My Cars
    2001 X5, 2002 & 2003 525

2008 x5 transmission malfunction help!!!! E70

I have a 2008 X5 I am getting the transmission malfunction message which will clear when I shut off, only to reappear. This is reappearing more frequently and it seems to take longer for error to come up if you have the transmission in Sport mode. It wants to throw the code between 3500 to 4000 RPM's. I have had a good indy mechanic look at it, and he's had it for weeks but can't figure out the problem. He doesn't think it's transmission, as he has replaced solenoids in valve body and there is no metal or any indication in fluid when he drops the pan. (metal flakes, etc.) Car has 168k on it. I know I've heard of battery issues, alternator, wiring issues, crankshaft position sensor on and on. ANY IDEAS would be helpful before I just trade it in. BMW gave me their normal replace the transmission. Sometimes when it occurs it will throw a check engine light but my code reader can't recognize it, it says N/A. It always goes out before I can get it back to the indy. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    You need a BMW specific diagnostic tool that can communicate with all BMW computer modules,
    specifically the EGS, or the transmission computer module.

My Cars
    09 X5
    I wish I could help. Trying to keep the topic up hopefully someone has more info.

Just make sure you are not mistaking it with the abs/dtc/dsc/ malfunction. That can be easily fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 4.8
    Quote Originally Posted by hshakarami View Post
    I wish I could help. Trying to keep the topic up hopefully someone has more info.

Just make sure you are not mistaking it with the abs/dtc/dsc/ malfunction. That can be easily fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the easy fix to that?

Thank you.

My Cars
    09 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by philk028 View Post
    What is the easy fix to that?Thank you.
    So I had some issues with AWD and DSC, my loads of diagnostics and experiments concluded that it is the battery making the DSC module feel so ill.For short answer: There is a black plastic gear in the actuator motor, that is worn out as it ages.Simply replace remove that and inspect it to see whether it is worn out or not. If yes, replace it. And see how it goes.But before going this route, are you sure your battery is Okay? You need to know the battery voltage when the engines running, when the engine is OFF, and on a cold start, basically your voltage in the morning.If it is below 12.6, that indicates battery issue.Now the issue can be simply an old battery, that needs to be replaced, or the battery never been registered, or coded. In order to rule this out, you need to have DIS57, or ISTA-D or INPA or Toolset32 programs. Basically you need BMW special softwares. Start with ISta-DOnce you have ista-D installed, connect it to your car, and run a diagnostic test. ISTA-D is the same diagnostic tool the dealer uses.It will show you everything about your car: Any possible fault codes, a description of the fault code, an action plan and how to repair it.Also you can find out about your battery state of charge, if it is registered, history of battery change and everything you can imagine about your car.Do a research in Bimmerfest coding section.:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=936877