Thread: Need Overall Advice

My Cars
    1988 BMW E30 320i

Need Overall Advice

Hello!
    I recently purchased a BMW E30 320i, and I am overall quite inexperienced with cars. This is my first car, and it does not need much work. It is almost all original parts, and I just want some pointers on what to purchase for the car, or what to alter on the car. I would possibly like to do an engine swap for the car and/or get a performance chip, but I am not sure where to buy chips for the 320i except from eBay. I know eBay is not a trusted website to buy chips from, and I would definitely prefer to stay away from that site. I'd overall like to keep parts I need a lowish cost, but just overall tips would be great.

The car has no accidents, and has quite low km with only 135,000.

The check engine light is on, and I am not quite sure why. If there are any common problems I can check for please tell me!

Thank you!

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Welcome!
    First of all: the timing belt needs to be changed every 90k kms, OR every 5 years. Whichever comes first. Your engine really is toast if it snaps.
    Google for the stomp test, to read the codes that the check engine light is trying to tell you.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    If it's your first car, do not do an engine swap and honestly don't waste any money on power increases. Safety first: fluids, brakes, tires, suspension bushings.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Are you sure it's the "Check Engine" light or simply the "Check" light? The "Check" light is all by itself between the two main gauges while the "Check Engine" (if equipped) will be down with all the other idiot lights. The "Check" light indicates a fault is being shown on the overhead check panel. Also "Check" will show until the brakes have been pressed since the system can't check the brake lights until you do that.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    If it's your first car, do not do an engine swap and honestly don't waste any money on power increases. Safety first: fluids, brakes, tires, suspension bushings.
    I have to agree fully with this advice ..... a lot of money and pita to swap that engine, and I have not found a source for a M20B20 chip for mine, so I would just keep it stock and well maintained ... and enjoy driving it. If this is your first car it is very likely that the car is still faster than you are ... learn to drive safely and do the basic car maintenance.... and then someday make a decision to sink some serious money into something faster or more powerful, if that is still a priority.
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    1988 BMW E30 320i
    Yeah thanks it is only the Check light, and not the check engine. It is in fact the Coolant so I will get some work done on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright awesome thank you!

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    Congrats on your "new" bimmer and welcome to the forum!

With such low km and mostly original shape, once you replace timing belt & water pump and fix coolant issue your next step is to check the tires - they've probably aged out. Each tire has Tire Identification Number that encodes the week & year of manufacture. You may be ok on tires up to 10yo but I'd replace at 6: tire compounds harden over time, losing grip in the process.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...170723142002:s

Now you're sure that you can go, please make sure that you can stop! Brake pad check, fluid condition, and bleeding the lines is next on your list. I'd take it to a shop for this - they can do a power flush and, if dirty, clean the reservoir and replace fluid as needed. They're also more likely to spot wear-item failures like worn grommets, O-rings, etc in the system. And as a new, learn-as-you-go DIY'er, brakes are not what you want to make your first mistake on.

My Cars
    1988 BMW E30 320i
    Alright awesome. The brake pads were recently replaced, and ill be sure to take it to a shop for a check. I know I will need to replace the tires, so i think ill just do some drifting then replace em.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by GraydonW View Post
    i think ill just do some drifting then replace em.

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    Hey... we were all young once. and I bet we all brutalized at least one of our first cars .... (mine was a '66 VW - it was only 5 years old when I got it and only 6 years old when it died ... now I happily drive and care for a 29 year old E30 and a 13 year old X3)
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by my1stE30 View Post
    Hey... we were all young once. and I bet we all brutalized at least one of our first cars .... (mine was a '66 VW - it was only 5 years old when I got it and only 6 years old when it died ... now I happily drive and care for a 29 year old E30 and a 13 year old X3)
    Not all of us, though I agree with the sentiment. My mechanical sympathy runs strong so statements like that bring up vivid images. At least E30s don't fall foul of impromptu drifting by new drivers much...oh, wait.

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    When I picked up my E30 in December, its mismatched 13yo tires were "ideal" for "drifting" - I slid through a few corners and felt pretty pleased with myself.

... but, yeah, I keep my drifting to the virtual tracks of Forza ... not an IRL drifter