Thread: Preparing for a trip

My Cars
    1988 325i

Preparing for a trip

Hi guys. I have a 1988 325i that has a 1990 325i engine swap. Im coming up on a little road trip. Its not super long its more of big hills and high temperatures. I was wondering if you guys recommended doing anything to the vehicle to keep it somewhat reliable on the drive. Please and thanks!
    *im putting in a new timing belt as well

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Make sure your coolant levels are sufficient and that the radiator is in good shape. Maybe do an oil change just to be extra safe too.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    As already mentioned make sure your engine oil and coolant levels are good, check tire air pressure, fill it up with gas and the E30 should be good to go. The car is fun to drive, but as with any 30 year old car the possibility of minor breakdown does exist... so bring along some extra patience and flexibility just in case. And for a little assurance and peace of mind along the way it does not hurt to have your CAA/BCAA membership card just in case you need to retrieve the car off the highway somewhere. As you know, there are long stretches of mountain highways in BC with no services.

Where are you driving to on the trip? I have made a couple of trips a year to Vancouver or the BC Interior over the last six years .... but don't see many E30's on the road any more. I am guilty too as for the last few trips I now tend to leave the E30 at home and take the X3 on the long trips. But my comments on trip preparation apply to the X3 as well.

Safe travels!!
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Check if your spare tire is ok. Also; bring some duct tape and wire.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1988 325i
    Im heading up to Shushwap. Should be a 5 hour drive. Im a pretty young guy (17) so i want to be as safe as i can

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    After a new timing belt, make sure the cooling system is bled properly and that the temperature stays in normal operating range, run it for 30 minutes so that you make sure all the air is bled out. Nothing is worse than to watch your temperature guage rise and rise. How can it be hot in BC? My temp is now is 99, that's getting on the hot side.

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    Try and get some good local miles in after changing the timing belt. Pretty common to do a major maintenance item and have something rattle loose on the new work. I'd bring along the tools needed to re-do it on the road as well.

If you overheat on the road, try to catch it early, stop, and give it time to cool down a bit. Refilling a hot radiator can create a geyser; steam burns from such a mishap can be pretty dangerous.

Shuswap BC sunrise-sunset is 1.5 hr longer than MO this time of year; a lot of heat can build up in that extra time.

My Cars
    E30 325i
    Have a look around the engine bar for cracked rubber belts/hoses etc and anything loose / rubbing / leaking. Also take some tools and a rag with you just incase, it doesn't hurt, avoids being stuck on the side of a road / in a car park and having to buy a bunch of tools you already have at home.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Keep spare fuses and relays somewhere in the car. Is your trunk toolkit complete?