Thread: Hagerty vs Grundy...which is better?

My Cars
    1979 635csi 1991 850i

Hagerty vs Grundy...which is better?

I have been with American collector insurance for my 79 635 for a number of years. I just decided to add my 91 850i as it is not a daily driver, and is not driven very much. American Collectors was quite high I thought. I checked with Hagerty and Grundy and I found much better rates, higher values placed on the cars, and no deductibles. My question is...which company is better between the two? Any opinions?

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    Two years ago I switched from Hagerty to Grundy, for the reasons you mentioned - and coincidentally just paid my annual premium today. $308 for $18K agreed value. Never had to file a claim, though, with either company. I also like that Grundy doesn't seem to be as restricted in how I use the car and there isn't a hard mileage limit (as if E24's have working odometers).
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
    '87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    1984 Euro 635
    It's my understanding Grundy may cost a bit less and is less restrictive on your "usage." However, they can be a bit finicky if you have to make a claim. Hagerty seems to have an excellent reputation stepping up for a claim.
    '84 Euro 635
    '88 M6 (Gone but not forgotten)

My Cars
    1979 635csi 1991 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroGeorge View Post
    It's my understanding Grundy may cost a bit less and is less restrictive on your "usage." However, they can be a bit finicky if you have to make a claim. Hagerty seems to have an excellent reputation stepping up for a claim.
    George!!! Where have you been? I thought you were coming to visit. Are you in some witness protection program or something? I hope you are OK.

My Cars
    1988 m6
    I used to have Hagerty, and when M6's started to escalate, I asked to increase my policy from $30,k to $50k, and they say they needed an appraisal. WTF.
    I found this very disconcerting, and I thought it was a stated value policy.
    And I thought I could put any value I wanted, as long as I paid their premium.
    What does Blue Book have to do with this market, is beyond me.

Best,
    Jay
    '88 M6 Cinnabar Red / Nappa Natur Highline Interior (10-87) Santa Ana, California. USA

My NEW Website, Link : https://www.jaysbmwparts.com

Booster repair
    https://www.jaysbmwparts.com

A/C Wingcell Compressor leak repair

e31 Door Handle Fix,

My Cars
    635csi, 325is, 740il
    When I was looking for insurance on mine, Hagerty quoted me twice as much as Grundy for the same coverage amount ($8k since mine is in a restoration state). I didn't see much difference in the limitations of the policies. I have a friend who uses Hagerty, and he claims that their usage is actually less restrictive than Grundy. From what he and I have compared, Hagerty makes more sense if you are insuring more than one vehicle. He has 8 with them currently, and mentioned that there was a decent difference in the premium when he added his 2nd and 3rd cars, but that after that, it worked out to about $30/year for each additional car.

JC Taylor wouldn't even entertain a quote. I think they only consider concours level cars.

Alex

All cars are money pits, it's just that some people love theirs more than others.

The '85

The '83

My Cars
    1979 635csi 1991 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex E24 E30 View Post
    When I was looking for insurance on mine, Hagerty quoted me twice as much as Grundy for the same coverage amount ($8k since mine is in a restoration state). I didn't see much difference in the limitations of the policies. I have a friend who uses Hagerty, and he claims that their usage is actually less restrictive than Grundy. From what he and I have compared, Hagerty makes more sense if you are insuring more than one vehicle. He has 8 with them currently, and mentioned that there was a decent difference in the premium when he added his 2nd and 3rd cars, but that after that, it worked out to about $30/year for each additional car.

JC Taylor wouldn't even entertain a quote. I think they only consider concours level cars.

Alex
    So far...Hagerty $515.00 Grundy $496.00 I explained about 2K miles on 635 and about 5K miles on 850
    These are 0 deduction policies with stated value $12k for 635csi and $18K for 850i
    I based these numbers on the 6 being a euro, original condition including most of the paint, and 160K kilometers, that I have owned since 1983. The 8 is an all original car, including paint, complete service history, that I purchased from original owner. It has 113K kilometers (Canadian car) Both cars are garaged at my house.

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Hey Lin how goes it,

I switched from JC Taylor to Hagerty back in '99 when I had my 56 Buick.

I don't know about Grundy, Hagerty is less restrictive that I know of and I had a claim

when the tree limb fell on the six. Took photos and submitted the $4700 claim and I got paid

the same week. No hassles no nonsense. My six @ $15,000 and my daughters 72 Skylark convertible @ $17,000 no deductible $438.00

Go Hagerty

See ya in the fall.

Bob V

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    I increased coverage on my M6 but based it on the Hagerty valuation tool so I asked for 35K and within an hour, they said yes but then upped my premium by 200.00. Nothing else required.

All told, 86 635 CSI @12K, 88M6@35K, Bavaria @12K, 67 Mustang at 15K----300 deductible etc. I am at around 900 dollars total.

Have to be in Richmond in January, dinner on me.
    Last edited by RSheiman; 07-26-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    1979 635csi 1991 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Linwood Mingis View Post
    I have been with American collector insurance for my 79 635 for a number of years. I just decided to add my 91 850i as it is not a daily driver, and is not driven very much. American Collectors was quite high I thought. I checked with Hagerty and Grundy and I found much better rates, higher values placed on the cars, and no deductibles. My question is...which company is better between the two? Any opinions?
    In the end I decided on Hagery based on opinions of others, plus the fact I could buy it from a local agency. There was only one local that sold Grundy and they would not talk to me unless I gave them all my cars and property insurance in a bundle, otherwise it wasn't worth the trouble to them!! I like the idea of dealing with a local person instead of online...all for the same price. I hope I never have to find out about their claim service!!
    Bob...I heard from Taylor that the gathering of the idiots will be in R.I. this year. That is just too far to go for the weekend with the terrible traffic conditions on 95N. Let me know when you are coming to Richmond to see family, and we will get together then.
    Rob...It will be good to see you. You know you are always welcome to visit the Hermitage House of Horrors when you are in Richmond!!!!

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    Dammit, will have to bring my own whitefish salad.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    1979 635csi 1991 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by RSheiman View Post
    Dammit, will have to bring my own whitefish salad.
    Only if you want...there may be some other treats as well as our whitefish salad. If Ron could work on a gathering of the idiots in the PA. or NY mountains as in the past, I do believe you would get the best group of idiots ever... good central location for everyone. Yes, I will bring some over the top fireworks, if I am allowed to come. My time out of the country in October has been changed, so I am in if a more central place can be found.

My Cars
    1984 633Csi,1988 535IS, 2000MRdastr,1973 914 Porsc

Hagerty vs Grundy

Quote Originally Posted by Linwood Mingis View Post
    Only if you want...there may be some other treats as well as our whitefish salad. If Ron could work on a gathering of the idiots in the PA. or NY mountains as in the past, I do believe you would get the best group of idiots ever... good central location for everyone. Yes, I will bring some over the top fireworks, if I am allowed to come. My time out of the country in October has been changed, so I am in if a more central place can be found.
    About 5 years ago I did a comparison for my BMW CCA Chapter. I have been in the Insurance business for over 40 years. I compared Grundy, Hagerty, American Collectors, State Farms program and a few others. My analysis was that Grundy and Hagerty both were very good value for the money. They both had a very liberal description for use with no actual mileage restriction. At the time I though Grundy was a little more liberal in their description of use and they were slightly less expensive.

I have had Grundy for about 18 years I have only had one claim for a windshield. The claim occurred while I was trying to replace the rear view mirror on my 98 Z3. I called Grundy to ask them if the claim would be covered as I was directly responsible for the break. Without hesitation the claims person said it was covered and they sent a glass company out to replace the windshield that day. I did NOT request BMW glass as a replacement as this windshield had been replaced before with non-BMW glass.

Don't know how they would have responded if I broke the glass on another of my cars with BMW glass and I wanted it replaced with like kind and quality.

My Cars
    00 740i S,08 CRV,95
    I had agreed upon value for a car with State Farm once. Dirt cheap and no appraisal.

My Cars
    '73 ///M2, '85 ///M635
    I have 2 cars on Anpac. 10k miles/yr. allowance. Pretty cheap tho I haven't shopped around.

Oh they do want an appraisal to raise stated value. I wonder what happens if I try enrolling in a different company and raise my stated values...

No claims filed...

http://www.anpac.com/

FWIW,

Ray
    Last edited by rlkrlk; 08-02-2017 at 10:04 PM.

My Cars
    See Sig!
    Quote Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
    I had agreed upon value for a car with State Farm once. Dirt cheap and no appraisal.
    I currently have State Farm and have had it for years. As stated no appraisal, stated value (as long as it's not "stupid high" as to blow off the underwriter), qualifies for multi-car discount with other vehicles in household, full coverage including higher liability limits, glass, roadside and towing, $250.00 deduct comp and collision, yada, yada, yada. My current "classic" Porsche 944 is about $11.50/mo. My '80 635 Euro was about $10.00/month a couple of years back.
    And the claim service is great as I had an issue a few years ago with my VW Westy. The adjuster came out, asked a few questions, did his calculations and we were set...very happy with the amount and quick service!
    Oh, although they have their "restrictions" my agent just says "drive it". When I asked her if I was restricted to just car shows and such she said no. When I asked if I could take a long road trip she said yes. She just cautioned against using it as a daily driver and I'm responsible enough not to abuse the privilege!!!
    Last edited by TJC1; 08-03-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    Tom
    Current Rides:
    1995 318i-Da Kid's Car Now!, Great Little Car "Pearl"
    1987 Porsche 944 "Liebchen"
    2002 Porsche Boxster "Sunbeam"
    2004 X3 "Xander"

Past Rides:
    Over 50 Years Worth..Way Too Many To List, But There Were Some Really Fun Ones!!!
    www.ttrs1.com

My Cars
    E24 M6, E39, F70
    Great thread. With Hagerty and really wasn't aware of Grundy. Idiot Fest in RI? Geeze guys, do you think I'm invited?

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6
    I've tried Hagerty and received quotes from Grundy. Both have very restrictive "use" definitions. ON Hagerty I paid my premium for a $40k stated value on my '87 M6. When I received the policy, they lowered the value to $20k and upped my premium amount that was due. Needless to say, I canceled the policy with them. I ended up using AIG Signature group for my policies. Their rates for my '87 M6 and '98 Dinan M Roadster were a couple hundred more, but zero restrictions on use. I can go to McDonalds for a burger if I want or to Home Depot on the way home without risking "use" concerns. I haven't used them but Liberty Mutual has a interesting policy with a guarantee of replacement of the car with a one year newer and 15k miles lower than your car. But when you have a 60k M6, it might be difficult to find one with lower mileage. But something to look into. Dennis
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe