Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bored Bleedsblue: "budget" minded Brembo BBK

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by E38740iMD View Post
    Will it fit behing a 17" wheel or must be 18s and above? It would be good to have an oem bbk to fit behind 17s for the e34 imo
    It will depend on the 17--operative phrase being "BBK-friendly" 17s. M Systems, no problem; Apex ARC-8s, also good.

The primary interference should be caliper face, not diameter, which is easier to fix (through a spacer).
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    '90 535i, '91 M5
    Any guesses on fitment for Style 42 two-piece?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    No worries Demet. The bracket will adapt the 996.351.425/6 Porsche Brembos for use on E34 hubs with the E46 M3 CSL/ZCP 345mm full-floating rotors (2282445446). These rotors are superior to any E34-fitment alternative rotor:
    • Lighter, cheaper and more importantly, North America-available compared to late '94+ E34 M5 345mm floaters
    • Lighter, bigger, and full floating compared to one piece E31 324mm rotors
    • Lighter, still bigger, and full floating compared to E32 750 (338?) rotors

I'm updating the first post with the latest on this kit, as we've made some decisions and will be moving forward with production.
    This is all true - but clearance to calipers is extremely limited due to offset

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    This is all true - but clearance to calipers is extremely limited due to offset
    Use a spacer, or spend the money on our soon to be finished halo option that gives you all the clearance you could ever desire.

AP_Front_1 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

-Greg

My Cars
    BMWs
    Bro I bought an e34 for the offset what are you doing

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Bro I bought an e34 for the offset what are you doing
    I won't lie--I love low offset, too. I hear you there, mon frer
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    The week after my wedding (3/3), Greg and I will be doing serious test-fitting on my 540i with these calipers, custom brackets, and the 345x28mm ZCP/CSL rotors. We will report back with findings, but based on his work with our "halo" AP Racing kit, we aren't too worried about offset at this point.

We are liking this kit more and more. The 996 calipers are much cheaper than the E31 equivalents (and far more prevalent); about as heavy with our lightweight brackets; and feature staggered piston sizes, unlike the E31s. Then of course, the rotor advantage is huge in cooling and unsprung weight savings.

Quote Originally Posted by dschneider View Post
    Any guesses on fitment for Style 42 two-piece?
    I don't think we talked about this via PM, but I think 42s have good clearance for BBKs--similar to M Systems, which will be our primary test wheel.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    e30 e34
    Interested in this for sure. I need to do brakes on my M5 and I'll go this route if it'll clear M systems
    '88 s54 e30, '00 m5

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcbe34 View Post
    Interested in this for sure. I need to do brakes on my M5 and I'll go this route if it'll clear M systems
    That is the goal!

Of note (albeit a bit further down the road), but we will offer a rear set-up as well. Likely not the bling of a 4 piston rear, but a larger rotor with single piston. Still figuring out handbrake options, and this front kit is the priority.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    Alfa Romeo 156 GTA SW
    Very interested in adapters to fit the Porsche breaks front and back! This would be an awesome kit for the money.

My Cars
    '92 BMW 535i/5 Lazurblua
    The week after my wedding (3/3), Greg and I will be doing serious test-fitting on my 540i with these calipers, custom brackets, and the 345x28mm ZCP/CSL rotors. We will report back with findings, but based on his work with our "halo" AP Racing kit, we aren't too worried about offset at this point.

We are liking this kit more and more. The 996 calipers are much cheaper than the E31 equivalents (and far more prevalent); about as heavy with our lightweight brackets; and feature staggered piston sizes, unlike the E31s. Then of course, the rotor advantage is huge in cooling and unsprung weight savings.

I don't think we talked about this via PM, but I think 42s have good clearance for BBKs--similar to M Systems, which will be our primary test wheel.
    Any news yet? I need to upgrade the brakes on my '93 525i and want the best bang for the buck! BBK preferred, but may go the E31 route.

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkanda View Post
    Any news yet? I need to upgrade the brakes on my '93 525i and want the best bang for the buck! BBK preferred, but may go the E31 route.

Are you prescient!? Quite literally this very day, an Angry Ass testfit with protoype mock-up brackets and E46 CSL 345mm front rotors will be occurring. I'll be back in with pictures and details later!

Quote Originally Posted by Kannackas View Post
    Very interested in adapters to fit the Porsche breaks front and back! This would be an awesome kit for the money.
    To be clear, particularly for this budget-friendly kit, we will not be pursuing a rear 4 piston kit at this time. If we did, we would certainly use the matching Porsche calipers; but this kit is about budget-friendly bang for the buck, which does not include a 4 piston rear caliper.

The top priority on the rear axle is a larger OEM rotor (likely the matching rear E46 CSL rotor, a floating 328mm) with a single piston sliding caliper, to maintain pedal feel/bias/handbrake use.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    in for pics
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    ^ I just lost my personal PC and am betwixt computers now; however, we did post some early test-fit photos on Instagram:
    @angry_ass_solutions and also on my car account, @angryassbrentimus

We're encouraged; radially, clearance looks good under the 17" M System. To the spoke, we're currently estimating that a 12-15mm spacer will clear the caliper.

Some will disparage the use of a spacer, and that is their right. However, this kit offers measurable benefits over the E31 set-up and we're still excited for it.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '92 BMW 535i/5 Lazurblua
    ^ I just lost my personal PC and am betwixt computers now; however, we did post some early test-fit photos on Instagram:
    @angry_ass_solutions and also on my car account, @angryassbrentimus

We're encouraged; radially, clearance looks good under the 17" M System. To the spoke, we're currently estimating that a 12-15mm spacer will clear the caliper.

Some will disparage the use of a spacer, and that is their right. However, this kit offers measurable benefits over the E31 set-up and we're still excited for it.
    I don't have Instagram. Any pics here yet, or any that show how they would look?

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkanda View Post
    I don't have Instagram. Any pics here yet, or any that show how they would look?

Let’s see if this works.

Also when we say cheap rotor solution we mean very very cheap OEM BMW M3 comp/csl rotors. Its an awesome setup for those of you who want a cost effective solution using mainly OEM parts.

-Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Well. We weren't quite into production of anything related to this kit, yet, and it's a good thing, because we're dropping it.

The new Angry Ass budget BBK will utilize F30 BMW/Brembos. More details to follow on 340 and 370mm rotor options, but we have a 340mm/4 piston kit in hand for testing. This is confirmed fitment under almost all 17" wheels, and potentially even cheaper than the 996 kit. No bracket required.

Stay tuned!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    87vert & 24V sedan,98 M3
    Anything new here?

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishno87 View Post
    Anything new here?
    The F30 front setup is badass! We haven't finalized exactly what we will offer, other than the requisite bolt spacers--though we can provide new calipers and rotors at very good BMW pricing. We'll focus on the 340mm kit, because we prefer to pair a larger rotor with a better caliper. For these cars, not much sense to us in using the same F30 4 piston with the 370mm rotor.

As a near-bolt-on, the F30 340mm kit should nix any reason to go 996 Brembo, or even E31 Brembo. It's all in the rotor!

The rear is much more interesting and custom. We're designing a new caliper carrier to use a BMW sliding caliper on the rear E34 axle, on a two-piece E46 M CSL/ZCP 328x20mm rotor, which will make retaining the handbrake easy-peasy.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    e34 m5, touring; e46 (x2
    Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out as I am considering a front BBK (and maybe rears) for my e34 m5. Keep up the great work AAS!!!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelhill View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out as I am considering a front BBK (and maybe rears) for my e34 m5. Keep up the great work AAS!!!

We'll still have different strokes for different folks. The F30 kit will be the budget option, it's just very impressive. It's possible to find rotors around 18# each, 340x30, which are two piece. Considering how available they are, it's a good replacement for late '94+ M5 345mm rotors (plus these are lighter); and they are definitely better than E31 324mm one-piece rotors.

Mid-level option will be AP Racing 4 piston with our new aluminum brake hats. These suckers are LIGHT, no matter which diameter we go with.

Top secret sauce option will be the 6 piston racing calipers and 355mm rotors with our brake hats, which Greg is currently testing on his car.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Can i ask here where one might find just stock type/size front e34 540/6 rotors that won't warp in two week?

bought what I thought were Stoptech High Carbon and within a few weeks the front end again was shaking heavily when braking hard on the highway.

new lower control arms and all new tie rods /drag link..

how does one know they are buying a high quality rotor and not something from a knock off factory from some Country that shall remain nameless.

Also I did cryo a set of stoptech slotted rotors that came with the hat painted black.. that seemed to be fine ...until the diff fell out and that car has sat in a field for four years . they're pretty rusty by now.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by jehu View Post
    Can i ask here where one might find just stock type/size front e34 540/6 rotors that won't warp in two week?

bought what I thought were Stoptech High Carbon and within a few weeks the front end again was shaking heavily when braking hard on the highway.

new lower control arms and all new tie rods /drag link..

how does one know they are buying a high quality rotor and not something from a knock off factory from some Country that shall remain nameless.

Also I did cryo a set of stoptech slotted rotors that came with the hat painted black.. that seemed to be fine ...until the diff fell out and that car has sat in a field for four years . they're pretty rusty by now.
    We are big fans of OEM, for various reasons

That said, I have not heard of many issues with Stoptech. If you are concern with knock-offs, the best bet is to limit your purchases to well-known and vetted suppliers, such as Tire Rack, Turner, Bimmerworld, etc. Brembo blanks are typically a safe choice as well, available from those listed suppliers.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    92 M5
    We'll focus on the 340mm kit, because we prefer to pair a larger rotor with a better caliper. For these cars, not much sense to us in using the same F30 4 piston with the 370mm rotor.

The rear is much more interesting and custom. We're designing a new caliper carrier to use a BMW sliding caliper on the rear E34 axle, on a two-piece E46 M CSL/ZCP 328x20mm rotor, which will make retaining the handbrake easy-peasy.
    For the 2-pc 340x30, are you talking about the ECS ones? How's ECS for that manner? I know Stoptech's made in Asia but reputable, dunno about ECS.

For the rear are you pairing the 328x20 with the 2-pot Brembos? Have any idea how it'd shift the brake bias?

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
    For the 2-pc 340x30, are you talking about the ECS ones? How's ECS for that manner? I know Stoptech's made in Asia but reputable, dunno about ECS.

For the rear are you pairing the 328x20 with the 2-pot Brembos? Have any idea how it'd shift the brake bias?
    The ECS rotors are one option. ECS is very guarded about this stuff, so it would be tough to tell.

And no, at least with these cheaper kits, we would much prefer to adapt a sliding caliper (perhaps the E46 M unit) for that rear 328mm rotor. With this set-up, bias would be very close to the vaunted late '94+ E34 M5 balance.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast