Thread: 2005 325i Bluetooth Installation / Questions

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i (e46)

Question 2005 325i Bluetooth Installation / Questions

Hey All,

New [to me] BMW owner. I have a 2005 325i (e46). This has the 'business cd' head unit (no nav, no harmon kardon).

The steering wheel has a voicecall button, and, there is a microphone [cover at least] in the center part near the interior lights. So, I thought I had bluetooth.

However, upon furthur inspection and watching lots of youtube videos, and scouring forums I don't have the pin-out in the center console that I should short with a paperclip, nor does there appear to be a ULF or TLU (I think that's right? haha) units in the back.

See this gallery for what I see in the trunk. Note the top left where there is a cable wrapped up, when the velcro is un-done there are two pin heads that i assume are to connect to the cd changer if i had one.

http://imgur.com/a/kNbxn

So, this leads me to believe;

• a) either the previous owner removed the bluetooth module and cd changer from the back.
    • b) the car has just been wired up for bluetooth connectivity but never came with all the 'guts' from the factory.

Now, this presents a problem as it's illegal to use phones in cars in my province unless using bluetooth, and, I can't stream my precious music to the speakers!

From what I've seen, there seems to be a few ways to do this;

1. Get the OEM bluetooth module from BMW, install it, and all required cables and run something to the front of the car so I can pair it. I'm not even sure if I have to have the CD Changer unit as well for the bluetooth to connect to, some videos seem to allude to that. This seems very costly.
    2. Change the head unit to something else. However, nothing matches the interior, and the only replacement I've found is double din, which would make it impossible to use the heating controls. This option doesn't seem useful.
    3. Carefully pry out the mouldings, and then take out the head unit, and install an aftermarket Bluetooth receiver that plugs into the head unit. I've found several of these on ebay by different vendors.

I've read this;
    https://web.archive.org/web/20101125...d.php?t=720922

And, I've read this;
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Voice-Command

Neither of these seem super conclusive with 2017 information. So, I wanted to ask the question again.

What is the best plan of action here? I want to keep the stock head unit (i may replace the factory speakers with one of those kits instead), and make use of the bluetooth button on the steering wheel, and, the original microphone location so everything is super clean in the car. It would also be cool to hook up an ipod or, usb drive if possible as well but that might be getting too crazy.

Which looks like I should use;
    or
    or

Question is, which is the best option? I'm not positive from everything I've read about this so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I just installed Bluetooth in my 2004 330. The factory BT only allows you to send and receive calls. It doesn't allow you to stream music. Streaming audio was still very new back when the e46 was being designed. From what others have said and from my own experience I can say the incoming sound/voice quality is pretty good but the outgoing quality isn't very good. My daughter keeps asking me if I'm riding with all the windows down. The system works very well for what it is.

Look on your trunk lid. If your car is prewired for factory cell phone then you probably have all the connectors and wiring for the factory BT. My car came with a TCU (cell phone) module installed. I guess there is a way to use BT and your own phone with the TCU module. I decided to remove it and replace it with a ULF module. The ULF module allows you to use voice control to make calls. To install the ULF module you need to purchase a BT antennae. This gets installed under the rear ashtray in the center console. You install the ULF module in the trunk. There should be a black harness connector and an antennae connector. It might be wrapped up in black foam and it might be hidden but it should be there if your car is prewired. My understanding is most e46s came prewired. Under the armrest/center console you should find the black connector for the BT pairing button. You don't need that button to put the car into pairing mode. You can use a jumper wire between 2 of the pins. Instructions are online. That connector and the one for the BT antennae may be tucked under the carpet. Mine wasn't.

My suggestion is to get a new head unit that has all the features you want. The only reason I didn't is because I can't find a head unit that looks OEM unless you spend a small fortune.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I suggest you'll look into an adapter that plugs into the CD changer cables in the left side of the trunk. They are behind the vertical trunk liner. GROM and other brands are good solutions. Check the audio action at E46Fanatics.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i (e46)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    I suggest you'll look into an adapter that plugs into the CD changer cables in the left side of the trunk. They are behind the vertical trunk liner. GROM and other brands are good solutions. Check the audio action at E46Fanatics.
    Okay thanks, so I'm looking at this;

http://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapt...connector.html

Is that my best/cheapest option? Does it go in the trunk, or does it go in the dash behind the radio? I'd prefer to pop it in the trunk as that'd be easier than taking out the radio.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i (e46)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    My daughter keeps asking me if I'm riding with all the windows down. The system works very well for what it is.
    wow, okay, good to know, i saw some that come with updated microphones..

Look on your trunk lid. If your car is prewired for factory cell phone then you probably have all the connectors and wiring for the factory BT. My car came with a TCU (cell phone) module installed. I guess there is a way to use BT and your own phone with the TCU module. I decided to remove it and replace it with a ULF module. The ULF module allows you to use voice control to make calls. To install the ULF module you need to purchase a BT antennae. This gets installed under the rear ashtray in the center console. You install the ULF module in the trunk.

There should be a black harness connector and an antennae connector. It might be wrapped up in black foam and it might be hidden but it should be there if your car is prewired.
    Yep, i have this!

Under the armrest/center console you should find the black connector for the BT pairing button.
    This, I don't seem to have though (weird!)

My suggestion is to get a new head unit that has all the features you want. The only reason I didn't is because I can't find a head unit that looks OEM unless you spend a small fortune.
    Yeah, i'm in the same boat, I'd rather get an adapter of some type if possible so everything looks as stock as possible.

Thanks for the input!

My Cars
    '06 325ci, Monaco Blue
    Hi,

With an '05, you should have a place to plug in an AUX cable in the back of your Business radio. (many youtube vids to walk you through). Once you do that, you have a lot of options and it will work with your steering wheel controls when you set your radio to AUX with the mode button.

I have an '06 and do have the Bluetooth module. It connects to my phone and works great, but you cannot play music through it. I did the AUX cable thing and it works just fine. I've got everything stashed away and it all looks good.

Let me know if you have any questions.

diArdi

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by diArdi View Post
    Hi,

With an '05, you should have a place to plug in an AUX cable in the back of your Business radio. (many youtube vids to walk you through). Once you do that, you have a lot of options and it will work with your steering wheel controls when you set your radio to AUX with the mode button.

I have an '06 and do have the Bluetooth module. It connects to my phone and works great, but you cannot play music through it. I did the AUX cable thing and it works just fine. I've got everything stashed away and it all looks good.

Let me know if you have any questions.

diArdi
    I have the aux port cable installed. Just to clarify....that's all it is. An aux port. You can't use the steering wheel buttons to control anything that's plugged into the Aux Port

My Cars
    '06 325ci, Monaco Blue
    I have the aux port cable installed. Just to clarify....that's all it is. An aux port. You can't use the steering wheel buttons to control anything that's plugged into the Aux Port
    I control the volume of what's playing on my iPhone connected by Bluetooth to my AUX port with my steering wheel controls everyday.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I control the volume of what's playing on my iPhone connected by Bluetooth to my AUX port with my steering wheel controls everyday.
    Your phone is connected by BT to your aux port? I don't understand that one. The aux port is for a cable to plug into. There's no BT involved.

Yes you can use the volume controls on the steering wheel but that's all. You can't use the wheel to scroll through your library or control anything the phone does. At least not with the factory Aux port.

My Cars
    '06 325ci, Monaco Blue
    Yes, I have a bluetooth adapter plugged into the AUX port. (sorry if my above post was confusing)

For me, at least, I find it easy enough to change music or podcasts or whatever using my iPhone screen which is within easy reach on the magnetic mount on the vent just to the right of the steering wheel.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Yes, I have a bluetooth adapter plugged into the AUX port. (sorry if my above post was confusing)

For me, at least, I find it easy enough to change music or podcasts or whatever using my iPhone screen which is within easy reach on the magnetic mount on the vent just to the right of the steering wheel.
    Sounds good. Unfortunately touching your phone screen gets you a $200 ticket around here.

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    I think it would also be good to mention that the bt unit in the E46 doesn't work well with (new) android phones. Iphones don't seem to have a problem. I'd hate for OP to go through the trouble of installing factory bt only for it not to work properly as he has an android phone.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i (e46)
    Hey All,

Just thought I'd report in. I decided to go with the GROM BT3 connector box and it's working beautifully, and wasn't very hard to install either. Just needed a butter knife, and a star screwdriver for the whole she-bang!

Thanks for all the help and input everybody!

My Cars
    '04 BMW 325 Ci blk cpe
    why can't we all get along and get this little beauty.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182688815295...84.m1436.l2649

there are plenty of YouTube videos on how easy it is to install, it will do Bluetooth/sat-nav/cd/radio and works well w/android phn. (just my two cents)

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1kz View Post

there are plenty of YouTube videos on how easy it is to install, it will do Bluetooth/sat-nav/cd/radio and works well w/android phn. (just my two cents)
    Hahaha because that little beauty is a piece of junk.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i (e46)
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1kz View Post

While that may work for the ones with sat nav, I don't have it, so I would lose my climate controls the GROM box works wonderfully for me!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by flewid View Post

While that may work for the ones with sat nav, I don't have it, so I would lose my climate controls the GROM box works wonderfully for me!
    You don't lose your climate controls. They move a little lower in the dash

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i (e46)
    You don't lose your climate controls. They move a little lower in the dash
    oh really? weird, i dont' see how that'd fit, either way i'm all set without an aftermarket head unit

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i, 2012 Merc
    Hi guys
    Has anyone to installed Anycar ? How is this one compares to GROM BT3?
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bluetooth-USB...UAAOSw0vBUd0kA
    Last edited by Yober; 09-29-2017 at 10:14 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i, 2012 Merc
    anyone ???