Thread: My New to me 750iL wont start issue...Need Help!!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL

My New to me 750iL wont start issue...Need Help!!

Hey everyone,

This will be my first post and sad to say it will be about a issue with my 2001 750iL.

So i purchased the car 3 weeks ago saving it from a totally barbaric man-child who thought he knew what he was doing with modding the car and maintaining it.....Yea that definitely was not the case.

$2800 later (including title transfer and a new tag) I am the proud owner of a 2001 750iL with i think to be Protection Package as the windows on this bad boy are thick! and it comes pretty well equipped **pics shown from what the seller had taken before i bought the car. I have not taken pics yet since i have removed some of the retarded badging he put on** (i copied and pasted from my phone please let me know if it works if not idk how to post the pics)

So you may be saying great deal but depending on the issues i am about to list i may have gotten shafted... the car has the Trifecta Lights on for the ABS for starters and it runs fairly rought with huge sputters and it doesnt have the Umph* a V12 should. Needless to say i know it needs work maintaining and its a project for me. I have already purchased Air Cut Off Valves 13531435611 x2; Fuel Tank Breather Valves 13901433603 to try and eliminate a few of the issues i have read on these cars before but what i am having a issue with now is just very strange.

I drove the car all last week to work with no issues other than what i stated above. Last Friday i go to leave for work and the car is dead. All lights come on the cluster, radio comes on, lights come on, car opened with the remote everything like it was normal. So yesterday i bought my battery from BMW(I work in wholesale parts so we get connections from dealer to dealer so pretty decent price at $115) assuming that this may have been the issue cause i just didnt know how long the previous owner had the battery for. Welp...it didnt do a thing. Car still does not start or run. I searched all over these forums and e38.org and there just isnt much info on 750iL issues.

My questions are, does my second battery under the main battery have anything to do with being able to start the car? Do any of the codes from the scan i did affect my not being able to start the car? Can anyone shed light on some of the codes in the picture?

I would greatly appreciate the help guys, Thank you.

My Cars
    are slow
    Second battery powers the e-cats. If the back windows to down, it's a regular 750iL with double pane.

Reseal your intake gaskets with Reinzosil, the e32 websites have great references for the V12. It could be alt symptoms you're experiencing, replace it with the one from an M62TU but reuse the pulley.
    Last edited by XAlt; 07-21-2017 at 09:33 AM.

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Second bottom batery is responsible for ekat and starter. Regards to your engine light, its best to pull the code and see what it is. This car is no place for guessing game as there is alot that can contribute to the problem, even 1 simple thing that cause the problem, its hard to guess without pulling the code.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL
    Soooooooo very prompt update because i am impatient lol I purchased the starter battery and its ALIVE!!!! $310 LATER! Lol but its ok.

So now onward to begin actually fixing and maintaining this car the correct way i am hoping with no major bumps along the way.

Xalt - thank you for the info! M62 Alt fits on our cars? Any DIY how to's? Or is it literally bolt in and forget it?

Venom - thank you!

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    No that's not true. You need the higher rated output alt. The 99-01 has more electronics to power so they did some modifications to the voltage regulator, pulley size, belt size, idle speed ect to make sure the charging system could keep up.

Avenging Angel: 2001 750iL Sport Schwartz II Metallic, too many upgrades to list here..
    Kirsa: 2000 750iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Born on 11/99. Sold 12/21/13

The Mistress: 1997 744iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Sold 6/7/12. You will be missed Baby..

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    If you need to know the parts needed for your 750iL...or if parts from another e38 7 series (or even another BMW model) works for your application...save the 3 online part databases below to your favorites/bookmarks and learn your way around these sites. Just enter the last 7 digits of your VIN (or select the appropriate info required to send you to the correct diagram for your model/model year/build date).

The site also has a part nbr search feature which allows you to seek/search by part nbr and model application. The part database also is helpful to determine if a part fits based on build date. Sometimes there's a change mid production which can trip up owners if they choose to buy parts generically by sellers saying it fits without regards to those times it may only fit up to a specific build date.

The diagrams also help in determining how things fit together if you need to deconstruct/take a part something (as well as reconstruct parts)...and also there's a QTY (quantity) column which can help with how many hardware items (which are the ENCIRCLED numbers in the diagram) are securing an item. Also with the 11 digit BMW part nbr...it makes it so much more easier to shop for the correct part nbr. You can type "BMW xx xx x xxx xxx" into a google search box and get results of many online vendors/sellers/dealers that are offering the product...or you can add "ebay" or other specific site names to the search string for results specifically to those sites.

Here's the diagram for a 750iL alternator (I used a 1/2001 build date since I don't know your VIN or build date info)...and if you click the link above the diagram...it will take you directly to the part nbr index. If you click on the blue "i" next to the 11 digit part nbr...it will take you to USAGE where you can click to see what other BMW models use the same part:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    If you need to know the parts needed for your 750iL...or if parts from another e38 7 series (or even another BMW model) works for your application...save the 3 online part databases below to your favorites/bookmarks and learn your way around these sites. Just enter the last 7 digits of your VIN (or select the appropriate info required to send you to the correct diagram for your model/model year/build date).

The site also has a part nbr search feature which allows you to seek/search by part nbr and model application. The part database also is helpful to determine if a part fits based on build date. Sometimes there's a change mid production which can trip up owners if they choose to buy parts generically by sellers saying it fits without regards to those times it may only fit up to a specific build date.

The diagrams also help in determining how things fit together if you need to deconstruct/take a part something (as well as reconstruct parts)...and also there's a QTY (quantity) column which can help with how many hardware items (which are the ENCIRCLED numbers in the diagram) are securing an item. Also with the 11 digit BMW part nbr...it makes it so much more easier to shop for the correct part nbr. You can type "BMW xx xx x xxx xxx" into a google search box and get results of many online vendors/sellers/dealers that are offering the product...or you can add "ebay" or other specific site names to the search string for results specifically to those sites.

Here's the diagram for a 750iL alternator (I used a 1/2001 build date since I don't know your VIN or build date info)...and if you click the link above the diagram...it will take you directly to the part nbr index. If you click on the blue "i" next to the 11 digit part nbr...it will take you to USAGE where you can click to see what other BMW models use the same part:

Dude! That was dead on the BT works perfect by the way. So i knew about realoem because my parts department uses them for seeing some of the parts while our body shop is requesting parts but i never knew of the other two. My issue being new to these cars is that i have picked up things here and there by reading whateveryone on these forums is saying but since everyone has a lot of time dealing wih these cars you immediately get lost once they start explaining things they know and then computer part of it as well with those BMW programs i still dont know what half of those abbreviations mean.

I have loved the E38 for a very long time and i want to maximize the flow that some of these ppl on the forum show when they do their builds and i get it, it does take time but i just wish i guess ppl were a bit more detailed because things arent always in black and white as they make them seem.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Protection pkg? Does it not have a sunroof and no rear windows switches in the doors?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Protection pkg? Does it not have a sunroof and no rear windows switches in the doors?
    It does have all that but i call it protection cause the side windows are thick. So i guess an assumption on my behalf only.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRockaV12 View Post

It does have all that but i call it protection cause the side windows are thick. So i guess an assumption on my behalf only.
    Ok yeah those are dual pane windows...

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRockaV12 View Post
    Look at the BMW MFG label on the driver's door jamb. If the nomenclature says 750iLP...then it is an official "protection model". If it says 750iAL...then it is a regular 750iL model with an automatic transmission & you have either the standard double insulated glass or the optional double insulated break resistant glass (but not the more expensive "protection" glass).

You can see what I mean in the image below...note the 740iAL at the top left of the VIN/MFG label on my driver's door jamb.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Everyone thinks their 750 has "protection package" or "bullet proof" glass on craigslist, because of the "thick" looking glass. I see it all the time, I just laugh it off, but on here people deserve to be corrected.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by asianvenom View Post
    Everyone thinks their 750 has "protection package" or "bullet proof" glass on craigslist...but on here people deserve to be corrected.
    That's because we're family...and love you...and don't want you to be looked at with furrowed brows or eye-rolled...or even perhaps snickered at behind your back by those who know better and think you're intentionally passing off your BMW as something it may not be.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    If they say its protection pkg i say let me test it...

https://youtu.be/BxktcHGElr8

https://youtu.be/0LM3zyzP68g
    Last edited by purplecty; 07-24-2017 at 11:25 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL
    Sorry for being ghost gents but im still getting used to the whole forum thing plus this thing never notifies me when something has been posted. You guys are great! Thanks for the info and knowledge. This forum is what made me learn on what to look out for when buying an E38 so im greatful that after a few years i was able to put that knowledge to the test.

I will look into the Vin Tag on the door jam tomorrow but i highly doubt also that i have a LP.

By the way? Were you all able to see the pics i posted? If not how do i do it? Especially using a iphone?