Thread: bmw 135i brake service

My Cars
    BMW 135i

Thumbs down bmw 135i brake service

I just bought my first bmw less than a week ago. its a 135i, alpine white exterior and coral red interior, navigation, M sport package, 6mt. Car is super clean and i am very excited. However, i was under the impression the car was up-to-date on maintenance. Now its telling me to service the brake fluid as well as the front/rear pads. I inspected the pads. They seem to have about 80% life left. The rotors in the rear are fine. In the front not so much. seems like the previous owner rode the brakes a lot and completely destroyed the rotors. All warped and wavy touch to the surface. brake fluid is at max level and is clear. Is there actually anything wrong with my braking system or should i take it into a dealership? They want $135 to look at it when ive heard they do a service for it for $140. I am capable of replacing everything myself I just would rather save the money because i just bought the car. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    If you found the rotors to be wrapped, I would definitely take care of that asap. I also have a 135i and it tends to go through pads a bit quicker than other BMWs (6 piston caliper and 13 inch rotors....a lot of brake). If you're able to do it yourself, go that route. You'll appreciate your new car that much more when it's all taken care of and perfect. Post some photos of it too - mine is sapphire black with coral red interior.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    BMW 135i
    Honestly hard to tell if theyre warped because they are still on the car. steering wheel shakes when braking so that's my best guess. you can see a bunch of grooves all over the face of the front rotors. pads looks new. does seem kinda odd being that the 6 piston pads and the rears would ware differently but my car says to replace them at the same time. I found set of 4 drilled/slotted w/pads on sale for $419 (originally $597). I was very skeptical on the coral red but after having it for a few days I am so glad I went with it! will not let me attach pictures.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    The front calipers are 6 piston, the rears are 2 piston. Did you have someone look at the front rotors? Sounds like a warp if you have a shaky wheel while braking.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    BMW 135i
    Honestly hard to tell if theyre warped because they are still on the car. steering wheel shakes when braking so that's my best guess. you can see a bunch of grooves all over the face of the front rotors. pads looks new. does seem kinda odd being that the 6 piston pads and the rears would ware differently but my car says to replace them at the same time. I found set of 4 drilled/slotted w/pads on sale for $419 (originally $597). I was very skeptical on the coral red but after having it for a few days I am so glad I went with it! will not let me attach pictures.

My Cars
    BMW 135i
    I was able to get the car up in the air last night. pads in the rear could be replaced, brake fluid is as clear as it should be. fronts seemed to be fine. Might just have to swap the rear pads and then next spring do rotors and pads again.