RM European Auto Parts

Thread: N52 Extreme Oil Consumption

My Cars
    2006 e90 330xi

N52 Extreme Oil Consumption

Guys,

I have a 2006 e90 330xi. It's the N52 motor.

In a 5,000 mi. period, my car consumed 2 qts. of oil. Is this normal?
    There are no oil leaks under the car that I can see.

I used Castrol Full Synthetic Oil...5w 30.

My last oil change I put the 7 qts. of oil. During that 5,000 mile period I had to add an additional 2 qts.

Last night I changed the oil again and put the recommended 7 qts. of oil.
    I will watch behavior and will measure what I put in as well as what I drain next oil change.

Is this oil burning/consumption normal? To me, it seems a little steep.

What could be causing such high oil consumption? My independent mechanic told me the Crankcase Ventilation Valve? He suggested he replaces it.

Thoughts??

- - - Updated - - -

The vehicle currently has 115,000 miles.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Faulty or clogged CCV system is a known cause of excessive oil consumption.
    Replace the valve plus the 4 hoses included in a replacement CCV system kit.
    Here is the total kit:https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...11617531423kt1

My Cars
    2006 e90 330xi
    Yikes! Pretty pricey. Thank you! Definitely on my list of things to do.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    True, but it's needed, consider lifetime warranty+free shipping I believe.
    You did buy a BMW after all! Remember the saying-You wanna play,You gotta pay!

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    One quart per 2,500 miles is within reason. Yeah, it'd be great if it were less but what you have happening would be considered 'normal'.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Holy crap! And I thought that the $85 CCV kit on the E46 was expensive!!!

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Holy crap! And I thought that the $85 CCV kit on the E46 was expensive!!!
    The cost of that kit would cover enough 'extra quarts' for 96,000 miles.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    99 M3
    Keep in mind my S52 uses a little over 1 quart per 1000 miles…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The N52 CCV kit has HEATERS, which explains the additional cost.

Here's the BMW Service Bulletin on oil consumption. You'll note that BMW says it's okay for the engine to consume 1 quart every 750 miles.....unless it's an "M" engine, in which case it can consume 2.5 quarts every 1000 miles !!!!!

Engine - Engine Oil Consumption

SI B11 03 13
    Engine

August 2013
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B11 03 13dated May 2013.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision
    SUBJECT
    Engine Oil Consumption

MODEL
    All

INFORMATION
    All engines normally consume a certain amount of engine oil. This is necessary in order to properly lubricate the cylinder walls, pistons, piston rings, valves and turbocharger(s), if equipped.

[NEW] In addition, engines with less than 6,000 miles will generally consume additional engine oil because the internal engine components are not fully seated (break-in). Therefore engine oil consumption analysis should be performed after this break in period.

Once a new or remanufactured engine has accumulated 6,000 miles, oil consumption can be considered if there is a drastic change in the engine oil consumption rate (e.g., the engine oil consumption rate triples) under similar driving conditions.

Engines equipped with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than normally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged). The additional oil that is consumed in a turbocharged engine is mainly due to the turbocharger lubrication requirements. Some of the engine oil normally migrates past the turbocharger turbine bearing seals and will enter the intake tract of the engine. All turbocharged engines also require a complex crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase ventilation system needs to maintain a small vacuum on the crankcase and not allow the crankcase to be pressurized.

Pressurizing the engine crankcase can lead to external engine oil leaks and increased engine oil consumption via the piston rings and valve seals. When the load and the boost level of a turbocharged engine is varied, the path of the crankcase pressure is changed. During the crankcase ventilation path transition, a small amount of engine oil will pass through the crankcase ventilation system and is additionally consumed. The additional engine oil consumption of a turbocharged engine, as compared to a normally aspirated engine, is normal and not a defect.
    OIL CONSUMPTION SPECIFICATION
    All BMW engines (excluding Motorsport) can consume up to 1 quart of engine oil per 750 miles at any time.

Due to the increased engine power, all Motorsport engines can consume up to 2.5 quarts of engine oil per 1,000 miles at any time.
    DIAGNOSTIC HINTS
    When an oil consumption complaint is received, it may be possible to correct it without performing extensive engine repairs. Check the following frequent causes of excessive oil consumption prior to undertaking any engine consumption analysis or repairs. Submit a PuMA case for assistance.

Proper Maintenance

Has the vehicle received proper maintenance? Certain external conditions (mainly city driving style and/or high engine loads; poor fuel quality; and extreme ambient temperatures), combined with excessively long oil service intervals, may accelerate engine oil degradation, which may cause premature wear of the engine components. Continuous city driving (stop-and-go traffic); fuels with high olefin content; sulfur and certain aromatic fractions; and very high ambient temperatures are the most influential factors causing premature oil aging and consecutive engine mechanical deterioration.

External Leakage

The engine should be leak-free before starting any engine oil consumption analysis.

Overfilling

If the oil level is too high, oil in the crankcase will be thrown against the cylinder walls and consumed. Check the dipstick markings or electronic measurement (as equipped) to be sure of accuracy. The oil level must not be higher than the upper mark.

Engine Oil Viscosity/Quality

The use of oil with the wrong viscosity rating for operating conditions can cause high oil consumption. Check the Owner's Manual to determine the proper viscosity for prevailing conditions.

Engine Speed and Load

If vehicle operating conditions are severe, oil consumption will be higher than normal. Extreme load or continuous high engine speed will result in increased oil consumption.

Crankcase Ventilation

The crankcase ventilation systems use various different crankcase ventilation valves, depending on the engine type. Although the valves all look different, they function similarly, using a spring and diaphragm assembly to control the crankcase pressure. A properly functioning pressure control valve is designed to maintain a slight vacuum (under-pressure) in the crankcase, which assures reliable crankcase venting during all engine operating conditions. One of the results of a malfunctioning crankcase ventilation system can be increased engine oil consumption. Refer to SI B11 03 08 for measuring specifications and procedures.

Turbocharged Engines

Engines that are fitted with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than naturally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged engines). In this case, a turbocharged engine could require topping of engine oil more frequently. For vehicles with N63 and N63T engines, refer to SI B11 01 13 for additional details.
    [NEW] N63, N63T AND N74 CUSTOMER INFORMATION
    Provide the attached brochure to the customer when up topping the engine oil:

B110313_Oil_Consumption_Customer_Brochure_07_19_20 13
    WARRANTY INFORMATION
    Not applicable.

ATTACHMENTS

View PDF attachment B110313_Oil_Consumption_Customer_Brochure_07_19_20 13.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    And I thought the M54 CCV kit was rediculous...
    Wonder if I could retro-fit the M52 valve with M54 hoses, or my own hoses...?
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 07-25-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Oil catch can is the route I went. The engine, an M54B30, doesn't burn any oil.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Oil catch can is the route I went. The engine, an M54B30, doesn't burn any oil.
    Do you have any details, pictures, and specific catch can you used on this?
    Thanks!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    The n52 is known to have bad piston rings. I tried to revive my low mileage (100k) engine that was burning oil at 1L/1000kms all the way down to 1L/300kms. I tried everything (seafoam soak, oil stop, engine flushes etc) I eventually ended up rebuilding the engine and created some DIY tutorials if you're interested. I would start here and check everything first! https://youtu.be/-tJ7utqWZQY