Thread: 1996 740 IL - Right Rear Ashtray Replacement

My Cars
    1996 740IL

1996 740 IL - Right Rear Ashtray Replacement

I was out on the BMW TIS website, but just wanted to get anyone's tips and experiences before beginning. My rear passenger side ashtray in the door is broken, so I picked up a good used one on E-Bay. Dumb question, does the door panel need to come off in order to replace it? It looks like it has 4 mounting holes as part of the mounting bracket, but it doesn't look like there is a way to remove the old one. The door panel seems to be pretty straight forward to remove, hopefully without breaking too many of the little plastic clips, although I think I still have one of those tools to help facilitate the removal without actually destroying them in the process. Any tips are appreciated.

Regards, Chris.
    2008 760Li E66 Production Date - 06/08

tmaxx445 is offline E38 6 Speed Club Member! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    Door panel one has to come off for sure. If you are careful usually you can get it off without damaging the clips but I usually replace them unless I know them to be less than 8 years old or so. Just keeps things tighter and rattle free I have found. They are pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 740i / S62 Swap / 6 Speed Swap / Titanium Silver Metallic / Grey Montana Leather / M Sport / Convenience Pkg / Heated Seats / PDC / MKIV Navigation / DSP / Bluetooth TCU / Dice Mediabridge / Vavona Trim / Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Cat Delete / SAI Delete / Euro Tune / Koni Singles / H&R II Springs / Custom 3.15 25% Limited Slip Diff / Staggered OE M Parallels / 275 & 245 Firehawks / Euro City Lights / Celis Tail Lights / SunTek 70% CXP Tint

2005 M3 Coupe
    / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium Pkg / Cold Weather Pkg / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / MKIV Navigation / Harman Kardon / Bluetooth / Sirius XM / Aux In / Carbon Trim / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / StreamLine Intake / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Exhaust Bypass Valve / P0lar Tune / Koni Yellows / Eibach Springs / Staggered OE CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / Angel Eyes / CF CSL Splitters / SunTek 38% Carbon Tint

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    The ashtray screws into the door panel with some Philips screws.
    So yes, you need to remove the door panel, but that's all there is to it.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Did mine recently, door had to come off but it was easy.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Did mine recently, door had to come off but it was easy.

Did you have to remove all of the clips to raise the door panel up and off, or does it slide downward once you remove the clips? Just wondering if I can remove enough of the clips to carefully bend the door panel out to get in there to access the mounting screws.

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    By the time you've pulled it off the door, it is ready to come off anyway. Hard to get a screwdriver in there otherwise. Just have to unclip the electrical connectors.

If you have the small rear window screens installed, they have to come out too. But you have to do this either way, if you try to just pry the door panels out of the way from the bottom without removing the screen, you run the risk of breaking the plastic clips for it.

I debated shortcuts, but here it's best to do it the proper way, otherwise you'll risk breaking things and kick yourself afterwards. It's a 30 minute job, tops. Do it right

My Cars
    1996 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    By the time you've pulled it off the door, it is ready to come off anyway. Hard to get a screwdriver in there otherwise. Just have to unclip the electrical connectors.

If you have the small rear window screens installed, they have to come out too. But you have to do this either way, if you try to just pry the door panels out of the way from the bottom without removing the screen, you run the risk of breaking the plastic clips for it.

I debated shortcuts, but here it's best to do it the proper way, otherwise you'll risk breaking things and kick yourself afterwards. It's a 30 minute job, tops. Do it right

I don't have any rear screens, so it should be a pretty easy job. I printed out the procedure from the TIS.info website, and it seems pretty straight-forward, although there is no substitute for real world experience.

My Cars
    750iL; 330Ci cab; 5GT
    Models fitted with a rear quarter blind must have the blind cover removed first. There is a single screw hidden under this at the bottom that retains bracket, that in turn is rivetted to the door card to prevent flexing. The card should be removed by pulling the door shut handle sharply towards you to release 2 clips first, then pull the card out of the top edge clips, up and out from under the silver trim strip. If necessary recover the black plastic rings that form part of the clip arrangement, and replace these in the metal cut outs fixed to the card.

Now remove the trim strip, by prising it free from the barbed clips. This allows you to see that the turned over edge of the card goes into the correct part of the clip, before snapping the card back on over those 2 lower clips. Finally press the silver trim back, listening for the clicks as it snaps home
    Last edited by chrisn7; 07-21-2017 at 08:04 AM.