Thread: 1999 M Roadster Clock Bulb type

My Cars
    X3, M Roadster, 540i

1999 M Roadster Clock Bulb type

Hi folks,

I need to replace the bulb that illuminates the analog clock in my 1999 M Roadster. Does anyone know what type of bulb I need to purchase?

Also, I've read that you can access the clock by gently bending the side panel and unscrewing the backing nut. Does anyone have experience doing that? I saw this video, but it seems way overkill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su0AlvU3Wd4

I have the Bentley manual on order - I heard there are reasonable instructions in there. I guess I'll see. :-)

Thanks!

/greg

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Clock is pretty easy to remove. Undo the screws holding the console on the driver's side (just two I think...the ones with the little round covers). Pull back the corner (it's pretty flexible) and reach in with your left hand and unscrew the clock while holding the clock with your right. At least that's how I got all my gauges out. I replaced the gauge bulbs with 168 bulbs from a 10 pack on Amazon for under $7. Your local parts store will have these too. Many, many months later, no problems.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    X3, M Roadster, 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Clock is pretty easy to remove. Undo the screws holding the console on the driver's side (just two I think...the ones with the little round covers). Pull back the corner (it's pretty flexible) and reach in with your left hand and unscrew the clock while holding the clock with your right. At least that's how I got all my gauges out.
    Cool. That's part of what I needed to know...

I replaced the gauge bulbs with 168 bulbs from a 10 pack on Amazon for under $7. Your local parts store will have these too. Many, many months later, no problems.
    I didn't want to replace with LEDs because I would / should do them all so they match. Do you remember what the stock wattage was from the OEM incandescent bulbs?

Thanks,

/greg

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarch View Post
    Cool. That's part of what I needed to know...

I didn't want to replace with LEDs because I would / should do them all so they match. Do you remember what the stock wattage was from the OEM incandescent bulbs?

Thanks,

/greg
    What else do you need to know? If you've never replaced a VDO gauge bulb, you might stare at the bulb holder funny when you take out the gauge. The holder is held in with a friction fit, and just turning it a few degrees off vertical tends to free it. Some are in there tighter than others.

From my Amazon order, bulbs were listed as 4.9 Watts. They're maybe a little brighter than what came out. I did not use LED either, but they're so easy to replace, you could change your mind later.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    X3, M Roadster, 540i
    What else do you need to know? If you've never replaced a VDO gauge bulb, you might stare at the bulb holder funny when you take out the gauge. The holder is held in with a friction fit, and just turning it a few degrees off vertical tends to free it. Some are in there tighter than others.

From my Amazon order, bulbs were listed as 4.9 Watts. They're maybe a little brighter than what came out. I did not use LED either, but they're so easy to replace, you could change your mind later.
    Amazon shows different wattages for #168 bulbs. For example, this link shows 4.9w@14v. This link shows it as 0.5w@12v (but it's LED). This link shows 5w@12v. None of them actually mention lumens.

Add to that, I read some place that the OEM bulbs were 1.8w, while someone said they used "brighter 3w bulbs".

Basically, I can't find any consistent specs on the OEM bulbs for the clock (which I assume is the same for the voltmeter and oil temp). I can't even tell if they are the same bulbs used in the instrument cluster (different sites say different things - although, I would think they are?)

My Cars
    z3
    RealOEM usually lists the bulb specifications in the diagrams

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Amazon shows different wattages for #168 bulbs. For example, this link shows 4.9w@14v. This link shows it as 0.5w@12v (but it's LED). This link shows 5w@12v. None of them actually mention lumens.

Add to that, I read some place that the OEM bulbs were 1.8w, while someone said they used "brighter 3w bulbs".

Basically, I can't find any consistent specs on the OEM bulbs for the clock (which I assume is the same for the voltmeter and oil temp). I can't even tell if they are the same bulbs used in the instrument cluster (different sites say different things - although, I would think they are?)
    I've never pulled the instrument cluster, but the HVAC bulbs are indeed different (proprietary BMW bulbs). 168s seem quite large for a cluster, but someone here knows for sure.

3W at 12V is 3.5W at 14V. Is a 4.9W bulb going to be a problem? Is my Amazon bulb actually 4.9W @ 14V or 14.4V? Who knows? You can always just order up a bulb from BMW and see what you get. I'm guessing they have a wattage and voltage stamped somewhere on the bulb. My theory is that I'm always in the car when the lights are on. If there was ever a problem I'd know about it pretty quickly (and I do have a fire extinguisher mounted to my seat just in case).

VDO website lists 1.2W and 3.4W bulbs in the 168 category.

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/accessori...placement.html
    Last edited by s8ilver; 07-27-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I've never pulled the instrument cluster, but the HVAC bulbs are indeed different (proprietary BMW bulbs). 168s seem quite large for a cluster, but someone here knows for sure.

3W at 12V is 3.5W at 14V. Is a 4.9W bulb going to be a problem? Is my Amazon bulb actually 4.9W @ 14V or 14.4V? Who knows? You can always just order up a bulb from BMW and see what you get. I'm guessing they have a wattage and voltage stamped somewhere on the bulb. My theory is that I'm always in the car when the lights are on. If there was ever a problem I'd know about it pretty quickly (and I do have a fire extinguisher mounted to my seat just in case).

VDO website lists 1.2W and 3.4W bulbs in the 168 category.

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/accessori...placement.html
    The 3.4W version of the 168 is the 194, which again, one can buy by the dozen for cheap.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    There are a whole slew of T3-1/4 based bulbs that one can use to tune the look - both brightness and color...

this lists some/quite a few of the possibles:

http://www.bulbtown.com/T3_1_4_Glass...show=30&page=1

My Cars
    X3, M Roadster, 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    RealOEM usually lists the bulb specifications in the diagrams
    ^^^ This! Never knew about that site - it's awesome!

This link shows the bulb. It's a 2w@12v bulb. Heh, so what it doesn't tell me is what the bulb actually is! More research, I guess...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I did find this on Amazon.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    ^^^ This! Never knew about that site - it's awesome!

This link shows the bulb. It's a 2w@12v bulb. Heh, so what it doesn't tell me is what the bulb actually is! More research, I guess...

- - Updated - - -

Probably a #161 ... though note: most automotive bulbs are really either 14v or 13.5v... 12v become toast pretty quickly, in that they see quite a bit more than that most of the time.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe

Lightbulb

I can't imagine they sell very many of those at $13.33 apiece, but at least you get free shipping!
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe

I can't imagine they sell very many of those at $13.33 apiece, but at least you get free shipping!

List price was $3 back in the day:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=62_0321

And the genuine BMW bulb socket (which isn't made by BMW at all) is only $3.78 today:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/62132695217/

And for some reason the bulbs come in 10 packs:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...62132695218kt/
    Last edited by s8ilver; 07-27-2017 at 02:36 PM.
    Nathan in Denver