Thread: AC help!!!!/ intro

My Cars
    E36 328i

AC help!!!!/ intro

Long story short, ive been trolling this forum for a bit now as im trying to fix all the issues with this 328i i bought about 2 years ago. Work has me traveling a lot so i work on it when i can. The car runs and drives great but the AC has stopped working and i live in texas and refuse to drive it before i fix the AC.
    The AC compressor clutch isnt engaging and the aux fan wont turn on.
    Things ive done diagnoses wise are;
    1. Checked all fuses having to do with heating and cooling. They're all fine
    2. Tested compressor, high speed, low speed relays. They all still work.
    3. Pulled power connector from AC compressor and back probed it. Not getting any voltage.
    4. Pulled the aux fan switch from radiator and back probed it. Im getting 12v.
    5. Jumped aux fan switch. No fan movement.
    6. Jumped aux fan switch and back probed AC compressor switch. No voltage.
    7. Back probed power connector on bottom of the aux fan. No voltage.

So im at a standstill of what could be the problem, any info or help would be extremely helpful, ive googled the shit out of it and watched all the youtube videos on this hoping one would solve my problem only to be disappointed. Im also no AC expert just trying to no have to pay for my project car to me fixed.
    Thank you.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Have you checked the system pressure? Sounds like you have a leak and there isn't enough pressure to engage the compressor.
    CBlock

My Cars
    E36 328i
    I dont have the proper equipment to be able to check pressure without the compressor clutch engaging unfortunately.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Regaurdless of pressurr, shpuldnt i be getting voltage at the compressor?

My Cars
    1999 323i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Philspils View Post
    Regaurdless of pressurr, shpuldnt i be getting voltage at the compressor?
    Nope. If pressure is too low, or too high, there will be zero voltage to the compressor. You really can't do much diagnosis on A/C without a set of gauges. HF has them for $49. You can test for pressure without the clutch engaged.

My Cars
    96 328i, 92 318i
    You can rent an a/c gauge set from O'reilly for around 100 bucks, when you're done with it return it for a full refund.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Sorry, been unable to check this thread lately and havent had time to work on the car. Can a bad compressor cause a high pressure problem on the low pressure line?

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Quote Originally Posted by Philspils View Post
    Sorry, been unable to check this thread lately and havent had time to work on the car. Can a bad compressor cause a high pressure problem on the low pressure line?
    It's tough to say whats going on without knowing both suction and discharge side pressures but to answer your question simply, and assuming you only have a low pressure gauge from a can, a compressor that no longer compresses (internal compressor failure) may not cause a drop in pressure on the low side, making it seem as though the low side is too high (around 75-95psi probably). Really need to know what the pressures are of the static system, and then both sides once the compressor engages.

My initial thoughts of your problem is either you are low on refrigerant, or you have a bad pressure switch.