Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Bored Bleedsblue: "budget" minded Brembo BBK

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by jawnswagg3r View Post
    hm. so what are the upgrade options for style 5/style 19/common 17" guys?

the cheap 550i caliper won't fit either?
    I can't speak to the 550i caliper, unfortunately.

I think the smaller 17" option, if you're looking for a multi-piston setup, is the old E31 Brembo option, with a 324mm rotor. M5 or 540i brakes with good consumables and fluid will get you pretty far, though.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    BMWs

I have 334mm under my Rondel 72's, but they're custom wilwood 6 piston.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Greg sorry if I missed it, but F30 calipers bolt up to E34 stuff?
    Yessir they do, its a great upgrade with cost effective consumables.

Hrm maybe we should push the smaller track kit out soon Brent?

Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    I have 334mm under my Rondel 72's, but they're custom wilwood 6 piston.
    Yup nice setup.

I've been happy with my 355x32 6 piston AP setup, in fact we've revised the design to fit under 17" M Systems and will be releasing soon. Then I've got to get to work on our new rear options and 372x34 front!

Sorry to derail your thread Brent!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Hrm maybe we should push the smaller track kit out soon Brent?
    I'm sensing a new thread for 17" and smaller wheel guys!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    87vert & 24V sedan,98 M3
    Anything new here?

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Same here. Any new stuff happening?

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    We're pushing forward on a few additional brake upgrades - I will start new threads today and post to IG.

If you are asking about specific items, just let me know in the meantime!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    BMWs
    IG? That's millennial shit - post on forums!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    We are purely millennial owned and operated, so there ya go

New forum posts did go up here, M5B, and on MyE28 though.

Feel free to use this thread for any and all reference and continued brake experimentation, too.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by E38740iMD View Post
    Bump with some more info

e60 550i front calipers are another bolt on affair with the use of e9x 335i rotors. 5mm spacer and 5mm longer carrier bolts. clears 17'' wheels. the common e34 wheels are undetermined

note: these may not be cool looking like brembos. but the 550i calipers are a dime a dozen. this could be the new budget v8 caliper upgrade. and the e34 540 calipers can now phase out

Happy Labor day
    E60 550i are 348mm brakes. Does it fits under 17" wheels?

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejotaa View Post
    E60 550i are 348mm brakes. Does it fits under 17" wheels?
    Those E9x rotors are also 348mm, so I think some 17s would work.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    92 M5
    Ancient thread bump.
    I've somehow hoarded a bunch of braking options in the past two years and wanted to confirm some things regarding weight/fitment.

Fronts:
    E31 Brembos: Calipers are the lightest of the popular options, but the main downside as I see it are the heavy one-piece rotor. Couldn't the Euro E46 M3 325x28mm floating rotor be paired up with it with some appropriate bolt spacers? Also seen somebody mod the calipers to fit the 348mm E60 rotors (seems overkill though)
    E34 Ate 4-pot: Got a pair of these boat anchors again, couldn't the Euro E39 M5 rotors be modded to fit, provided you drill the necessary holes (those two big centering pins and the offset allen bolt)?

Rears:
    996 calipers + E46 caliper bracket should work, plus the 328x20mm rotors?

Also sitting on the F30 4-pot calipers and rotors, need to just pick one and sell the others.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Woah, this is pre-Angry Ass. I forgot about this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
    Ancient thread bump.
    I've somehow hoarded a bunch of braking options in the past two years and wanted to confirm some things regarding weight/fitment.

Fronts:
    E31 Brembos: Calipers are the lightest of the popular options, but the main downside as I see it are the heavy one-piece rotor. Couldn't the Euro E46 M3 325x28mm floating rotor be paired up with it with some appropriate bolt spacers? Also seen somebody mod the calipers to fit the 348mm E60 rotors (seems overkill though)
    I don't think I've seen anyone try the E46 rotors, but on paper that could be feasible? Although the Euro rotors are quite pricey.

The E60 rotors are even heavier than the 324mm E31 rotors, so no upgrade there in terms of weight.

E34 Ate 4-pot: Got a pair of these boat anchors again, couldn't the Euro E39 M5 rotors be modded to fit, provided you drill the necessary holes (those two big centering pins and the offset allen bolt)?
    I don't see a use for these in 2024 unless you are restoring a mid-1994 or newer Euro M5 that originally came with these. Too heavy and tough to support to make them worth it, IMHO.

Rears:
    996 calipers + E46 caliper bracket should work, plus the 328x20mm rotors?
    Unless you have done some different testing, I don't think this will line up from an offset perspective. I played with E46 M3 rear axle components and the offsets are different. This is not to say you can't space things out, but I get more nervous the more adaptor pieces in different planes you add to brakes... you'd need the adaptor for the radial-mounted calipers and then you'd also have to space out the adaptor itself.

Then most likely you'd have to use E32 750il rotors to retain the handbrake functionality (based on E36s w/ 996 calipers).

Also sitting on the F30 4-pot calipers and rotors, need to just pick one and sell the others.
    There's a reason I gave up on anything else for this setup, the primary disadvantage being it's the least period-correct option. Tough to beat parts availability and cost, plus weight/performance compared to these other options.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    92 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    I don't think I've seen anyone try the E46 rotors, but on paper that could be feasible? Although the Euro rotors are quite pricey.
    $600 is bearable, at least compared to the 95 M5 rotors, which are almost double. The 4-pot ATEs weigh a ton, but the last pair I sold I regretted not putting them on, so still conflicted.

Unless you have done some different testing, I don't think this will line up from an offset perspective. I played with E46 M3 rear axle components and the offsets are different. This is not to say you can't space things out, but I get more nervous the more adaptor pieces in different planes you add to brakes... you'd need the adaptor for the radial-mounted calipers and then you'd also have to space out the adaptor itself.
    Yeah the idea would be E46 adapter for the 996... actually I realized the R33 GT-R has 40mm 2-pot Brembos that would fit my car with the adapters I have on hand, so thinking of waiting to find one that's cheap here in Japan.

There's a reason I gave up on anything else for this setup, the primary disadvantage being it's the least period-correct option. Tough to beat parts availability and cost, plus weight/performance compared to these other options.
    Main downside is after doing more measuring, I might need to file down the caliper a bit to make it fit my 17" wheels. I know they're engineered to have a safety margin for tolerances, but it doesn't sit well with me nonetheless. Are you guys still working on a 325mm 2-pc rotor? Because it'd be great if I can go with that and the E31s.
    Last edited by sugaki; 04-05-2024 at 10:56 AM.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Yep, the 325mm rotor with AP Racing 4 piston caliper is still planned. I'd call it a small wheel-focused kit - that will be it's primary advantage. The 4 piston 325mm kit will also be cheaper, so I suppose that is advantage #2. Due to rotor design, it won't be lighter than the 355mm 6 piston setup (https://angry-ass.com/product-organi...em-competition), which still fits under M Systems and other high-clearance 17" wheels with a small spacer. The 325mm kit should fit under many common E34 17" wheels, like Style 5s/19s/32s etc. And I am hoping BBS RKs, which have notoriously narrow barrels.

The ace in the hole is the 299mm AP Racing 4 piston kit (https://angry-ass.com/product-organi...em-competition), available now. This is targeted at E24/E28s, cars that never got rotors as large as E34 315mm. This kit is insanely light, and I bet would be overkill for almost any E34 in reality. Optically, however, almost everyone prefers a larger rotor, so we are not predicting many E34 customers take that kit, particularly 540i or M5 owners.

You can see how the 325mm 4 piston kit, while still filling a niche for some, has some compromises compared to the other Angry Ass kits. It all depends on your goals.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567