Thread: Convertible Top Issue

My Cars
    '01 Z3, '14 CX-5

Question Convertible Top Issue

Finally, after 16+ years and 83,000 miles, something went wrong with my 01 Z3

Last night, as I was putting the top up, there was a loud clunk and the top. which was raised foot or two fell back into the well. The motor still whirred but was not catching anything. I put the top up by hand and there was no resistance like it wasn't attached to anything. When I tried again, there was no response from the motor

So it was either the motor itself or some attachment thingee that went.

Anyone know what this might be?

I have no DIY skills so I need to take it somewhere. Would a regular mechanic take care of this or should I go to the dealer?

Also, would it hurt to take the top up and down by hand?

1,000 thanks in advance for any help, advice or even some commiseration.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    The hydraulic ram that lifts the top is located on the driver side, near where the top hinges to the body. You will probably need to take the trim piece out to see it or maybe shine a light through the trim. There are photos of this in my soft top replacement guide (link in my signature). If there was a clunk and it fell, the ram attachment probably failed where it attaches to the top frame. Any other failure mode that I can think of would be described differently.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    You can put it up and down by hand no issues.

My Cars
    '01 Z3, '14 CX-5
    Thanks guys

Except that my head is still spinning from going through the convertible top replacement guide

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    ^^ It looks more daunting than it really is. I'm halfway through the process (more than half i guess. Just finished cleaning up as much of the goop as i could) and it wasn't near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Once you're reading while looking at the car, it becomes crystal clear. Except for the rivets i drilled out but wasn't supposed to...that was easily fixable though.

your situation won't require as much work i imagine as a full top replacement.
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Anyone else surprised that such a small top is motorized? Too me it's just one more thing that can go wrong. I'm shopping and all the ones I've come across are electric--were any of them manual only?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    Anyone else surprised that such a small top is motorized? Too me it's just one more thing that can go wrong. I'm shopping and all the ones I've come across are electric--were any of them manual only?
    A large number were manual top operated, including mine. I removed the gas strut when I redid my top and headliner, and I can get my top up or down in less than 10 seconds from the driver seat. You couldn't pay me to have an electric top.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    I agree with Vinci, sounds like a connection failed somewhere. Here is a simple to follow PDF to remove the cylinder. https://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/bmwz3removalguide.pdf Hope it helps

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    You can retrofit the electric versions to a manual-assist as well.

When my hydraulic ram developed a leak, I disconnected it and used my top full-manual (no piston assist) for a while. I found it to be more convenient in some regards. The assist piston would probably be even better.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Mine is manual with no piston. The piston is there, but is completely separated. I plan on leaving it that way.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudbutter View Post
    Thanks guys

Except that my head is still spinning from going through the convertible top replacement guide
    No reason to expect you'll have to replace the convertible top...

Most likely the hydraulic strut failed. It is located behind the driver's seat towards the outside of the car under the carpet. If it failed it may be leaking hydraulic fluid into the cabin which you will probably want to clean up. Check the fluid level in the motor in the trunk, if its low I bet the strut is leaking. Could have also been something as simple as a fuse popping thus cutting power to the motor. Pretty sure that fuse is located near the motor itself but don't hold me to that...

I love the Z3 power tops. I used to have an E36 convertible with the full power top and that thing was a money pit. Microswitch after microswitch, all kinds of different lines. THAT is a very complicated convertible top.

The Z3 system is refreshingly simple. There is one moving part, two if you count the motor. If you want to convert your power top to manual, it's only a T-handle turn away...
    Can't imagine a better power operated top system personally. It's also pretty lightweight due to it's simplicity so that's another plus.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    When I bought my Z3M, the power top did not work. My previous Z3 had no power top, so I was used to it. I simply unhooked the piston from the top, and like another poster here, just put it up and down from the driver's seat. It's just too easy to do, so why bother to fix it?

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    I have my top converted to manual, courtesy of an HMS roll bar... But how are you guys putting the top up from the drivers seat? I have to get out and lift. Don't see any way around that.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I lean back and toward the middle of the car, reach back with my right arm, grab the slot in the roof. Then I reach back with my left hand and grab my right wrist. Then pull it up.. I'm about 5'6", 160 lbs. I tried to show this big guy how to do it, but he just couldn't make the bend to reach it. So, either be under 6 ft or slim, or both.
    Last edited by zellamay; 07-21-2017 at 01:57 AM.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Having just had rotator cuff and bicep tenodisis surgeries in January, i'll stick with getting out and putting the top up from outside the car
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim95M3 View Post
    I have my top converted to manual, courtesy of an HMS roll bar... But how are you guys putting the top up from the drivers seat? I have to get out and lift. Don't see any way around that.
    Your roll bar is probably interfering with the process... I'd just reach over (arm laying over the center console subwoofer cover), grab the little handle and pull it straight up. I'd imagine that I'd be pulling right into the roll bar doing it that way though.
    Also - does the HMS require you to convert it to manual for some reason? If the top can open/lower manually over the roll bar, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to open and close with the power mechanism?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Your roll bar is probably interfering with the process... I'd just reach over (arm laying over the center console subwoofer cover), grab the little handle and pull it straight up. I'd imagine that I'd be pulling right into the roll bar doing it that way though.
    Also - does the HMS require you to convert it to manual for some reason? If the top can open/lower manually over the roll bar, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to open and close with the power mechanism?
    The bar gets right in the way of where the hydraulic ram would operate.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim95M3 View Post
    The bar gets right in the way of where the hydraulic ram would operate.
    My mind hears that and wonders "Well why can't I just re-mount the hydraulic arm in a slightly different spot to account for that"?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS