Thread: SLR Camber adapters don't work with BC BR series.

My Cars
    1985 535i

SLR Camber adapters don't work with BC BR series.

Not much else to say. Just in case anyone was wondering. I don't know if it's this new generation coilover. But They're not even close. Not sure what to do now. I may try adding some more adjustment into the towers.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Get a thick steel plate and drill some holes.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Annoyingly the Ebay camber plates that are on the car now line up perfectly so I'm going to give BC a call tomorrow and see if I can get info on disassembly and see if I can swap over.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yea. that's kind of the problem with the "one size fits all" approach. SLR at least made it so you can widen stuff out. Much harder to make things smaller (ask me how I know)

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Yea. that's kind of the problem with the "one size fits all" approach. SLR at least made it so you can widen stuff out. Much harder to make things smaller (ask me how I know)
    I'm curious now. haha.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm talking about my lil drifter.

My Cars
    98 328is
    well, that kinda sucks. i was hoping to buy BCs and in the future maybe run that SLR camber thingy.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I believe I read somewhere that you can request bc to put on the bigger sized tophat, that being said I cant remember where the hell I saw it haha. Pretty sure Sean was the one to say it too... damn short term memory.. maybe when mine show up I can whip up some sort of adapter, or I'll just swap to my current tophats..

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Yep, Sean told me this when I ordered mine, and I am pretty sure the bolt spacing is listed in the add. He told me to order these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-3-Se...5YLm-7&vxp=mtr

and just use the lower portion. They aren't on the car yet but I have verified they fit the SLR camber plate.

- - - Updated - - -

and taking the BC tophats off is like a 30 second job per coilover, just loosen the spring preload, take the adjustment knob out, and zip off the big nut on top. take off the BC tophat, slap the new one on, reinstall the nut, torque to spec, reinstall adjuster, and done.

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Yep, Sean told me this when I ordered mine, and I am pretty sure the bolt spacing is listed in the add. He told me to order these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-3-Se...5YLm-7&vxp=mtr

and just use the lower portion. They aren't on the car yet but I have verified they fit the SLR camber plate.

- - - Updated - - -

and taking the BC tophats off is like a 30 second job per coilover, just loosen the spring preload, take the adjustment knob out, and zip off the big nut on top. take off the BC tophat, slap the new one on, reinstall the nut, torque to spec, reinstall adjuster, and done.
    That was the plan. I just wanted to get the torque spec. But yolo I guess. Brand new BC coils with ebay camber plates. Should be a good time.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    yeah I just tried to find one for ya, some people say around 70 and someone copy/pasted an email from BC saying "just use an impact" lol.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    3 poop grunts or just use an impact
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    yeah I just tried to find one for ya, some people say around 70 and someone copy/pasted an email from BC saying "just use an impact" lol.
    What's the conversion for 70 to ugga duggas?

My Cars
    1985 535i
    So I called BC last week. They are all clueless to the different sized top hats. Then called Sean yesterday asking about another order I had and we talked about the top hat problem. He told me that the Subaru tophats are still the correct 58 or 48mm? Can't remember. But you can either request those or get the ebay billet ones in the comment above. I'm just going to give my ebay ones a shot and hope they are correct. If not I'll be getting the billet ones.

My Cars
    98 323
    If you really want an idea as to how much torque you should be applying, using the following chart should put you in the right ballpark

That being said, just as BC recommended, I also use an impact to put top hats on. Listen to the sounds that your impact gun is making. Once you can hear the load change, it's time to back off. Hit the nut with 1-2 more .25 second bursts of trigger and you're good to go

Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopi View Post
    If you really want an idea as to how much torque you should be applying, using the following chart should put you in the right ballpark

That being said, just as BC recommended, I also use an impact to put top hats on. Listen to the sounds that your impact gun is making. Once you can hear the load change, it's time to back off. Hit the nut with 1-2 more .25 second bursts of trigger and you're good to go

Thanks. I usually use an air impact (I work for mini cooper and strut mounts are a very common failure item. I was just most concerned with the adjuster at the very top. I finally looked at it today to see how to remove it and I solved all my questions.