Thread: Help me choose! (e30 or e46)

My Cars
    BMW

Question Help me choose! (e30 or e46)

A little about me: owned an e30 '87 325(e) and an e46 '03 325i in the past (at different times). I do all work (repairs, maintenance, etc.) myself and pretty comfortable with either car. After I sold my e30, I've always missed the driving characteristic of that raw, driving pleasure. But ever since I've discovered the ZHP, I've told myself that I have to own one at some point. And as I'm in the market for a 'new' daily, the opportunity for both came up (and opportunities like these in Hawaii are rare, especially a clean e30 and a ZHP)

My dilemma:
    there is an e30 '88 325is (160,XXX miles-assumed [odo broken]) and an e46 330i ZHP (165,XXX miles), both manual, that I'm interested in. Checked both out, test driven (rode shotgun in the e30) and cannot decide which one to get. Both are around the same price range. This is going to be my daily (and only car, no parking for both). I like the idea of a more comfortable daily driver, but will miss that raw feeling when I'm in my "spirited" mood.

So I need a 'nudge' towards one or the other. I know which ever one I get, whenever I see the other on the road I'll probably regret it for a moment, but in the end be happy with my purchase. I'm not here to start a "why one is superior than the other" thread, as both has its pros and cons, but why someone (who may have been in the same boat as I) chose, or would choose, one or the other.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I've searched and read most of the "e30 vs e46" threads and both sides make convincing reasoning, but still can't decide. Oh, also no e36 because there isn't any on the market right now I'm interested in.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Didn't read, I vote E30.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by youngminty View Post
    Oh, also no e36 because there isn't any on the market right now I'm interested in.
    Unless you are currently at the base of an active volcano, you don't need a car right this millisecond. An E36 fits all the criteria you need - power and refinement of the ZHP with the connected driving feel more like the E30, so why not just wait for one? Join some local facebook groups, a lot of cars trade hands on mediums like that and you'll never see them on craigslist or other sales sites.

But if I had to choose between an E30 and E46, I'm going with the E46 all day. It's going to be a better car to live with since you can only have one car.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Unless you are currently at the base of an active volcano...
    Did you see his location?

Seriously, I'm aware the active volcano is one island to the east, so it should not influence his car buying decision.

I'd expect the E30 to have a bit more issues with rubber deterioration and rust since you're so near the ocean, making the E46 likely to need slightly less work. As for the "raw" feeling - do you have any chances to really open up the E46 and drive it to its limits? Something like an autocross event or track days? E46s are still plenty of fun if you can push them to their limits. The limits are just significantly higher.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Having an E30 as a daily really never gets boring.

Really.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by 323i E30 View Post
    Having an E30 as a daily really never gets boring.

Really.
    In all seriousness, I've dailied my E30 for five and a half years and I find it just about perfect. I did do quite a bit to get it to that point, however. Way less aesthetically forgettable than an E46, though.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Unless you are currently at the base of an active volcano, you don't need a car right this millisecond.
    Haha, yeah it is true that the volcanoes are dormant (as far as I know), but I am in transition of jobs and a vehicle now would be more beneficial than not having one. And I did have an e36 '97 M3 Dakar Yellow Sedan, but was stupid and sold it. Totally regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
    I'd expect the E30 to have a bit more issues with rubber deterioration and rust since you're so near the ocean, making the E46 likely to need slightly less work.
    You may be right, but when I checked out the cars, the e46 seem likes a little longer chore (that was visible) compared to the e30. But as you said the rubber could be more of an issue on the e30.

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Should have said that would probably make the average E30 need less work, as the choice is going to be between individual cars. If the E46 needs less work, I just might go with the E30 in this situation.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    97 328is, 00 323ci
    I vote e30 because their value is going up while the e46 is going down. Don't get me wrong I like both of those vehicles, and have owned multiples of each chassis (still have one late model e30 vert). But the e30 is skyrocketing in value.

Driving... both are fun. Looks... both are good. Maintenance cost... e30 might be a little cheaper depending on initial purchase condition. E46 is more modern and comfortable.

In the end, which fits your needs more right now?