Thread: Manual Operation of Top?

My Cars
    2009 328i Sportwagon

Manual Operation of Top?

I'm looking at a 2003 Z4 whose top doesn't work. The owner says you have to operate it manually. Can that be done? How do you do it? Does it take 2 people? Any guesses as to what is wrong and how much to fix it?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Take a look at the 2 links below from our site's DIY tech articles, it should give you a better idea of the top's function and cost of repairs. Please let us know if you have any questions!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...rtible_Top.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2009 328i Sportwagon
    Thank you Pelican for the reply but after reading the links I could not answer the questions I had asked. That is:

1. Can you operate an electric top that doesn't work manually?
    2. The tops I have operated do not appear to have a release and locking lever that would allow a manual operation of the broken electric top. Is there one?

Edit: Nevermind. I read the link again and saw the manual operation steps. Wow! Not like my old Alfa, or a Miata, I suspect. So the question is what is approximate cost of fixing broken top whose canvas is ok but probably has a bad motor or broken components. $300, $500, $1,000?
    Last edited by jborchel; 07-18-2017 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5i
    There is a design flaw that drowns the pump/motor assembly. Very common problem. You're looking at 600 for the part.

The potential good news ( depending on your point of view ) is that you can disconnect the hydraulics, leave the electric latches, and get along just fine.

I got into a Z4 for almost nothing because if this silver lining.

My Cars
    2009 328i Sportwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by pbpbpb View Post
    There is a design flaw that drowns the pump/motor assembly. Very common problem. You're looking at 600 for the part.

The potential good news ( depending on your point of view ) is that you can disconnect the hydraulics, leave the electric latches, and get along just fine.

I got into a Z4 for almost nothing because if this silver lining.
    If you do the hydraulics disconnect method how do you lock down the top? As I have been driving these things I test the top and it seems there is one screw like connector in the center. Are there latches on the sides that lock or unlock when you press on the top lowering and raising buttons? So if I follow the instructions in the Pelican link above, or have a mechanic do it, I can then operate the top manually and it will lock or unlock in place by using the two buttons?

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    The buttons will lock/unlock the top, but lifting it to close is not easy without two people. It's hard to reach to the center and lifting from one side only could cause damage. Standing on the seats would work but then you might damage the load sensors for the seatbelt.

The cable to releave the pressure the pressure on the system may be frozen at the pump like mine was and removing the pump from the well is then necessary. Or the hoses could be cut like the dealer did to mine.

My Cars
    2006 Z4 ///M
    Personally, I'd keep looking, unless the seller is willing to cut his price quite a bit to compensate for the repairs.
    2006 Z4 ///M - Interlagos Blue/Beige

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by jborchel View Post
    operate it manually. Can that be done? How do you do it? Does it take 2 people? Any guesses as to what is wrong and how much to fix it?
    Yes, it can be manually done. Ensure the red hoop in trunk, top back, look for little red hoop. Pull out and spin 90 degrees so it locks out. Make sure the travel shelf is fully down while you're in the trunk. Two dials, one on each side that you can dial up or down depending on your preference for top being down or more room for luggage. This releases the hydraulic pressure from pump. Then when in the car, push the roof open/close to lock or unlock from top and push up and back. This is when the normal person gets out of car and pushes the lid all the way down until it clicks. There is a rather large button towards top back of center console to unlock the lid when you're ready to put it back.
    If you're actually planning on buying the car then have the current owner show you how it's done? The cost... If it is just the pump and you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have a buddy to help you lift the roof out. I paid $455 for the hydraulic motor(54347193448) alone. If it's the line(s) that may have failed, they are not cheap!? Left(short) 54347119639 and Right(longer) 54347119640... If you are not mechanically inclined, find a local bmw enthusiasts club and see if they will help you? I would help but I'm in Ohio and it's a bit of a drive to get to PV, Ca.(~2200 miles one way). Or you can look up local shops that install replacement tops and they may be willing to pull and install new motor? If you are rich, then make an appt at local bmw dealer to have it done.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5i
    On my '03, I use the console button, which runs the motor to unlatch the top. I manually lower the top, which will leave a flashing red light. Then, I push the 'open' button again which re-engages the latch motor to lock the lowered top to the chassis.

Closing is the opposite. I can reach into the center to do it, since I'm 6'1" and fairly strong. A smaller person might not be able to lift the top as easily as I do. I would not recommend lifting from the near edge only -- it would rack everything.

Understand that this solution isn't for everyone. I'm on a budget and it's not my biggest problem. Also, I have a garage so I don't put the top up and down quite as often as some might.

My Cars
    2008 Z4
    ^^ this is what I do as mine just went out again (2nd time) after fixing it a few years back. I am only 5'9" but am.able to lower and raise it From within the drivers seat. My wife not so much...
    I'll get around to fixing it again but it just is not at the top of the list right now.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0. Silver
    Good info here. However in my situation, the buttons lock/unlock the top stopped working with the top down. If I can get it unlocked and lifted manually following the guidance mentioned, how do I lock it the the windshield manually?

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilotace2112 View Post
    Good info here. However in my situation, the buttons lock/unlock the top stopped working with the top down. If I can get it unlocked and lifted manually following the guidance mentioned, how do I lock it the the windshield manually?
    I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong here but there is a mechanism front-center-top that you pop the cover and use an allen wrench to lock/release the hooks that lock the lid down? It sounds kind of like the sunroof cranks in my kids e30's.
    Look in the owners manual and refer to pg 23. or google 2003 bmw z4 owners manual pdf and you'll find a number of resources to download a copy of it.
    You can actually get them from bmw.com

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong here but there is a mechanism front-center-top that you pop the cover and use an allen wrench to lock/release the hooks that lock the lid down? It sounds kind of like the sunroof cranks in my kids e30's.
    Look in the owners manual and refer to pg 23. or google 2003 bmw z4 owners manual pdf and you'll find a number of resources to download a copy of it.
    You can actually get them from bmw.com
    Correct
    That plastic cover on the front of the top pops off, under it is a manual override. I think the tools for it originally came in the trunk tool kit.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0. Silver
    With no power to a down top, I tried the recommendations found here and in the owners manual. After pulling then turning to lock the red cord in place for the top hydrolic shut off, I then had my wife pull and hold the cord found in the center of the trunk. It seemed to want to migrate into place. I then pushed the upper button between the seats and struggled to wiggle the top up but I was able to get it moving and easily brought down towards the winshield. At this point I popped that cover off on the inside center of the top and found the hole to insert the Allen wrench. Turning it left many times opened the grab hook things to fit into the slots so be sure to open wide enough so both clear the latch post. While in the driver seat, pull the top downward to help guide both grab hooks down into the slots while turning the Allen wrench to the right to slowly squeeze the grab hooks and the top will slowly lock down. Make it snug but don't over tighten. Raise the windows if able and your done.