Thread: Key barrel swap

My Cars
    1998 728I E38

Post Key barrel swap

Hi, currently stripping a 728i (1998) with a remote keyfob and all matching barrels.
    to swap this into my other e38, also a 728i (1998) which only has the emergency/none remote keyfob,
    what would i need to swap as well as the barrels to get the remote fob working in the other vehicle,
    or can the remote key just be coded into the ews of the car im putting the barrels into?

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    For the key to start the car, swap the small black chip inside the key.
    The remote to unlock the car can be reprogrammed to any car with a simple procedure.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1998 728I E38
    Quote Originally Posted by psjr View Post
    For the key to start the car, swap the small black chip inside the key.
    The remote to unlock the car can be reprogrammed to any car with a simple procedure.
    do the none remote keys have a black chip inside them bud? sorry if i sound daft haha.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by SNORLIS View Post
    do the none remote keys have a black chip inside them bud? sorry if i sound daft haha.
    Yes ... ALL keys (remote & non remote) have a transponder/chip inside them. This has been in affect since Jan/1995 when EWS II debuted. Take note of the small gray rectangle drawn into the illustrated head of each key below:

But God help the next owner of the car that needs a new key and they have no clue that the lock barrels have been changed and no longer match the car's VIN (let alone know what the original matching VIN is for the lock barrels that were replaced). They will go to the local BMW dealership to order a new or additional keys...and when they arrive and have been paid for...they won't work in any of the lock barrels you replaced. You're creating a FrankenBimmer nightmare for the next person if they ever need a new key.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-21-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    If it were me, I would just put the original key and the one with the key fob on the same key ring. Program the fob to handle the locks and continue to use the single key for the ignition.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Ditto the Mayor's suggestion. ^^^^

You can program a used remote key to lock/unlock and arm/disarm your FZV & DWA systems by using your original non-remote key to initiate the 1st step in remote key programming (STEPS 1-3). Then when instructed to start pressing the buttons...you do this with your used remote key.

This will initiate any BMW remote key that transmits the same RF (radio frequency) of 315 MHz (this is what the US market BMW remote keys use) to communicate with your GM to lock/unlock & arm/disarm FZV (central locking) & DWA (anti-theft alarm siren) systems. The remote WILL NOT start the car...but it can lock & arm the car remotely.

Below are the directions for initializing remote keys. And YES...you must follow the instructions as written...don't fudge or change anything. All doors MUST be closed...all doors MUST be unlocked...turn ignition to KL R (ignition position 1...not position 2):

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    1998 728I E38
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Yes ... ALL keys (remote & non remote) have a transponder/chip inside them. This has been in affect since Jan/1995 when EWS II debuted. Take note of the small gray rectangle drawn into the illustrated head of each key below:

But God help the next owner of the car that needs a new key and they have no clue that the lock barrels have been changed and no longer match the car's VIN (let alone know what the original matching VIN is for the lock barrels that were replaced). They will go to the local BMW dealership to order a new or additional keys...and when they arrive and have been paid for...they won't work in any of the lock barrels you replaced. You're creating a FrankenBimmer nightmare for the next person if they ever need a new key.
    the barrels have already been changed in the car as it is so its not an issue for me at all. doubt the car will be up for sale any time soon, more likely end up being broken for parts if i do come to parting with it.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

My Cars
    95 740i, 89 735i,
    Ditto the Mayor's suggestion. ^^^^

You can program a used remote key to lock/unlock and arm/disarm your FZV & DWA systems by using your original non-remote key to initiate the 1st step in remote key programming (STEPS 1-3). Then when instructed to start pressing the buttons...you do this with your used remote key.

This will initiate any BMW remote key that transmits the same RF (radio frequency) of 315 MHz (this is what the US market BMW remote keys use) to communicate with your GM to lock/unlock & arm/disarm FZV (central locking) & DWA (anti-theft alarm siren) systems. The remote WILL NOT start the car...but it can lock & arm the car remotely.

Below are the directions for initializing remote keys. And YES...you must follow the instructions as written...don't fudge or change anything. All doors MUST be closed...all doors MUST be unlocked...turn ignition to KL R (ignition position 1...not position 2):
    Is this possible with any BMW keyless remote? (Programming any BMW remote with your locks)

?? ?? ????? ??????

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by ibumpers View Post
    Is this possible with any BMW keyless remote? (Programming any BMW remote with your locks)

?? ?? ????? ??????
    No...not any BMW keyless remote...but yes if the remote uses the same frequency and operated the keyless entry systems used during the generation that your BMW was manufactured in. That would mean, a remote from an e38/e39/e52/e46/e53...these are the generational cousins that used the same communciation bus and other systems that are compatible.

A remote from a different generation that operates over an entirely different bus system probably won't work...if it did...I'm sure it would be a huge discussion on old BMW forums...the "look what I can do" threads would be everywhere. (lol)

These are the remote keys that can be programmed to your BMWs FZV/DWA even though the key blade doesn't fit. But the other caveat is...the new style remotes (w/color Roundel) are powered by a rechargeable battery that is kept charged when its inserted into the ignition. If the key blade doesn't fit your ignition, then the battery doesn't get charged...thus the remote buttons won't work. You will need to find a way to keep that type of key charged if you want to use it as a remote only. The old style keys don't have this issue because it uses a replaceable battery.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-25-2017 at 10:38 AM.

My Cars
    95 740i, 89 735i,

No...not any BMW keyless remote...but yes if the remote uses the same frequency and operated the keyless entry systems used during the generation that your BMW was manufactured in. That would mean, a remote from an e38/e39/e52/e46/e53...these are the generational cousins that used the same communciation bus and other systems that are compatible.

A remote from a different generation that operates over an entirely different bus system probably won't work...if it did...I'm sure it would be a huge discussion on old BMW forums...the "look what I can do" threads would be everywhere. (lol)

These are the remote keys that can be programmed to your BMWs FZV/DWA even though the key blade doesn't fit. But the other caveat is...the new style remotes (w/color Roundel) are powered by a rechargeable battery that is kept charged when its inserted into the ignition. If the key blade doesn't fit your ignition, then the battery doesn't get charged...thus the remote buttons won't work. You will need to find a way to keep that type of key charged if you want to use it as a remote only. The old style keys don't have this issue because it uses a replaceable battery.
    Ok I thought I would be able to get a newer model remote & just program it to my 1995 740i

ForumRunner_20170725_140807.png

ForumRunner_20170725_140816.png

?? ?? ????? ??????

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The new generation BMW communication bus (LIN/BSD/MOST/ P-Can/K-Can/etc)...will not communicate with the old generation communication bus and modules you have on your 95? Plus again, most of those new style keys have a rechargeable battery (some don't) and are charged through induction from the CAS (car access module) which the 95-2001 e38 DOES NOT HAVE.

Not saying that it can't be done...it just won't be simple.

Your remote key info is sent from the key, to the aerial built into the rear windshield...then onto amps in the C-Pillar which then end up at the GM. From their the GM sends commands to FZV to lock/unlock the vehicle and to DWA to arm/disarm the alarm siren:

To use remotes from new gen BMWs that have a more sophisticated/complex bus system...you would need to install some facilitating module to interpret the data commands so that your car could understand them. And the CAS system also uses multiple "aerials" and a 125 KHz radio frequency for its "comfort access" features. Again, our old generation BMWs don't have a CAS module (we have a GM or GMIII).

Here's some BMW info about the new generation BMW's CAS module which may help show how more complicated it is versus the FZV/DWA systems used during the e38/e39/e46/e53 generation BMWs:

{new gen BMW communication BUS}

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-26-2017 at 06:05 PM.