Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 yrs of driving......20 mins of headlamp love

18 yrs of driving......20 mins of headlamp love

99 coupe....over 230k.......several hard NY winters.......highway flying debris.....

my headlamp covers were really needing some TLC.

I had m105 ( used an orange lake pad) and m205( used a white pad) in the garage......and I have a PC DA buffer....

so 20 mins all in.... 2 passes of 105 on each and 1 pass of 205.....

I know I coulda sanded as well before the 105/205......but its not that impt to me so I skipped that.......

I wonder if specific hdlmp products woulda worked better...?

like 85% better.........good enough for now....this pic, not great to show you, but its the drvrs side only done....... I should now use sort of a sealant for it all to last longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 07-20-2017 at 01:53 PM.

another pic...pass side before.

and drvr side after......

pics kinda suck ...sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 07-20-2017 at 01:57 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    I'll let you evaluate whether my results were better/worse than yours. I used the 3M headlight sanding/polishing kit, and 3M's drill attachment.

IMG_1553[1].jpg

IMG_1554[1].jpg

IMG_1555[1].jpg

IMG_1556[1].jpg

I might say yours seems a wee bit better........

but I really did a qwik job......and my headlamp covers are really scarred up..yours look a bit better.....

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    I might say yours seems a wee bit better........

but I really did a qwik job......and my headlamp covers are really scarred up..yours look a bit better.....
    Sufficiently better to justify buying the kit, waiting for the kit to arrive, then finding motivation again to use the kit? Probs not.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    I have been thinking it would be nice to add a clear protective film to the headlights after such a repair.

I don't know if this is true or not. But from what I understand the headlights originally have a UV protective coating on them. And once that's gone they will keep getting cloudy after.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Yup, happened to my old Subaru. Sanded and polished the headlights which were cloudy (but still better than before) within 6 months.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    I have seen some guys spray them with clear coat.

I was thinking of using a 3m protective film.

My Cars
    1996 Z3 E36(7) M44
    Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    I have seen some guys spray them with clear coat.

I was thinking of using a 3m protective film.

My head light covers and fog lights need some attention. I picked up a Laminix film kit last month when it was on sale at ECS. I understand it protects against chips. Do you still need to use a UV protection?

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    My headlights were yellow and ugly on my coupe. Bought and used the 3M kit yesterday evening and I'm pretty satisfied with the results.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Sufficiently better to justify buying the kit, waiting for the kit to arrive, then finding motivation again to use the kit? Probs not.

prob not...lol

- - - Updated - - -

I have been thinking it would be nice to add a clear protective film to the headlights after such a repair.

I don't know if this is true or not. But from what I understand the headlights originally have a UV protective coating on them. And once that's gone they will keep getting cloudy after.

from what Ive read, yes...this will need to be done over and over........and over, during ownership...

Im good w / it.....shes worth it
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 07-21-2017 at 10:47 AM.

just looked, had no idea the 3m kit was so cheap..like 11, 12 bux?...

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    I've had something like the 3m kit on my headlights since the car was relatively new. The plastic sheeting is a little scarred and stained after 15 or so years but still clear and I assume the plastic headlights underneath are pristine. If you're going to trouble of refinishing the plastic lenses, protect your investment with something that will last. Ans as Joel found out the kits are cheap insurance.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    I've had something like the 3m kit on my headlights since the car was relatively new. The plastic sheeting is a little scarred and stained after 15 or so years but still clear and I assume the plastic headlights underneath are pristine. If you're going to trouble of refinishing the plastic lenses, protect your investment with something that will last. Ans as Joel found out the kits are cheap insurance.
    I think he means the 3M headlight restoration kit which comes with goo and abrasive discs, but no covers for that price.

I

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    While the early ones did not, the last time I got the 3M kit it came with some UV protectant sealer. Only time will tell if it does anything.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    You can get a roll of clear (or tinted) vinyl on ever popular ebay for $5.36 http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-48-Clea...-/371882317401

Our headlights are relatively flat, no wart bumps or funky curves so cutting your own would be as hard as polishing the lenses.

But if you must buy a kit Lamin-x has precuts for $40.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I've used the 3M sanding kit on other cars before. As long as the protectant is applied every few months, they seem to stay clear.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    sealing with a UV stable sealant after polishing is a must...

the will be dull again within months.

I've tried most of the kits out there, including the pro kits. All generally polish well, but the kit with a sealant that actually works is the WipeNew kit.

sold everywhere for about $10

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

i have a fleet of 6 cars i keep on the road and this is the best i've found that stays clear and after a year or two, can be polished and sealed again.

I am aware that 3M makes a UV stable clear coat that may work, but haven't had time to purchase and test yet.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    I have the 3M kit got it on amazon. Cheap and super easy to use. I did my head lights the day after I bought my M. I had some funky fogging on my gauge cluster also I used the kit on that as well and it turned out great.

My Cars
    z3

Either clearcoat them or don't do anything, clear protective film will not prevent oxidation. What it will do is bake onto the headlight from the heat of the bulbs, making the next time you polish your headlights a whole-day job as you scrape off the adhesive and cracked protection film. Clearcoat works beacause it fills in all the micro-scratches in the lens and forms a hard, UV-resistant layer that helps against chips and oxidation. Use a good clearcoat though, otherwise it'll crack where the bulb shines through it...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Chariot
    Wet sanding from 600 to 3000 grit and applying a urethane clear thinned w/ OMS will yield the best results and hold up for years with periodic maintenance. Well worth the effort.

Some before and afters from a few years back, Link

after reading and viewing on YT, I just bought 2500 and 3500 wet paper.......Ill do that and then clearcoat.

after reading and viewing on YT, I just bought 2500 and 3500 wet paper.......Ill do that and then clearcoat.

btw, euro: no pics?.

and what is oms?

My Cars
    Chariot
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post

btw, euro: no pics?.

and what is oms?
    Check the link now.

Odorless mineral spirits. The OMS is used to dilute the clear (1:1), which in my case was Helmsman spar urethane with UV protection.

link now gud.....looks good too

but y dilute?......

y not just used a proper uv clear coat spray easily found?... y add this extra step?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast