Thread: New member- e31

My Cars
    1997 e31

New member- e31

My son (Alec) and I purchased this e31 in April this year. We have been busy wrenching since then, but wanted to thank the Socal 8's for spending time with us in Monterey last summer. (pointing out the "special features" of the e31)

We were fortunate to share the track with several of the group in our silver e38.

Special thanks to Gary C for taking time to answer multiple emails, and the time the Rocket Scientist spent with us trackside.

Interior is very nice with exception of headliner- we've replaced both water pumps, pulleys, belts and all heater/radiator hoses- nice write up by Tim on that project! Valve cover gaskets done and rewired the headlights in addition to changing fluids. We disconnected the cell phone and have 47ma to ground leakage, before and after, so that appears normal. That was just after our first dead battery experience! Replaced one bad battery so far..

Seat cables are next- just completed the tilt lever driver's side seat back....Pass side window switch not operable.

Question- Does pass window switch come out of the "bezel" or does bezel pop from door? Or is door panel removal required? I'm afraid prying too much will leave a mark in paint/plastic ...

Alec and I will be camped at corkscrew/turn 9 at Historics in August if anyone wants to stop by for some shade or a soda pop at that part of track- will have the (camper) e38.

Lane

e31-1.jpg

My Cars
    94 Euro BMW 850CSi 892
    Welcome home guys

I like your son's name A LOT.
    Board Member of SoCalEights (Marketing, Web Development & Social Media), Vice President: BMWCCA/E31 Chapter, www.cartiologyfilms.com
    Current E31s:
    1997 BMW 840Ci Black on Beige. CSI 62, 107 and 16. Euro-CSi #892.
    Client Represented E31s (Cartiology Films)
    1994 BMW 850CSi #11 USA, 1994 BMW 850CSi #31 USA, 1994 BMW 850CSi #58 USA
    93-850Ci - manual 6 speed. 97-850Ci - M73 Steptronic. 94-CSi 125, 95-CSi 162 Daytona Violet, CSi 198 White on Red
    Past E31s:
    1991 BMW 850i. Calypso Red on Beige Nappa and 1995 BMW 840Ci. Bright Red on Beige Nappa
    1997 BMW 840Ci. Black On Black Nappa, but changed to Dakar Yellow on Black Nappa and 1994 BMW 850CSi #27. Red On light Silver.
    1991 BMW 850i. Automatic. Red On Black and 1996 BMW 850Ci. Automatic. Midnight Blue on Gray.
    1994 BMW 850CSi. Black On Blak #107, Black/Black 97-840. White/White CSi. Silver/Silver 97-840

My Cars
    94 Euro BMW 850CSi 892
    PS. You are in Cali. Please join our Socal 8s group.
    Board Member of SoCalEights (Marketing, Web Development & Social Media), Vice President: BMWCCA/E31 Chapter, www.cartiologyfilms.com
    Current E31s:
    1997 BMW 840Ci Black on Beige. CSI 62, 107 and 16. Euro-CSi #892.
    Client Represented E31s (Cartiology Films)
    1994 BMW 850CSi #11 USA, 1994 BMW 850CSi #31 USA, 1994 BMW 850CSi #58 USA
    93-850Ci - manual 6 speed. 97-850Ci - M73 Steptronic. 94-CSi 125, 95-CSi 162 Daytona Violet, CSi 198 White on Red
    Past E31s:
    1991 BMW 850i. Calypso Red on Beige Nappa and 1995 BMW 840Ci. Bright Red on Beige Nappa
    1997 BMW 840Ci. Black On Black Nappa, but changed to Dakar Yellow on Black Nappa and 1994 BMW 850CSi #27. Red On light Silver.
    1991 BMW 850i. Automatic. Red On Black and 1996 BMW 850Ci. Automatic. Midnight Blue on Gray.
    1994 BMW 850CSi. Black On Blak #107, Black/Black 97-840. White/White CSi. Silver/Silver 97-840

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by AJe31 View Post
    Question- Does pass window switch come out of the "bezel" or does bezel pop from door? Or is door panel removal required? I'm afraid prying too much will leave a mark in paint/plastic ...
    The whole bezel comes out as one piece. I would not try and pry it out for the reason you mentioned. If you must, you could probably get away with removing all the bottom and side plastic door clips and the 3 main screws around the grab handle/interior handle and reach in from under the gap to gently pop the bezel up. The wiring should have enough slack.

All else fails, door card removal is probably 5-10 minutes each way, so not bad. I highly recommend using tape around all your tools when working around interior trim.
    Last edited by toomanyparts; 07-25-2017 at 01:07 AM.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Cartio View Post
    PS. You are in Cali. Please join our Socal 8s group.
    More importantly, make sure you become a member of the BMWCCA E31 Chapter of the BMW Car Club of America. We need to get all E31 owners to be part of this organization, because strength in numbers will help with having spare parts available from BMW Classic - but there are many other reasons to do so, especially if you really love the car...

To join the E31 Chapter go to this link: https://myaccount.bmwcca.org/PortalT...EmailCheck.cfm Near the bottom of the page enter your email address and follow instructons. Make sure to chose the E31 Chapter during the application process.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1997 e31
    Thanks Lads..appreciate the replies....

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Cartio View Post

I like your son's name A LOT.
    My son was named after one of the Baldwin boys...hopefully he will become a more noble man than his namesake

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    The whole bezel comes out as one piece. I would not try and pry it out for the reason you mentioned. If you must, you could probably get away with removing all the bottom and side plastic door clips and the 3 main screws around the grab handle/interior handle and reach in from under the gap to gently pop the bezel up. The wiring should have enough slack.

All else fails, door card removal is probably 5-10 minutes each way, so not bad. I highly recommend using tape around all your tools when working around interior trim.
    I was surprised to see what appears to be paint on the interior parts and the softness of the plastics...good suggestions- where is liberal loontown anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    More importantly, make sure you become a member of the BMWCCA E31 Chapter of the BMW Car Club of America. We need to get all E31 owners to be part of this organization, because strength in numbers will help with having spare parts available from BMW Classic - but there are many other reasons to do so, especially if you really love the car...

To join the E31 Chapter go to this link: https://myaccount.bmwcca.org/PortalT...EmailCheck.cfm Near the bottom of the page enter your email address and follow instructons. Make sure to chose the E31 Chapter during the application process.
    Already a member with other cars...great suggestion- thanks

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by AJe31 View Post
    Thanks Lads..appreciate the replies....

My son was named after one of the Baldwin boys...hopefully he will become a more noble man than his namesake

I was surprised to see what appears to be paint on the interior parts and the softness of the plastics...good suggestions- where is liberal loontown anyway?

Already a member with other cars...great suggestion- thanks
    Yes, some sort of soft-touch coating. There is actually a company that specializes in redoing this, but it can be carefully removed without harm.

As far as location, SF Bay Area.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    ... There is actually a company that specializes in redoing this...
    Do you have info on the company that can reapply the soft coating?
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Do you have info on the company that can reapply the soft coating?
    Sorry Stephen - missed your message here. There are actually a couple - have not used either so no recommendation from me (yet).

http://www.stickyrxrs.com

https://stickynomore.com

I've also had good luck with the Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer for black items, but it has a slight grain to it when it goes on (not smooth). The above is more of the permanent solution.