Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Dual Purpose Tire - Track and Autocross

My Cars
    2005 M3,1999 528i

Dual Purpose Tire - Track and Autocross

I have a well prepped E46 M3 that I use for both track and autocross. I have used and been pleased with several sets of Dunlop Direzza Star Specs beginning with the Z1 thru Z2. I recently tried the Bridgestone RE-71r which I found to have excellent grip but an extremely high wear rate. After approx.fifty autocross runs and six track days and they are down to the wear bars and barely visible tread pattern with the outer edges being virtually smooth despite running -3.3f/-1.9r camber. I ran them backwards the last two track days to try to get through the event. I have had exceptionally good wear from the Dunlops running the exact same set up for several years. The Bridgestones also get greasy toward the end of a twenty minute session and grip falls off noticeably so not sure I want to try them again despite their exceptional grip.

In looking at my next set I'm considering another set of Z2s (most expensive) or possibly the Hankook RS-4 9least expensive) which seems to get decent track reviews but not so good autocross reviews which seems to be in part at least to relatively soft sidewalls. I love the immediate response of the Dunlops and Bridgestones so not sure I'd like the Hankooks unless someone has had a good experience with them. Not interested in NT-01s or similar since wet grip is important to me. So,looking for feedback primarily on the Hankooks in both track and autocross use. Other than the three tires mentioned I'm not sure what else would give me what I'm looking for. The safe but most expensive choice is probably the Star Spec 2 or bite the bullet and shell out for the Bridgestones which disappear before your eyes. Looking forward to release of the Z3 next year but need something sooner than that.

FWIW I run a square set up using 275/35-18s on a 9.5 in. rim.
    Mike Kenney
    E46 M3

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I would also check out the Hankook ventus v12 evo2 - I run those on my 135i, haven't tracked it; but know of a few people who've used those Hankooks to track - they were fans.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2005 M3,1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    I would also check out the Hankook ventus v12 evo2 - I run those on my 135i, haven't tracked it; but know of a few people who've used those Hankooks to track - they were fans.
    The three tires I referenced are all categorized as extreme performance summer tires so in a different league than the Hankook v12s which are primarily a street tire. I plan to stick to that category but thanks for responding. I'm a customer of Pelican Parts BTW and consider it a great source for parts.
    Mike Kenney
    E46 M3

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I was in a similar situation. I got the RS4's rather than pay way more for star specs or wait another year for the new star specs. My car is a daily driver that sees the track a couple times a year.

I don't autox, but from what I've read the RE71R's are more or less the consensus fastest/stickiest tire, but as you said they are not durable at all. Anyways, I think you've basically got it figured out; it's a cost/benefit between the star specs and the RS4's. If money is no object, get the RE71R's and buy tires constantly.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    How long would RA1s last given your usage?

My Cars
    2005 M3,1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    How long would RA1s last given your usage?
    Wear may not be an issue but I will be driving to/from events so need to be able to drive in rain as well. Also,for autocross I don't think they heat up quick enough. I'll probably go with the Star Specs again since I'm not sure I'd like the soft sidewalls of the RS-4 for autocross. I do think the RA1s would be a tire I'd like to try at some point.
    Mike Kenney
    E46 M3

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    RA1s are fine in rain. Don't know about how fast they best up though.