Thread: need help for new project

My Cars
    2011 vw gti

need help for new project

so ive been really wanting to get an e34 to build as a sleeper project. I love the look of the e34 so I know this is where I want to start. unfortunately I don't know jack about bmw engines or which one would be a good platform. I found a 95 530i I believe it was that has the 3.0L v8. all I'm really looking for it 400-500hp out of it. id like to do a turbo but if i stick with a bmw engine what would be the best to put in that's boost friendly without having to spend a bunch on upgraded internals. id also want to have a manual tranny so is there a good tranny to put in that will handle 400-500hp reliably? also what rear end would do this? i was toying with the idea of swapping a 2jz into it with the 5 speed manual and id know id have to do a bunch of custom fabing unless somebody knows of somebody who sells a good kit to start that kind of swap. i don't have the car yet or the engine yet and id be doing my own work so right now I'm just looking for some good advise for an e34 to make a reliable 400-500 hp for 6-7k

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    The beauty of this hobby is that it's entirely up to you. The best advice I can offer is to take in consideration what others have done but build the car how you want to or you might not be happy with the results. I really dig the e34 as a starting point. There is a ton of info on the forums for turbocharging the BMW I-6 and if you're starting with an M50 then it may be the easiest way to reach your goals to turbocharge it. If you want to swap engines to one from another manufacturer then you're pretty much on your own for swap parts for the E34, AFAIK. My vote would be, if you're not swapping, build an M50 for boost and turbocharge or if you are swapping, LS with a few upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    2011 vw gti
    only issue I really see is I'm trying to keep it low cost. I mean yea ill be spending 8kish on a 3k car. ive been really liking the whole 2jz idea and I found one that has some engine issues with the 3.0L v8 with a ton of miles so id likely swap anyways. just wasn't sure if I wanted to do the whole 2jz thing since the car is 1500 and a 2jz with 5 speed and ecu is 2500 then figure spend 1000 hrs just putting it together and another 2-3k on materials to make it work. if I go from the m60 to the m50 what else may I all need for that to work. the one I found is also manual which I like so would the same tranny work or would I also need a tranny for an m50 swap? also if anybody has any info on doing a 2jz swap any tips and info is greatly appreciated to help make up my mind. my experience is mostly Honda and swapping Honda motors to other Hondas. I feel like I may run into trouble if I do end up doing a swap from another manufacture is getting the shifter to line up and get it to sit right on the inside of the car. and if there is a link to a turbo kit of some sort for the m50 or would I have to basically build my own turbo kit for it? also what could the m50 safely boost if I don't build the bottom end? even if it doesn't get me to 400 hp itll still be one hell of a fun drivers car!

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Tons of information out there. Do some research and report back. Trm, aa and multiple other companies make off the shelf turbo kits for the M/S series motors. Safe boost? I've heard m52's can hold up to around 600hp on stock internals but once again I'd do some research. I'd start by visiting the https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...rced-Induction section and asking them.