Thread: Cranking no start

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318i

Cranking no start

I'm new the the BMW world so forgive me if I have not tried something obvious lol. My 92 318 convertible was running and driving "fine" its my daily driver. Only issues I had with it are it is not a fan of idling it has a very rough idle and will stall when you clutch in sometimes when coming to a stop and it won't rev past 4100rpm. Other than that it always started and always got me where I needed to go with no real issues. Was driving home and the exhaust broke off the flange behind the cat, tore off and I ran it over, stopped and put it in the car. Didn't think much of it as I was going to replace it anyways soon. Drove it the rest of the way home parked it and the next morning it would not start. Cranks just fine though. I checked the fuel pump fuse and there is no power to it at all, there is power to the relay so I tried jumping it. Could smell fuel with the relay jumped but I couldn't hear the pump (full tank of gas muffled it maybe?). I tried it again today and it fired on the first crank started up and died in 2 seconds and would not fire again.

The car does have a check engine light on, I was told it was for the evap and the MAF as it has a "cold air kit" when I bought it. Car only has 84k miles so I would like to think its not the crank sensor or cam sensor but anything is possible I guess. I was told by a friend to check the fusible link to the battery but I read that the check engine light would not be on and nothing would work inside the car other than cranking but everything in the car works just fine.

Edit: Thinking of it after if the crank sensor was gone that would kill fuel right? So it shouldn't be that if I got the pump to work by jumping the relay right?
    Last edited by cobrae; 07-24-2017 at 03:51 PM.

My Cars
    87 325is
    A bad CPS will not allow the DME to turn on the fuel pump, and there will be no spark.

Replace it with an OE/OEM part, not a generic.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318i
    Ordered a new sensor. Trying to get the old one out now its a stubborn one. Tried cranking it over just for fun before I started and the car started right up and died and is back to just cranking.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318i
    Kinda kicking a dead horse here since its been a couple months since I updated this post. I did get the new sensor in. Car started up and ran for 10 seconds then dead. The fuel filter was clogged and black inside but the in tank pump locked up also and did not have a sock filter on it. I took the car off the road for now since winter is coming anyways but when I look for a fuel pump it says that convertibles may have two fuel pumps one internal and one in line. I don't have the car with me right now so I can't look its a good hour + away at my parents. Would a 92 318i convertible have two fuel pumps? If so where is the in line one located?