Thread: BMW first timer, 2005 X3 Questions

My Cars
    2005 BMW x3

BMW first timer, 2005 X3 Questions

Hi, everybody.

I bought my first BMW this summer from a used dealership in Eden Prairie, MN. It's a 2005 X3 with about 125k and a 6 speed manual. I simply love the handling and the ride, and all the idiosyncrasies that go along with it.

As with anything used, there are a couple emerging issues. My check engine light came on shortly after purchase (of course), but putting two and two together, I surmised that it was likely a fuel tank evaporator/ventilator error. Sure enough, when my mechanic buddy hooked up his diagnostic tool, that's the error that came up. Seems to be a pretty common cross-brand issue.

Today, though, I was driving and my BRAKE and ABS light came on. Steering, handling, stopping etc. don't seem to be any different, but I'm wondering what might have triggered this, and if it's a similar glitch-type error or something that's going to warrant some work?

I did a little googling, and I don't have the trifecta of BRAKE/ABS/4WD lights...just the two.

Thanks!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! It may be a wheel speed sensor that needs replacing; I would look into that. I'm attaching a link to our site's DIY tech articles on the X3 platform, including the wheel speed sensor procedure. If you have any additional questions, feel free to post a Comment just below the article and one of our techs will get back to you with details. Hope this helps and best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2005 BMW x3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum! It may be a wheel speed sensor that needs replacing; I would look into that. I'm attaching a link to our site's DIY tech articles on the X3 platform, including the wheel speed sensor procedure. If you have any additional questions, feel free to post a Comment just below the article and one of our techs will get back to you with details. Hope this helps and best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
    Thanks for the reply! Upon further examination, I've noticed that it has been accompanied by an electrical disturbance of some kind. Intermittently, the radio will blink off for about a second, and the aforementioned indicators will light up. There is a little bit of headlight flicker/flutter going on, too. It's sporadic, as last night and today I haven't had any problems. I'm going on a longer road-trip tomorrow, so I'll be sure to note the circumstances when this happens. As of today, however, my gut is telling me there's something electrical going on.