Thread: Tire wear question

My Cars
    1997 328i

Tire wear question

So, since I lowered my 328i on coilovers (JOM bluelines from ECS) a year ago, I've noticed my car now LOVES to eat rear tires. The stock 15" tires lasted about 5,000 miles and wore straight across evenly. Since getting my Contours, I'm noticing the same trend. Very even wear straight across and my alignment was done with no issues. Does anyone else have a similar issue? I tried searching, but came up empty handed. Now, this being my first BMW and first lowered BMW, I expected tire wear on the rears since I now have a staggered setup. Is this par for the course? Obviously without looking at the car and the alignment sheet which I do not have that is hard to say for certain. local shop said my alignment is good and there weren't any concerns so they could be right or they could be BS'ing me. I'm just looking for any advice anyone may have. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny, I didn't find anything in search. Maybe wasn't looking in the right place but found some threads in the suggestions or similar threads after I posted this! Guess I suck at the internets today

My Cars
    E36
    what are you alignment numbers? If you don't have them then assume they're garbage.

Sounds like too much toe in, although okay on camber? (typically we see inner tire wear due to lots of camber and a touch of toe in).

Could also be worn RTABushings but you'd probably notice the car pulling on accel/decel if this were the case.

Read this, then bring your alignment specs to the alignment shop. If they won't do them for you, don't use them.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...lignment+guide
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    What tires are you using? Getting your alignment specs is important. Lowering the car can change your toe a lot. The rear can only be adjusted so much on stock parts, so if you're very low its likely that you have much more toe in the rear than is necessary (or desired), which is leading to increased tire wear.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by mslevin View Post
    What tires are you using? Getting your alignment specs is important. Lowering the car can change your toe a lot. The rear can only be adjusted so much on stock parts, so if you're very low its likely that you have much more toe in the rear than is necessary (or desired), which is leading to increased tire wear.

I'm on Barum Bravuris, which we all know are not Pilot Sports. They're fine for my driving in this thing. I'll take it to another shop and get another opinion. Camber is fine, the inner edge isn't wearing any fast so it may be toe-in. Nothing noticed on driving and I had a different shop check out all of my mounts and I specifically mentioned the RTAB's and they said everything is good. I don't know if I mentioned it but I'm on M-Contours staggered set. Fronts are hardly wearing at all. Damn near perfect. I was thinking about raising the car up a little more to see if that helps, but sounds like I need to have another shop checkout my alignment specs.

Thank you both for your replies

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Let's be clear: factory alignment calls for far more toe in than you'll find in that thread about alignment. Read that thread before you go have it checked.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.