Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: what about using an ionizer for killing musty/moldy odors in the car?

My Cars
    Black

what about using an ionizer for killing musty/moldy odors in the car?

A while back I asked about getting Einzsett ETU and 1Z for killing mold in the car. A friend of mine mentioned that the local GM dealer uses a purifier that they leave inside each vehicle overnight. It runs off 110VAC and I guess its an ionizer of some sort. His contacts in the service department told him the thing will kill any smell - mold, cigars, whatever.

He's been shopping for a unit he can use on his fleet at home, and now I'm interested in getting one. The only problem is that every unit I see is an ozone generator not a negative ion generator, and I seem to remember that having ozone around is a bad thing, at least according to the old ionizing literature referenced by JS&A in the late 70s.

Does anyone here have experience with one of these things?

Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator

My Cars
    E36 Compact,Coupe,E30
    Have one and it does work for getting musty/smoke smell out of a car. Tutorials say it can hurt interior if left on too long and to treat leather after. I would use as a last resort to get smells out of a car. And yes the machine can be hazardous. If you're in MI/OH you're more then welcome to try out mine.
    S52 E36 Compact
    E36 325is Coronaproject
    08 Saab 9-3 in Oxford Green

My Cars
    Black
    I appreciate the offer, unfortunately I'm a thousand miles away from Toledo. Which unit do you have?

My Cars
    E36 Compact,Coupe,E30
    Have this one: https://www.air-zone.com/store/products/xt-4000/

Most things I read about the negatives of an ozone machine is that the machine itself is toxic. I would not let run overnight in a vehicle. I try and take carpet out of vehicle, shampoo twice, (currently like Chemical Guys Fabric cleaner but there are far more potent products out there. It's not harsh and scent doesn't last which I like) then hang to air dry as fast as possible. Then if I still sense a lingering odor I'll "shock" the interior.
    S52 E36 Compact
    E36 325is Coronaproject

My Cars
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEKTI View Post
    Have this one: https://www.air-zone.com/store/products/xt-4000/

Most things I read about the negatives of an ozone machine is that the machine itself is toxic. I would not let run overnight in a vehicle. I try and take carpet out of vehicle, shampoo twice, (currently like Chemical Guys Fabric cleaner but there are far more potent products out there. It's not harsh and scent doesn't last which I like) then hang to air dry as fast as possible. Then if I still sense a lingering odor I'll "shock" the interior.

That looks like one heck of a mold killer you have there. I wish I was in your town; I'd rent that from you for a couple of days.

We hit the car with Nextzett ETU a few days ago, and I already cleaned the evap coil with Klima-Clean. The smell has been greatly reduced but I can still detect it. I like your idea about cleaning the carpets, and pulling them all out will give me a chance to clean under them.

My Cars
    E36 Compact,Coupe,E30
    If you have an affordable way to get it to you via freight you can borrow for free. It gets used a couple times a year.

I never use any sort of carpet cleaner. I've found best to pull carpets, clean 2-3 times with choice of shampoo, and rinse with hottest possible water. Using a shop vac, highest HP available. Working in small sections to get the water off. Then try and bring the carpet inside, set couple box fans on it and a dehumidifier in room. That's cleared up any sort of odor I've had. The ozone machine might work to clean out the vents in the car, I have yet to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    S52 E36 Compact
    E36 325is Coronaproject

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    I had to buy an ozone machine after our car was stolen and recovered earlier this year. The smell was so bad we had to, and the little thing worked, well. Would recommend.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/2686117-post5.html
    Last edited by CblockM3; 09-18-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    CBlock

My Cars
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    I had to buy an ozone machine after our car was stolen and recovered earlier this year. The smell was so bad we had to, and the little thing worked, well. Would recommend.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/2686117-post5.html
    Cool. Which one did you get?

My Cars
    This is the ozone generator that I use. https://www.a2zozone.com/products/aqua6

My Cars
    Black
    Following up my earlier post...

I purchased the ozone machine CBlock listed. We found it on Amazon, like everything else out there. I ran it a couple of times for an hour each time, about three or four weeks apart. Now the car doesn't smell like mildew, its smells like ozone.

Detailing ain't easy.

My Cars
    The residual smell of ozone is harmless and goes away after a day or two. With mine, I'll run in 20 minutes per hour for six or seven hours (per car that needs it). One caveat is that too much ozone can cause plastics to become brittle. Here's what it does to latex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMYFgPCQ2ho
    Last edited by Bostongruen; 07-01-2018 at 10:41 PM.

My Cars
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostongruen View Post
    The residual smell of ozone is harmless and goes away after a day or two.
    Not in this car. It smells like it was just treated, a month later.

My Cars
    A small bag or two of zeolite should suck up the odor.

My Cars
    Black
    I'll have to try that. Thanks.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Circling back a year later lol. The smell in our 4runner was so terrible the Ozone was pleasant in comparison. If I remember correctly it only lasted maybe a week or two before it was gone. A year later and there isn't a trace of it. Best of luck, hopefully it goes away for you soon!
    CBlock

My Cars
    Black
    It did go away, replaced by the smell of mold again. I'm about over this car already. We've run the factory climate system cleaner through and that helped tremendously, but there's still a residual smell that kills us. Time to trade for an X2!