Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: scratched my paint yesterday. What to do to prevent rust?

My Cars
    2007 328CI

scratched my paint yesterday. What to do to prevent rust?

Last night I was working on changing my rear brake pad and unfortunately I scratched the side of my car with a metal bar. The scratch is barely visible but it's deep and if I leave it, then rust will appear. I am traveling soon and I can't wait for anything that takes time to ship. Anything I can do to prevent rust for now?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    If it is all the way through the paint and primer to the bare metal, you need touch up paint and/or clear on it to prevent rust. You can get this online, or probably at any BMW dealer. If you want it to look pretty you'll need to do some sanding and multiple applications. If you just want something quick to protect it until you maybe fix it in the future, you can probably apply a thin line of touch-up clearcoat in a line right down the center of the scratch.

If there's still paint or primer at the bottom of the scratch, then it should be fine as-is.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    2007 328CI
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    If it is all the way through the paint and primer to the bare metal, you need touch up paint and/or clear on it to prevent rust. You can get this online, or probably at any BMW dealer. If you want it to look pretty you'll need to do some sanding and multiple applications. If you just want something quick to protect it until you maybe fix it in the future, you can probably apply a thin line of touch-up clearcoat in a line right down the center of the scratch.

If there's still paint or primer at the bottom of the scratch, then it should be fine as-is.

I put on some clear nail polish on it for now. That should be good for a week or two until I buy something online. What do you think? I will apply multiple layers of the nail polish.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    That should be fine.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    If bare metal is showing, I'd get something like Rust Mort. It's a phosphorus based liquid that changes rust into an inert phoshoric compound. Use an artist's paintbrush to apply it along the length of the scratch. Then using an extremely small artist's paintbrush, apply touchup paint to the scratch. Apply enough coats to raise the level higher than the surrounding paint.
    Then wet sand with 1000, and 2000 grit paper until everything is level.
    Then polish the affected area with a polish like ScratchX2.0 until the 2000 grit sanding marks are restored to a high shine.
    I've had good dealings with paintscratch.com.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    Wax it often and wait for more scratches "until you get a few more" for any bodyshop touch ups --like front spoilers etc.---badges go courage I say