Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spray-in Interior Heat Barrier - Anyone?

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2

Spray-in Interior Heat Barrier - Anyone?

Anyone have experience with the spray-in heat and sound deadening barriers like Lizard Skin? I've been under the car for the past couple of days applying DEI Heat Shield. I don't know if Jai lurks here any longer be he said one of the biggest disappointments of his swap was an uncomfortable amount of heat in the foot well and around the shifter. It would be a shame if the project comes all together and is unenjoyable to drive because of excessive cabin heat.

Obviously, I'm trying to address this on the underside with the DEI product. But I currently have so much of the interior removed, I'm wondering if it's worth the extra effort to remove the carpet to apply a spray-in barrier. I don't want to remove all of the interior wiring, so hopefully I can work around that. And I guess I'd have to cut the carpet to remove it without removing the heater core. But from what I understand, the necessary carpet cut is hidden when the console is installed.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Tipsy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWEtrHOsV1s

https://youtu.be/mTKAxH7i0t0?t=2m26s
    Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 07-18-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Subbed..the passenger foot area on the tunnel side pumps a good bit of heat into my car as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    i've got nothing to add.
    but i'm in for results.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    I just watched the Miata video in my first post again and decided spray-in is too much hassle.

But I'm wondering if I can lift the carpet enough without fully removing it (don't really want to make the cuts necessary to remove the carpet with the heater box in place) to install some additional heat shield/sound deadening mat on the floor and tunnel?

Thoughts?

Tipsy

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    I live in Canada and can't imagine what the guys in the southern states do for heat coming from the foot and console areas. A/C units must be working overtime. In mine on a warm day (25* Celsius) after about 45 minutes driving around town the console starts to get warm. It's totally bareable but the hear source is noticeable. I also have all the OEM insulation on the trans tunnel and firewall still.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydjoe View Post
    I live in Canada and can't imagine what the guys in the southern states do for heat coming from the foot and console areas. A/C units must be working overtime. In mine on a warm day (25* Celsius) after about 45 minutes driving around town the console starts to get warm. It's totally bareable but the hear source is noticeable. I also have all the OEM insulation on the trans tunnel and firewall still.
    That's actually very discouraging and exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Are you saying you have only the OE insulation and nothing else? When I removed the OE firewall insulation from my car, the exterior cardboard was intact but the material sandwiched inside was completely disintegrated. It literally poured out like dust.

It looks like the only way I'd be able to add any heat barrier inside the cabin is to either remove the dash and remove the heater core so the carpet can be removed without cutting it. Or bite-the-bullet and cut the carpet (the more likely scenario).

As I've written many times, I'd hate to get thing on the road and not want to drive it because it's uncomfortable.

Any other personal experiences with cabin heat?

Tipsy

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    Also have what ever may lie below the carpet, never removed it to look. My firewall insulation might be like yours, it looked great from the outside and fairly low mileage car so I wasn't concerned.

The heat isn't unbearable for me, I normally drive with the rear windows open and set the hvac controls to my feet. In my mind it helps to remove the heat a bit, but it's still not a fix.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydjoe View Post
    Also have what ever may lie below the carpet, never removed it to look. My firewall insulation might be like yours, it looked great from the outside and fairly low mileage car so I wasn't concerned.

The heat isn't unbearable for me, I normally drive with the rear windows open and set the hvac controls to my feet. In my mind it helps to remove the heat a bit, but it's still not a fix.
    So you have no additional heat barrier other than what came from the factory.

I'm in FL and intend to get the A/C functioning. I sure as hell don't want to drive around with the windows open to mitigate cabin heat. Doing so in FL would surely have the opposite effect. But even so, A/C, if anything, is a Band-Aid...not a solution.

Tipsy

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Tipsy: I plan to use similar foil backed sheets that you used on the firewall. I've used that on another project and it worked quite well...admittedly not a tight-fitting E36.

I will likely use a similar product under the carpet too...I shy away from something that is far more permanent like spray on-at least far more painful to remove.

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    I used lizard skin and then the ceramic coating under the car. As well I used glue on heat shield under the car. My biggest issue was noise not heat. I have never noticed my footwell getting hot but then last time I had it out was a father's day 200 mile run through mountains and it was jacket weather. Lizard skin made a heck of a mess on the floor, my shirt my airhose etc.

Years ago I had a C class motorhome with a 400 chev and headers. The headers were about an inch away from the tunnel and the gas pedal on the other side. THAT was hot especially through Las Vegas in summer with no AC!
    Last edited by Albertan; 07-25-2017 at 12:49 PM.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by Albertan View Post
    I used lizard skin and then the ceramic coating under the car. As well I used glue on heat shield under the car. My biggest issue was noise not heat. I have never noticed my footwell getting hot but then last time I had it out was a father's day 200 mile run through mountains and it was jacket weather. Lizard skin made a heck of a mess on the floor, my shirt my airhose etc.

Years ago I had a C class motorhome with a 400 chev and headers. The headers were about an inch away from the tunnel and the gas pedal on the other side. THAT was hot especially through Las Vegas in summer with no AC!
    Wow...so you have adhesive barrier on top of spray-on barrier...all on the underside of the car? That's definitely a belt and suspenders approach.

I've pretty much completed applying adhesive barrier to the underside of the car. I think I'm going to get the car on the road and see how it is. I guess I can always remove the carpet and replace the factory under-carpet sound deadening with a more effective heat barrier down the road, if need be. For the time being, I really don't want to hack-up the carpet to remove it.

I'm surprised you had that much of an issue with noise, though. I remember Braap writing that he could barely hear the engine, through the stock M3 muffler.

Tipsy

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    Tipsy
    That is what mine looked like underneath. My noise could be as a result: Texas Speed 418 ci 600 hp engine, full 3" stainless exhaust, 2 4" dia race mufflers and now I have a magnaflow dual 3" in and out muffler added at back. I also have small cats, x pipe and inserts in the pipes. Before the magnaflow, I had 2 resonators then I was 90db inside. Now I'm 86 ish inside. My wife won't ride in it unless I use extreme measures!

- - - Updated - - -

Underside when all assembled more or less.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    My noise could be as a result: Texas Speed 418 ci 600 hp engine, full 3" stainless exhaust, 2 4" dia race mufflers...Before the magnaflow, I had 2 resonators then I was 90db inside. Now I'm 86 ish inside. My wife won't ride in it unless I use extreme measures!
    Yeah, I guess that setup would make for a noisy cockpit. I'm not going that extreme. Just an LS2 with a cam and 2.5" exhaust with yet to be decided muffler(s).

Tipsy

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    2 1/2" exhaust will make all the difference.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    The only time my car had hot foot wells was when I had a hole in the firewall for an oversized clutch MC.
    ive since changed the MC and patched the hole.
    feet are fine even on long drives.

no heat shielding at all.
    no wrap on headers or y-pipe.

not sure if I'm less tuned into the heat or if my car is a heat-shedding aberration.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    The only time my car had hot foot wells was when I had a hole in the firewall for an oversized clutch MC.
    ive since changed the MC and patched the hole.
    feet are fine even on long drives.

no heat shielding at all.
    no wrap on headers or y-pipe.

not sure if I'm less tuned into the heat or if my car is a heat-shedding aberration.
    Good feedback. Thanks!

Tipsy

My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Who did you buy the sheets from for under the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkpgt96 View Post
    Who did you buy the sheets from for under the car?
    DEI 050502 and Thermo-Tec Cool-It 13575. Both from Amazon.

Tipsy

My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '92 BMW 735i(W/383 GM)
    The under car insulation looks great! I don't think you will have any interior heat issues. I've been following you progress from the start, I'd like to meet up when you're done.

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    Tipsey
    You have been on this forum for a long time. Didn't you have an e36 LS swap years ago? I thought I had read about it and seem to remember
    getting advise from you.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    TipseyYou have been on this forum for a long time. Didn't you have an e36 LS swap years ago? I thought I had read about it and seem to remembergetting advise from you.
    LOL...yeah, I've been around for a few years. And I've been working on my LS2/E36 swap for a few years. I know it's pathetic how long it's been but the reality is that I've only worked on it a handful a days each year. I travel for a living (I'm in Kazakhstan as I write this) and I split my home time between FL (where the car is) and NYC.

The balance of my time in FL for the past two years has been dominated by several large home improvement projects, so the car has taken a back seat.

All that said, I'm motivated to get back at it (even though I'm in the middle of renovating a bathroom) and hope to have some good progress to report soon.

Tipsy
    Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 08-05-2017 at 06:35 PM.

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    Ah, just read your build thread. No wonder you sounded familiar. 2014 is when I was doing mine. I finished in 2015 and have been driving it on and off ever since.
    Mostly off.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    I finished in 2015 and have been driving it on and off ever since.
    Mostly off.
    Why haven't you been driving it more often?

Tipsy

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    I take it to our local BMW cars and coffee. Car shows and father's day drives. I just finished rebuilding a 2002E46 M3 so I have to drive it as well. Then I have my original 2006 CTSV for road trips and daily when nice. Right now we are in Las Vegas but we took my truck. Daughter came along and she had enough stuff to overflow the car.
    Then I have another E46 M3 that I never drive. Just too many.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast