Thread: FS: Auto-Dim rear view mirror, Homelink & Compass

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.

FS: Auto-Dim rear view mirror, Homelink & Compass

Hi Guys:

A few years ago I bought a cobbled-together mirror for my E24, made from an old BMW mount and a modern auto-dimming mirror. It was pretty cool, but poorly-made, so I started experimenting to make my own, and I've made a few extras for sale. I have only used the best parts I could find, and quite honestly, it would be tough to tell one of these mirrors wasn't a factory-original piece once mounted in your E24/E28/E30, etc. Anyway, this one has the Homelink garage door opening feature, and an amber compass display, which matches the BMW gauges and lights quite well. And, as mentioned, it's auto-dimming, which is really great for night driving. Pics:

The spring mount at the top pops into the roof panel, although some effort is required, and there is a 3-wire electrical connection. A ground, switched 12V+, and constant 12V+. In my car I pulled the ground and switched 12V+ from the sunroof motor, and the constant 12V+ from one of the dome lights. I also had to poke a small hole for the wires in the header panel, facing forward near the mirror mount, which isn't visible from inside the car, and the wiring will come in a woven black sheath that looks OEM. Also, I'll provide compass calibration instructions. Price for this particular mirror is $105 shipped insured USPS Priority to any US address.

EDIT: This mirror was just sold on myE28.com, but I can have another identical one built in 2 or 3 days.
    Last edited by dcains; 07-24-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
    '87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    I thought I'd post a few pics of how the wiring for one of these mirrors can be done, and it's not as scary as I thought it was when I bought one of these mirrors a few years ago. The pics sre of my E24, but E28 and 30 are of course very similar.

I poked a hole about the size of my pinkie finger through the header panel, and you can see the wires for the mirror, and the mic for the hands-freee calling on my Kenwwood head unit:

Power and ground can be pulled from the dome light, sunvisor light, sunroof motor, or just run the wiring down the left A-pillar to under the dash. I used the sunroof motor for switched power and ground, with the passenger dome light providing constant power. The mic wiring is run down the A-pillar, than acoss under the dash to the console. I used some expandable plastic sheath to enclose the mirror wires. You can't really see though it, but the camera can, and you can see the butt connectors I used. You'd want to tuck those up into the header panel in your car, but I wanted to show what they look like.
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    BUMP - I've currently got 3 more mirrors ready to ship, at various feature and budget levels.

1) Another one as pictured at the beginning of this thread - Auto-dim, Homelink, an amber compass display $105 shipped in thw US.

2) This one is another Auto-dim, but it doesn't have the Homelink feature, and the compass display is blue-green (as seen below). $80 shipped in the US.

3) Another Auto-dim, No Homelink or compass, but this one has some very nice LED maplights (as seen below) - these are very tough to find. $85 shipped in the US.

Each mirror will include all needed instructions for install and calibration, as well as a beautifully-made custom harness:

-
    Last edited by dcains; 08-06-2017 at 02:08 AM.
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z