve has done a lot of work for my dads business whenever customers come in for body damage and paint. I think he'll prep my car well.

- - - Updated - - -

But can anyone tell me whether to go metallic or solid? How good will solid look compared to metallic? Does metallic really hide the flaws? Also how black can metallic really be?

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss
    I had my 740i sport re-painted last year and it was Black but Never really liked the stock black paint in the Bright sun it looked grey so I went with the Blackest Black the Body shop could find I don't care for Metallic Black because if you ding it metallics are harder to match. I did go with a 2 stage paint job ( paint / Clear coat ) but they do make Great single stage paint ........I paid $1800.00 but a couple shops wanted $5000.00 so $800.00 is CHEAP. I took all the trim and lights off myself because I've done a lot of it through the years and I bought all new oem connectors to put it back together right
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by setconstr View Post
    I had my 740i sport re-painted last year and it was Black but Never really liked the stock black paint in the Bright sun it looked grey so I went with the Blackest Black the Body shop could find I don't care for Metallic Black because if you ding it metallics are harder to match. I did go with a 2 stage paint job ( paint / Clear coat ) but they do make Great single stage paint ........I paid $1800.00 but a couple shops wanted $5000.00 so $800.00 is CHEAP. I took all the trim and lights off myself because I've done a lot of it through the years and I bought all new oem connectors to put it back together right
    Sweet thanks. How dark do you think the blackest metallic paint would be in comparison to the darkest black that you got?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    The best way to use maaco is to go talk with the manager first. Tell them what you want and work out a price. Remove everything you can and prep it as much as you can. Even mask yourself and tow it. They really "can" do great work. Clay (m5hunter) had his done in the stock non metallic black and it looks great.

Personal preference but solid black always looks best. I never liked metallic blacks personally.

Here's clays car. Only pic I could find now.

Last edited by RVAE34; 07-28-2017 at 08:34 AM.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    I say go with aspen silver (black)
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    The best way to use maaco is to go talk with the manager first. Tell them what you want and work out a price. Remove everything you can and prep it as much as you can. Even mask yourself and tow it. They really "can" do great work. Clay (m5hunter) had his done in the stock non metallic black and it looks great.

Personal preference but solid black always looks best. I never liked metallic blacks personally.

Wow so Clay went with a solid black?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    His car was already solid black. Just needed a respray.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il

Do you know if he got clear coat also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 740il

Those could be the scariest jack stands I've ever seen :0

My Cars
    2001 740il
    I think metallic black always looks dirty, if done right single stage black is the best, gives a lot of room for buffing and sanding and triple black is the blackest color you can get.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundaycruzer View Post
    Those could be the scariest jack stands I've ever seen :0

Those are solid as you could imagine. Could park a dump truck on them. Physics...

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Those are solid as you could imagine. Could park a dump truck on them. Physics...
    Cribbing is solid for a house.....

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Don't even know what that means

My Cars
    2001 740il

Cribbing is what it's called yo.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Aha. Did not know that.

My Cars
    1986 Buick Regal WH1
    OT: we use same sort of cribbing in the fire service = solid when done right!

My Cars
    2000 740il, 1965 Mustang
    I used a single stage acrylic on my 65 Mustang. Ford Raven Black i think it was. When wet sanded and buffed out, it looks amazing. The only problem with single stage acrylic is you get no UV protection unless you mix in some clear coat with it. A good wax will help but my Mustang stays in the garage mostly so I didn't worry about the non-UV paint.

20160710_214619.jpg

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Agreed acrylic enamel lacks uv protection although the binders they use these days are urethane based so not too sure if that's the case. For a daily driver base-clear is a better choice for over all longevity and spot repair

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Paint your car HellRot or EstorilBlau, that way your car will look really dope
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    Paint your car HellRot or EstorilBlau, that way your car will look really dope
    Yup. Baddest color bimmer ever made.....me first #colormeblue