Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help to choose Spal puller fun

My Cars
    01 M Coupe, 11 E90 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    Since I wrote this thread, I feel I have to update/correct it. I'm not trying to re-start the debate, I'm done with fan-deletes, just correcting my own words. ..... Further testing at highway speeds proved that I needed to put the mechanical fan back on. Before anyone starts suggesting any of various remedies so that one can do without the mechanical fan in 110 deg+ temps in an M Roadster, let me say that I tried them all (short of the $1200 Zionsville) and made sure all components were working properly. Reinstalling the mehcanical engine fan was the fix.
    Yikes, so i should put the fan back on? Luckily it is very easy to do…
    01 BMW M Coupe
    20 Porsche Macan Turbo
    11 BMW M3
    18 Porsche GT3
    16 Porsche GT4 *sold*
    98 BMW M roadster *sold*
    11 BMW M3 *RIP*

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by A W View Post
    I think location is a big factor here. If it ever got 110° here, nobody's car would over heat because we would all be inside in the air conditioning! We rarely see 95°, anything over 88° is considered to hot.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Right, it's about location. Just put it in your trunk if you ever come to Phoenix in the summer, you might need it.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    It isn't just Phoenix. I live in the central valley of California, south of Sacramento. My weather station recorded a high of 109 last year, and 113 a couple of years ago.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    It isn't just Phoenix. I live in the central valley of California, south of Sacramento. My weather station recorded a high of 109 last year, and 113 a couple of years ago.
    You call that hot????? In Phoenix, when it gets down to 109 in August, we open the doors and enjoy the cool air.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Hey Mpire, I am going to remove my puller fan, do you still need to run the shroud or remove that as well? Seems like all the electric puller fan options aren’t as reliable so almost no point putting any of those in.
    You don't need the shroud if you don't have a fan. Thicker radiators don't fit on the cars with tank mounted overflow.

I just pulled my fan on the S52 and did nothing else. I do have extra gauges because they look cool, and I have experienced no difference. I didn't even do the different thermostat. I did replace every single part of the cooling system with NEW parts, especially the plastic bits. Just because that's the most important thing. Plus I had a leak on the fitting on the back of the motor over the transmission, so replaced that too.

If you insist on keeping the fan, for gods sake make sure its a new one that isn't brittle plastic, and changing the fan without a new fan clutch is a recipe for disaster. Fan clutches are expensive, don't skimp, if they fail then the fan blade goes through the hood while wrecking the whole cooling system and radiator in the process. If you have an old brittle fan, it explodes sooner than a brand new fan does. So a new fan does MORE damage than an old fan when they owner skimps on the fan clutch replacement.

Running a fan is rather pointless. I did install one on my old 2.8 roadster because I didn't trust the person driving it, but the only thing you need to know is that when your cooling system explodes because you didn't change all the plastic bits every 60k miles then turn off the motor immediately and you will have no worries. Trying to get to a safe spot or whatever just fucks your engine.

You can wire in a puller fan pretty easy, but I don't see the point. Money is better spent on a water temp gauge from leatherZ.com

Everyone who keeps whining about the mechanical fan has too much anxiety and should just drive their cars and enjoy them. I currently have 5 Z3s and only the unicorn has a mechanical fan because that's how it came from the factory.
    Last edited by mpire; 03-18-2022 at 08:53 AM.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12