eBMWParts

Thread: Modifying the air suspension on X5

My Cars
    X5

Modifying the air suspension on X5

I just recently bought a mint 2002 X5 ... I have a bit of time and money into it , new timing chain ,starter water pump ,complete tuneup. I'm having the dreaded suspension issues with the stock air system .The last owner had put a ton of money into the suspension. I have a slow leak somewhere , I haven't tracked it down yet. Dash Panel switch never seems to work right . I'm way over it but I do want to keep the air suspension. So my thinking is I'm going to plum in a Air Lift 72000 kit .. it's wireless kit comes with the compressor , lines and air valve bank.. i'm not going to totally gut the old system I'm just going to tap in to it. That set up is for right and left two airbags , but I'm going to use as front and rear . This way I can lower it all the way down lift it up to a desired ride height and make a preset on the control system. it has a couple presents. I'm not sure what's gonna happen with codes and sensors.. i'm sure there is ways around it.. any thoughts any help ? Thanks

My Cars
    Yes, please.
    Try and rehab the installed system to working condition. If you have the owners manual to learn about how the system functions you might be able to better understand what you get with the air suspension system and how it works.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If the only apparent problems are unknown leak locations in the system,
    and the PO has already refreshed most of the system already,
    I agree with Jugglenut and his recommendations.
    Maybe the previous owner performed hoses and other parts replacements,
    but didn't properly install them.

Have you performed any diagnostics on the vehicle?
    A scan with a BMW specific scan tool/software can provide needed clues for diagnosis.
    I would first learn how the BMW system operates, before attempting modifications.

My Cars
    X5
    My buddy owns a shop where I had the timing chain done . At this time his diagnostics machine is down . So let me explain it does not leak out totally flat it looks like it's got lowered coil springs on it when I get out in the morning I open the door and put the key in close the door I hear the pump go on and used airway up now and just airs up a little anough to drive fine. I can't go up or down on the button on the dash it just blinks a few times stays in the middle. All fuses are good in the glove box in the back relays seem to be fine compressor works. Personally I don't think there's any leaks in any of the bags ,I think there's a leak with the compressor or around the compressor but my switch on the dash does nothing...yes I would love to keep the system and working the way it is supposed to ,not have to go in and mod it with a new air Compressor and control unit.

My Cars
    X5
    I think I've read every post from every form on the BMW air suspension out there. I'm going to soap the whole system and I'm thinking I may need new bags. I know where to get good ines at a good low price so it's start. Here's the best read I've found on the air system.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...suspension-sag